Wikiposts

Central CT?

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

KarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really nice
Default Central CT?

Hello, just wondering if there are any other Brits in the Central CT area, and if so what you guys do over here and opinions of the areas etc? Also, does anyone know of any good places to get "English Stuff" in the area?

KJ
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:17 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central CT?

Originally Posted by KarinaJayne
Hello, just wondering if there are any other Brits in the Central CT area, and if so what you guys do over here and opinions of the areas etc? Also, does anyone know of any good places to get "English Stuff" in the area?

KJ
Hi KarinaJayne

We're not too far from you - right on the CT/MA border. Live in MA but both work in CT (not too far from the airport).

A lot of my Brit stuff I either bring from home when on trips or order from Amazon, but while out shopping locally I find that most of the supermarkets will stock a few items (Shaws, Stop & Shop, Big Y, Wholefoods). I also seem to remember there being a somewhat overpriced British shop somewhere near the coast... will have to look it up....

Is there anything in particular you're after? (I'll let you know if I've seen it anywhere).
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

KarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really niceKarinaJayne is just really nice

Hi tonrob, I'm really wondering how many brits are around here, as everytime I meet someone new they have a story about another brit they know, and assume I must know them too! There are a few things in the supermarket, but what I really want is some good instant coffee (Kenco Really Rich), as I can't get the hang of coffee machines, and I really miss Ribena which is at Stop & Shop but it's expensive. I found an English shop in Newtown, and the prices aren't really too bad, but it's small with a limited selection of stuff. Although, I'm thinking for Christmas there's nothing better than the HUGE tins of Quality Street or Roses, so maybe I'll take a trip. Don't know if you have the Stew Leonards stores near you, but they have Terry's Chocolate Oranges.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:46 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KarinaJayne
Hi tonrob, I'm really wondering how many brits are around here, as everytime I meet someone new they have a story about another brit they know, and assume I must know them too! There are a few things in the supermarket, but what I really want is some good instant coffee (Kenco Really Rich), as I can't get the hang of coffee machines, and I really miss Ribena which is at Stop & Shop but it's expensive. I found an English shop in Newtown, and the prices aren't really too bad, but it's small with a limited selection of stuff. Although, I'm thinking for Christmas there's nothing better than the HUGE tins of Quality Street or Roses, so maybe I'll take a trip. Don't know if you have the Stew Leonards stores near you, but they have Terry's Chocolate Oranges.
There's a fair few Brits around - there's a few working at my place who live in the West Hartford area.

British food is expensive, and I managed to get my head round paying the extra by reminding myself how many other (non-British) items are cheaper here, so it all kind of balances out in the end... Can't help with the instant coffee I'm afraid - I'm a tea man. Mrs tonrob drinks coffee but she uses one of those coffee maker thingies. As for a huge tin of Quality Street - not sure if one of the shops on Greenwich Ave in NYC has these but I don't think they ship. Still - good excuse to pop down and get a great big bag of proper chips!