Wikiposts

change of h1b visa

Old May 16th 2001, 11:48 am
Cysekhar

i am currently on h1b visa (software professional), my sister is a doctor and has a
clinic of her own which has computers and also needs a manager/accounts person. Can i
change my status or get some kind of visa so that i may work in her place. Please can
some one send me suggestions on what to do.

Old May 16th 2001, 12:31 pm
OtisUsenet

I do not think that INS would let your mother do sponsor you in her own clinic. That
would be too obvious.

Has anyone done that? I'd be curious...

>
    >
    >
    >

Old May 16th 2001, 1:34 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Cysekhar wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >

It's possible. You and your sister will need to hire a very good immigration attorney
to prepare the H-1B petition. The job has to be described in such a way, and
sufficient evidence has to be presented, that INS is convinced that a bachelor's
degree in a certain field is required to adequately perform the duties, and that you
have at least the equivalent of such a bachelor's degree. Also, you must be paid the
prevailing wage for such a job.

This kind of manager/accounting/computer job is a wobbler. It may or may not
require a bachelor's degree in general. The employer has to convince INS that
*this particular* job situation requires a bachelor's degree because it is
particularly complex.

If the elements of the H-1B are met to INS's satisfaction, you can get H-1B status.
It does not necessarily matter that the business owner is your sister.

Old May 17th 2001, 2:55 am
anwar

Also you can throw in some special language skills needed to deal with your sister's
patients. Provided majority are from your ethenic background. Good Luck.

Sylvia Ottemoeller wrote:
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > i am currently on h1b visa (software professional), my sister is a doctor and has[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > a clinic of her own which has computers and also needs a manager/accounts person.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Can i change my status or get some kind of visa so that i may work in her place.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Please can some one send me suggestions on what to do.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 17th 2001, 5:53 am
John Kao

It's definitely possible. As long as the person has the required skill for that
position, the INS does not care who owns the business.

I know a friend that did it, not immediate relative like sister or mother,
but a cousin.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > i am currently on h1b visa (software professional), my sister is a doctor and has[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > a clinic of her own which has computers and also needs a manager/accounts person.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Can i change my status or get some kind of visa so that i may work in her place.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Please can some one send me suggestions on what to do.[/usenetquote2]