Reload this Page >

Cathese K1 Visa experience at the Embassy in Lagos

Wikiposts

Cathese K1 Visa experience at the Embassy in Lagos

Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Cathese is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cathese K1 Visa experience at the Embassy in Lagos

Hi all, just to give a brief of my experience at the embassy in lagos.

My appointement was fixed for March 12,2004 at 7.00 a.m. I got there about 6.55 a.m, there was already a long queue. I joined the line and after some pushing and shoving and some confusion caused by the security guards finanally made my way inside the consulate at about 9.00 a.m.

Paid the required visa fee of $100.00 and we were advised to wait until the number alotted was called.

I was called after a long wait, a young Nigerian officer asked me for documents, tendered photocopy of my birth certificate, my pasport, the passport photos, she asked for my fiance documents, she collected all the originals, I was scared parting with the original documents for his property though. She collected the letters from his employers, tax returns and transcripts, Insurance. She collected my photographs and was not ven apprecaitive of the orgnaised way I had arranged them, she just removed all the explainations, and refused to take a typed explaination I had, selcted some of the photographs, collected the letter from the hospital which I had bee told to open at the gate. She also collected the original police report.(Do not forget to make copies of the police report for yourself). I also submitted printed copies of our chats and emails.

She then told me to wait until I was called again.

After a long wait again, at about 2.00 p.m, the consular officer called me{before then I watched as other persons were been interviewed. A few on K3 too, some men & women were given the visas, however, a lady was told that her aproval will be sent back to NVC for review, she did not really have pictures showing a relationship with her fiance, another guy was not able to convince the consular officer, like they did not have enough evidence pictures tendered by him were taken on the same day when they fiancee came for their wedding} The consular officer was very pleasant.

Immediately I walked up to the window, she told me that with the large bulk of emails ans chats, I have eraned the visa as that was enough proof of a strong relationship. I had seen her showing some of her collegues the bundle of the emails and chats(they were alot though).

She then asked a few questions for formality. Asked where I met my fiance, if my trip to the Rotary convention in 2001 was really for Rotary or to see my fiance. Asked how we had been communicating(I answered mainly emails & chats and that we had vacations in the U.K twice).

She asked my profession which I told her and she jokingly asked If I was just leaving all that, said I had no choice. and that was it, she said I should come back Wednesday March 16, 2004 at 2.00 p.m. to pick my visa and gave me back all the originals documents and the pictures I had submitted.

I was so glad.

My advice is trying to have all your documents in place and showing confidence. I think the consular officer were nice, those who could not satisfy them were advised to come back anyday apart from Wednesday to show the extra documents requested.

I am preparing for my trip, having some nostalgia though. I am planning to apply for a leave of absence from my employers so that by God's grace after a few months and securing the advance parole I will come back to Nigeria to tidy up and resign my appointment.

I am glad it is over, just preparing for the POE experinece (My POE most likely will be Chicago O' Hare) marraige, AOS, AP etc.

I am really grateful to this forum, also JeffB, Omo, Dageek it helped keep my sanity.

Thanks all.

Cathese

NOA 1 March 6, 2003
NOA 2 October 9, 2003
Collected packet from Embassy on January 9, 2004 after sveral visit and calls and being told not yet in system.
Obtained Police Report
Feb 3, got medicals.
March 12, 2004 interview at the embassy Visa Granted.
March 16, 2004 collected my visa and brown envelop.

Last edited by Cathese; Mar 17th 2004 at 10:02 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

ruthann1212 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cathese K1 Visa experience at the Embassy in Lagos

Originally posted by Cathese

My appointement was fixed for March 12,2004 at 7.00 a.m. I got there about 6.55 a.m, there was already a long queue. I joined the line and after some pushing and shoving and some confusion caused by the security guards finanally made my way inside the consulate at about 9.00 a.m.

Paid the required visa fee of $100.00 and we were advised to wait until the number alotted was called.

I was called after a long wait, a young Nigerian officer asked me for documents, tendered photocopy of my birth certificate, my pasport, the passport photos, she asked for my fiance documents, she collected all the originals, I was scared parting with the original documents for his property though. She collected the letters from his employers, tax returns and transcripts, Insurance. She collected my photographs and was not ven apprecaitive of the orgnaised way I had arranged them, she just removed all the explainations, and refused to take a typed explaination I had, selcted some of the photographs, collected the letter from the hospital which I had bee told to open at the gate. She also collected the original police report.(Do not forget to make copies of the police report for yourself). I also submitted printed copies of our chats and emails.

After a long wait again, at about 2.00 p.m, the consular officer called me{before then I watched as other persons were been interviewed. A few on K3 too, some men & women were given the visas, however, a lady was told that her aproval will be sent back to NVC for review, she did not really have pictures showing a relationship with her fiance, another guy was not able to convince the consular officer, like they did not have enough evidence pictures tendered by him were taken on the same day when they fiancee came for their wedding} The consular officer was very pleasant.

Immediately I walked up to the window, she told me that with the large bulk of emails ans chats, I have eraned the visa as that was enough proof of a strong relationship. I had seen her showing some of her collegues the bundle of the emails and chats(they were alot though).

She then asked a few questions for formality. Asked where I met my fiance, if my trip to the Rotary convention in 2001 was really for Rotary or to see my fiance. Asked how we had been communicating(I answered mainly emails & chats and that we had vacations in the U.K twice).

She asked my profession which I told her and she jokingly asked If I was just leaving all that, said I had no choice. and that was it, she said I should come back Wednesday March 16, 2004 at 2.00 p.m. to pick my visa and gave me back all the originals documents and the pictures I had submitted.

I was so glad.

My advice is trying to have all your documents in place and showing confidence. I think the consular officer were nice, those who could not satisfy them were advised to come back anyday apart from Wednesday to show the extra documents requested.

I am preparing for my trip, having some nostalgia though. I am planning to apply for a leave of absence from my employers so that by God's grace after a few months and securing the advance parole I will come back to Nigeria to tidy up and resign my appointment.

I am glad it is over, just preparing for the POE experinece (My POE most likely will be Chicago O' Hare) marraige, AOS, AP etc.

I am really grateful to this forum, also JeffB, Omo, Dageek it helped keep my sanity.

Thanks all.

Cathese

NOA 1 March 6, 2003
NOA 2 October 9, 2003
Collected packet from Embassy on January 9, 2004 after sveral visit and calls and being told not yet in system.
Obtained Police Report
Feb 3, got medicals.
Wow Cathese, sounds like you were on someone's good side! That is fabulous! You mentioned that they collected your fiance's original docs for a time. Can you tell specifically what original documents you are referring to?
Thanks and congratulations!
Oseme
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

jgbreton is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats!!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

ruthann1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was so glad.

Thanks all.

Cathese

NOA 1 March 6, 2003
NOA 2 October 9, 2003
Obtained Police Report
Feb 3, got medicals.
Cathese,
I forgot to ask. How much did it cost for your medicals and your police certificate? How long did it take to get them? I'm just realizing your time line is almost a year to the day. You must have the patience of JOB. 6 months between your 1st and 2nd notices of action. Was there a problem somewhere? So far it has been 4 months for Sunny and I. Lagos says they have our petition and it's in the system yet no interview date or packet sent.. It's very nerve wracking.. Your stroy encourages me.
Blessings,
Ruthann/Oseme
Old Mar 18th 2004, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Cathese is an unknown quantity at this point

The cost of the medicals and police report was about N15,000.00. You should get them within two vists there. The originals requested for where the title to his property and letter from his employers.

Cathese
Originally posted by ruthann1212
Cathese,
I forgot to ask. How much did it cost for your medicals and your police certificate? How long did it take to get them? I'm just realizing your time line is almost a year to the day. You must have the patience of JOB. 6 months between your 1st and 2nd notices of action. Was there a problem somewhere? So far it has been 4 months for Sunny and I. Lagos says they have our petition and it's in the system yet no interview date or packet sent.. It's very nerve wracking.. Your stroy encourages me.
Blessings,
Ruthann/Oseme
Old Mar 18th 2004, 3:19 am
omo
Naija Brigade

omo is an unknown quantity at this point

Once again, congratulations Cathese. I'm so happy that your K1 interview went very well. As a matter of fact, just reading about your experience brought back some memories regarding my then-fiance's own K1 experience - good and not so good. Anyway, I'm pleased that some in the "Naija Brigade" were able to offer what assistance we could. (I readily admit that this NG helped me a great deal when I was a novice at this I-129/K1 process and am eternally grateful).

Cathese, one more favor to ask. There are many Naija-US couples on this MB who are going through or are about to go through the process of the K1, K3, spouse visa and it would help them tremendously if you "cut and pasted" your experience at Kamya's website for U.S./Foreign couples.
Here's the link: http://www.kamya.com/interview/
I checked there recently and out of the dozen or so couples (past and present) who were helped on this MB from Nigeria in the past 4 years or so, only 1 took the time to post their experience from Lagos.)

So please, when you have a moment or two, post your experience for the Naija-US couples looking for information, tips and encouragement. Thank you. I wish you and your husband-to-be a happy life together.

Regards, Omo

Last edited by omo; Mar 18th 2004 at 3:23 am.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

DaGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats, Cathese!

The cost of the medicals and police report was about N15,000.00. You should get them within two vists there. The originals requested for where the title to his property and letter from his employers.

Cathese
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

nkem4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I was so glad.

Thanks all.

Cathese

NOA 1 March 6, 2003
NOA 2 October 9, 2003
Obtained Police Report
Feb 3, got medicals.

Cathese
Your post holds lots of encouragement for those to come after you. My fiance has his on 16 April, exactly one month from your visa colleciton date.
Thnks for sharing its very encouraging to hear lagos success stories like this. You mentioned....."some men & women were given the visas" I'm just curious if you noticed any harsher or more sever treatment towards the men than women.

All the best as you and your's move forward with your lives together
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:06 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

I was so glad.

Thanks all.

Cathese

NOA 1 March 6, 2003
NOA 2 October 9, 2003
Obtained Police Report
Feb 3, got medicals.

CONGRATS!!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

nkem4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by omo
Once again, congratulations Cathese. I'm so happy that your K1 interview went very well. As a matter of fact, just reading about your experience brought back some memories regarding my then-fiance's own K1 experience - good and not so good. Anyway, I'm pleased that some in the "Naija Brigade" were able to offer what assistance we could. (I readily admit that this NG helped me a great deal when I was a novice at this I-129/K1 process and am eternally grateful).

Cathese, one more favor to ask. There are many Naija-US couples on this MB who are going through or are about to go through the process of the K1, K3, spouse visa and it would help them tremendously if you "cut and pasted" your experience at Kamya's website for U.S./Foreign couples.
Here's the link: http://www.kamya.com/interview/
I checked there recently and out of the dozen or so couples (past and present) who were helped on this MB from Nigeria in the past 4 years or so, only 1 took the time to post their experience from Lagos.)

So please, when you have a moment or two, post your experience for the Naija-US couples looking for information, tips and encouragement. Thank you. I wish you and your husband-to-be a happy life together.

Regards, Omo

OMO
I went to view the website 'kemya' and apart from going page by 20some odd page how can i find your particular post? i did a search with your name (omo) also with Nigeria to no avail. So maybe you can direct me to which page or what name to search for that would help.

thnk you
Old Mar 20th 2004, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

JJ&ST is an unknown quantity at this point

[I was called after a long wait, a young Nigerian officer asked me for documents,

Hi, Cathese,

Have you arrived US now? I wish you a happy wedding soon. Please I have the believe that some items are missing in my package . What forms did you complete and submitted at the interview.You did not mention those in your write up.

The form Ds 230 and DS 157 is not my package. I know as female you don;t need the later,what of the Ds 230?

If what I m thinking is correct, DS 230 and checklist were required if the packet came separate,filled and returned to consulate b4 interview is scheduled.

Well the cosulate have scheduled interview direct and I have invitation letter,they did not mention anything about DS 230 and DS 157(for me as male). So I was just wondering if they made a mistake or that they think I don't need those two?

So let me know specifically the forms you completed and submitted at interview.

Last edited by JJ&ST; Mar 20th 2004 at 8:16 pm.