Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

chances of a k1 holder being denied at the POE?

chances of a k1 holder being denied at the POE?

Old Jul 8th 2002, 9:20 pm
Chicky

Default chances of a k1 holder being denied at the POE?

Ok, to make a long story short, last December, my Canadian fiance attempted to come
into the US for a visit, but was turned away at the POE because of his lack of ties
to Canada. He wasn't given anything to sign and says they didn't do much else other
than tell him to go home and come back in 6-8 months when he could prove he intended
on returning. He did get "taken into into the little room" and "interogated", which
I've been told is sort of a standard procedure. When he was turned away, we hadn't
filed any of the k-1 forms, and he hasn't made any other attempts to come back in
here since the refusal or since we began filing in March.

Now, here we are 7 months later, and he's up for a interview in Vancouver on
Wednesday (7-10-02). Our forms are in order, the medical has been done, and we've
done more paperwork than I ever imagined possible (and I know this is only the
beginning of it). We have proof of relationship, support, etc, etc. There's just 2
questions we're looking for answers to:

::: On the DS-156, question #33 asked if he was ever refused entry
into the US. Knowing that the truth is always best when it comes to INS, I'd assume
that checking the box for "yes" is the correct thing to do, even if nothing was
signed? Is there such a thing as an "unofficial" refusal, as opposed to an "offical"
one that may involve paperwork at the POE?

::: Does anyone know if this prior refusal will adversely affect
either getting the visa or crossing the border?

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated

-- Crystal

Old Jul 9th 2002, 12:20 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: chances of a k1 holder being denied at the POE?

"Chicky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> ::: On the DS-156, question #33 asked if he was ever refused entry
    > into the US. Knowing that the truth is always best when it comes to INS, I'd assume
    > that checking the box for "yes" is the correct thing to do, even if nothing was
    > signed? Is there such a thing as an "unofficial" refusal, as opposed to an
    > "offical" one that may involve paperwork at the POE?

Sometimes on the borders they don't fill all the paperwork in but they probably did
since they "interviewed him". Like you said, answer truthfully, I doubt it will make
much difference to the processing - but it sure would if he lied and was caught! One
question: Did they fingerprint him? If so, sometimes the consulates send down for the
results of the checks done on those fingerprints and that can take some extra time.

> ::: Does anyone know if this prior refusal will adversely affect
    > either getting the visa or crossing the border?

If it holds anything up it will be getting the visa, it will not affect the border
crossing if he has a K-1 visa.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jul 9th 2002, 6:20 am
Chickygrrl

Nope, they didn't fingerprint him. Took him into a room, told him what they wanted to
see to have proof he was coming back, and when he didn't provide the proof they
wanted (ie. no job), they said "go home", and so he did.

--

The opinions above are solely those of a 12 year old hacker who has broken into my
account, and not those of my employer or any other organization.

TEST- www.chicky.net TEST-

"Chicky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Ok, to make a long story short, last December, my Canadian fiance attempted to come
    > into the US for a visit, but was turned away at the POE because of his lack of ties
    > to Canada. He wasn't given anything to sign and says they didn't do much else other
    > than tell him to go home and come back in 6-8 months when he could prove he
    > intended on returning. He did get "taken into into the little room" and
    > "interogated", which I've been told is sort of a standard procedure. When he was
    > turned away, we hadn't filed any of the k-1 forms, and he hasn't made any other
    > attempts to come back in here since the refusal or since we began filing in March.
    >
    > Now, here we are 7 months later, and he's up for a interview in Vancouver on
    > Wednesday (7-10-02). Our forms are in order, the medical has been done, and we've
    > done more paperwork than I ever imagined possible (and I know this is only the
    > beginning of it). We have proof of relationship, support, etc, etc. There's just 2
    > questions we're looking for answers to:
    >
    > ::: On the DS-156, question #33 asked if he was ever refused entry
    > into the US. Knowing that the truth is always best when it comes to INS, I'd assume
    > that checking the box for "yes" is the correct thing to do, even if nothing was
    > signed? Is there such a thing as an "unofficial" refusal, as opposed to an
    > "offical" one that may involve paperwork at the POE?
    >
    > ::: Does anyone know if this prior refusal will adversely affect
    > either getting the visa or crossing the border?
    >
    > Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > -- Crystal

Old Jul 9th 2002, 10:20 am
Ed

"If it holds anything up it will be getting the visa, it will not affect the border
crossing if he has a K-1 visa."

What do you mean, by holding up? Will I have to wait longer to get it? Will I be
denied yet again?

"Andy Platt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Chicky" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > ::: On the DS-156, question #33 asked if he was ever refused entry
    > > into the US. Knowing that the truth is always best when it comes to INS, I'd
    > > assume that checking the box for "yes" is the correct thing to do, even if
    > > nothing was signed? Is there such a thing as an "unofficial" refusal, as opposed
    > > to an "offical" one that may involve paperwork at the POE?
    >
    > Sometimes on the borders they don't fill all the paperwork in but they probably did
    > since they "interviewed him". Like you said, answer truthfully, I doubt it will
    > make much difference to the processing - but it sure would if he lied and was
    > caught! One question: Did they fingerprint him? If so, sometimes the consulates
    > send down for the results of the checks done on those fingerprints and that can
    > take some extra time.
    >
    > > ::: Does anyone know if this prior refusal will adversely affect
    > > either getting the visa or crossing the border?
    >
    > If it holds anything up it will be getting the visa, it will not affect the border
    > crossing if he has a K-1 visa.
    >
    > Andy.