Reload this Page >

Change from F-1 to L-2, EAD

Wikiposts

Change from F-1 to L-2, EAD

Old Feb 10th 2004, 3:44 am
Just Joined

DeniseM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change from F-1 to L-2, EAD

I am in the US with a F-1 visa and I work based on a EAD (OPT) which expires in June. I will change my status to L-2 but I am wondering what will happen with my work permit. If I change my status now and I apply for a new EAD based on my new status, does that mean I do not have work authorization while my application for the new EAD (which is based on my L-2 status) is pending because I am a L-2 and not a F-1 anymore? What are my options? Thank you!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Change from F-1 to L-2, EAD

until the status change has been approved or denied, you can still use your old EAD.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your answer. Reading it, I realized that my question was not clear; I apologize. My idea is to go back to my home country now to get the L-2, because the change of status in the US is more complicated than just going home and get the L-2. However, if I am going home in February that will mean that the next time I reenter the U.S. in March, I will be a L-2 and not a F-1 anymore. Having the L-2, I could apply for my new EAD based on my L-2 status. However, I would like to work during the time my application for the L-2 EAD is pending and the question is can I do that based on my old EAD which is based on my F-1 status. Or in other words: although I have changed my status I would like to continue using my old EAD until I get my new EAD. Is that okay? And if not, what are my options? Shall I apply for a change of status here in the US (I-539) and apply at the same time for my EAD (I-765) hoping that both will be handled the same time so that I get my new status and my new EAD before my old EAD expires in June?
Old Feb 11th 2004, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Ivonne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DeniseM
Thank you for your answer. Reading it, I realized that my question was not clear; I apologize. My idea is to go back to my home country now to get the L-2, because the change of status in the US is more complicated than just going home and get the L-2. However, if I am going home in February that will mean that the next time I reenter the U.S. in March, I will be a L-2 and not a F-1 anymore. Having the L-2, I could apply for my new EAD based on my L-2 status. However, I would like to work during the time my application for the L-2 EAD is pending and the question is can I do that based on my old EAD which is based on my F-1 status. Or in other words: although I have changed my status I would like to continue using my old EAD until I get my new EAD. Is that okay? And if not, what are my options? Shall I apply for a change of status here in the US (I-539) and apply at the same time for my EAD (I-765) hoping that both will be handled the same time so that I get my new status and my new EAD before my old EAD expires in June?
Denise, I am also in a similar position. Just, that I am already an L2, but I have to change to E2 (because my husbands company is changing his status from L to E in the near future). I am also going to my homecountry to get the new E-visa and will be in E status the minute I enter on that visa.

I did some research, and I am not sure, but almost 100%: as soon as your status changes, you can not go on working on your old EAD because this one is tied to your previous status. You will have to ask for a new EAD in your new status.

So, I also have to wait for my E2-EAD, which means: quitting my job for at least 3 months (thats usually how long it takes to get it) and hoping, that they will take me back after three months...
It will be a hard time for us to not have my income...
Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Ivonne
Denise, I am also in a similar position. Just, that I am already an L2, but I have to change to E2 (because my husbands company is changing his status from L to E in the near future). I am also going to my homecountry to get the new E-visa and will be in E status the minute I enter on that visa.

I did some research, and I am not sure, but almost 100%: as soon as your status changes, you can not go on working on your old EAD because this one is tied to your previous status. You will have to ask for a new EAD in your new status.

So, I also have to wait for my E2-EAD, which means: quitting my job for at least 3 months (thats usually how long it takes to get it) and hoping, that they will take me back after three months...
It will be a hard time for us to not have my income...

Ivonne, thank you so much for your answer, although of course I really do not like it and I keep thinking there must be other options than giving up our jobs!
Old Feb 12th 2004, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ivonne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DeniseM
Ivonne, thank you so much for your answer, although of course I really do not like it and I keep thinking there must be other options than giving up our jobs!
I'd like to think too, that there are other options than quitting the job, but unfortunately I havn't found any. If you find one, let me know!