Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Change of address not recorded

Change of address not recorded

Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Change of address not recorded

Had a call from the in-laws last night. They received a letter from USCIS in VT addressed to me to advise that my CR-1 Green Card is expiring. This is as expected, but shouldn't it have come to my address rather than my sponsor?

I filed an AR-11 (Alien's Change of Address Card) 18 months ago which was confirmed. I just hope it doesn't affect my removal of conditions, as changes of address have to be done within 10 days. Should I enclose the AR-11 confirmation with my i-751 or just hope it all works out?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of address not recorded

The AR-11 itself is not a "change of address" with USCIS. You should have called their 800 number to do the change, and/or sent something in writing.

But it's OK. Don't worry about it. Just submit the I-751 when it's due and use your current, correct address. USCIS will mail your 10-year green card to the address you put on the I-751.

You could even call USCIS now, if you want, to verify your address and if it's still your in-laws, update it with them over the phone.

You don't need to include the AR-11 with the I-751, no. They are not related.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Noorah you are a font of knowledge as always!
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

She's a small bowl of holy water in a church?????? ...or a typeface?????

Oh....Ohh...you mean 'FOUNT"!

Old Feb 9th 2014, 10:54 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
The AR-11 itself is not a "change of address" with USCIS. You should have called their 800 number to do the change, and/or sent something in writing.

But it's OK. Don't worry about it. Just submit the I-751 when it's due and use your current, correct address. USCIS will mail your 10-year green card to the address you put on the I-751.

You could even call USCIS now, if you want, to verify your address and if it's still your in-laws, update it with them over the phone.

You don't need to include the AR-11 with the I-751, no. They are not related.

Rene
What's the point of the AR-11 if not to change the address on record? Why should one phone for this when a form apparently exists? Not debating I stress, just interested to know as I will be moving home soon.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace View Post
What's the point of the AR-11 if not to change the address on record?
The AR-11 is a reporting requirement only. It tells them only where you are physically located... which may or may not be a permanent address. It does not update your address if you have an ongoing application. I agree that it sounds a bit ridiculous... but, well... there it is!

Ian
Old Feb 9th 2014, 11:08 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
The AR-11 is a reporting requirement only. It tells them only where you are physically located... which may or may not be a permanent address. It does not update your address if you have an ongoing application. I agree that it sounds a bit ridiculous... but, well... there it is!

Ian
Well you learn something new everyday
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post

Ian
That's interesting. I'm a bit confused though- I also sent in the AR-11 along with the I-865 (change of sponsors address) when we moved (last year). This week I got a letter from the USCIS which went to my old address, but was returned to USCIS because our forwarding period had ended, it was then resent out to my actual address and inside they has enclosed an AR-11 form for me to fill in.

So, if it doesn't actually update your address why bother sending me another one to fill out? Seeing as they seem to have ignored the last one (AR-11) from myself and husband (I-865 sponsor), but must have had it filed as they did have my current address Hope that makes sense.

Have just had a look on the USCIS website. Two questions - How recent is a 'recently approved application/petition'? Does being on a two year green card qualify as a 'pending' application?

Last edited by Holliver; Jun 17th 2014 at 5:48 am. Reason: Looked up stuff on USCIS website.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver View Post
That's interesting. I'm a bit confused though- I also sent in the AR-11 along with the I-865 (change of sponsors address) when we moved (last year). This week I got a letter from the USCIS which went to my old address, but was returned to USCIS because our forwarding period had ended, it was then resent out to my actual address and inside they has enclosed an AR-11 form for me to fill in.

So, if it doesn't actually update your address why bother sending me another one to fill out? Seeing as they seem to have ignored the last one (AR-11) from myself and husband (I-865 sponsor), but must have had it filed as they did have my current address Hope that makes sense.

Have just had a look on the USCIS website. Two questions - How recent is a 'recently approved application/petition'? Does being on a two year green card qualify as a 'pending' application?
No. If you already have the card in hand, there's no application pending. Once you submit the I-751, then you will have an application pending.

Rene