Wikiposts

Carry your green card?

Old May 16th 2005, 9:08 am
Niles

Default Carry your green card?

Hi,

This post concerns whether an LPR should carry their Green Card at all
times.

Realize there have been conflicting views on this issue in the past.
However, the USCIS link which supported NOT carrying the card was
updated May 2nd - it now says you MUST carry your card at all times.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm#card

Do any lawyers have perspective on this change? Will the USCIS more
strongly enforce the requirement of carrying the green card now? There
would now seem to be no further defense of not carrying it at all
times.

Regards,
Niles

Old May 16th 2005, 10:11 am
L D Jones

Default Re: Carry your green card?

Niles wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This post concerns whether an LPR should carry their Green Card at all
    > times.
    >
    > Realize there have been conflicting views on this issue in the past.
    > However, the USCIS link which supported NOT carrying the card was
    > updated May 2nd - it now says you MUST carry your card at all times.
    >
    > http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm#card
    >
    > Do any lawyers have perspective on this change? Will the USCIS more
    > strongly enforce the requirement of carrying the green card now? There
    > would now seem to be no further defense of not carrying it at all
    > times.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Niles
    >
How would the USCIS enforce the requirement to carry the card? Can you
be arrested if you don't? Also, your last sentence doesn't make sense

Old May 16th 2005, 10:30 am
James Ridgers

This makes sense. I got a speeding ticket a few weeks ago. I gave my
license, proof isurance, and registration to the cop, and then a few
minutes later he came back to the car and asked to see my Permanent
Resident card. I had not said anything to him about being a CPR, so
there must be something on my DMV record that indicates that I am. Good
job I carry it in my wallet!

Old May 16th 2005, 10:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I recall, the wording is something like "have it available to you at all times", not necessarily "carry it on your person at all times".

Rene
Old May 16th 2005, 10:59 am
Niles

James,

Thanks for the update - pretty compelling evidence to carry the card at
all times!!!

James Ridgers wrote:
    > This makes sense. I got a speeding ticket a few weeks ago. I gave my
    > license, proof isurance, and registration to the cop, and then a few
    > minutes later he came back to the car and asked to see my Permanent
    > Resident card. I had not said anything to him about being a CPR, so
    > there must be something on my DMV record that indicates that I am.
Good
    > job I carry it in my wallet!

Old May 16th 2005, 11:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by James Ridgers
This makes sense. I got a speeding ticket a few weeks ago. I gave my
license, proof isurance, and registration to the cop, and then a few
minutes later he came back to the car and asked to see my Permanent
Resident card. I had not said anything to him about being a CPR, so
there must be something on my DMV record that indicates that I am. Good
job I carry it in my wallet!
I thought only federal authorities could query your immigration status?
Old May 16th 2005, 11:33 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
From what I recall, the wording is something like "have it available to you at all times", not necessarily "carry it on your person at all times".

Rene
Not any more. When I got my 10-year GC it says you must carry it with you at all times. I spoke with my attorney about this, and she said agreed. She is on the liaison commitee here, and this is one thing that the local USCIS people explicitly stated at a meeting.

She also said that in theory one is not required to produce the GC except to anybody in authority in USCIS who demands it, but that it is not necessarily wise to refuse to show it to somebody in authority who demands it, such as a police officer. Apparently the 4th amendment technically protects you, but technical is as technical does.
Old May 16th 2005, 11:53 am
James Ridgers

> I thought only federal authorities could query your immigration
status?

Hmmm...technically, he didn't query my immigration status. He simply
asked to see my CPR's card. I'm assuming that when he ran my license,
something would have been displayed that already provided my status to
him, therefore prompting him to make sure I was carrying my card..???
Just a guess.

My wife's dad is an LAPD cop. I'll ask him about it.

Old May 16th 2005, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Niles
Hi,

times.

times.

Regards,
Niles
Hi:

"Don't leave home without it." Karl Malden.

Slightly OT -- about 10 years ago, when I was chair of the LACBA immigration section, we had a tour of the Consulate in CDJ followed by a luncheon in El Paso. We had chartared a bus -- and the friendly INS officer at the POE boarded and asked us 30 immigration attorneys if we were all US Citizens. One attorney said "I have a green card." And then she produced the photocopy she carried since she kept her card in her safe deposit box in Los Angeles! The INS officer took her off the bus! My good friend Howard Hom was AILA chapter chair, so the two of us assumed the mantle of office, and went to rescue our wayward colleaque. Howard and I were laughing so hard, we decided that this was the ONLY way to approach the INS. So we cheerfully informed the INS officers of the nature of our trip and that our lovely colleaque would be flying back with us to LA that afternoon and the ribbing one immigration lawyer would get from 29 other immigration lawyers would far exceed any punishment they meet out. It worked. The INS officers were laughing too -- gave her a warning of "Don't leave home without it" and let us all go.

BTW, the errant attorney is now a US citizen. FWIW, she is also an excellent attorney.
Old May 16th 2005, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

lucymoody is an unknown quantity at this point

So what do you carry to prove immigration status if you don't have a greencard - for example if you have an expired K3 visa and are awaiting an interview? EAD? AP? Passport with I-94? I-797 for the I-485?

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

"Don't leave home without it." Karl Malden.

Slightly OT -- about 10 years ago, when I was chair of the LACBA immigration section, we had a tour of the Consulate in CDJ followed by a luncheon in El Paso. We had chartared a bus -- and the friendly INS officer at the POE boarded and asked us 30 immigration attorneys if we were all US Citizens. One attorney said "I have a green card." And then she produced the photocopy she carried since she kept her card in her safe deposit box in Los Angeles! The INS officer took her off the bus! My good friend Howard Hom was AILA chapter chair, so the two of us assumed the mantle of office, and went to rescue our wayward colleaque. Howard and I were laughing so hard, we decided that this was the ONLY way to approach the INS. So we cheerfully informed the INS officers of the nature of our trip and that our lovely colleaque would be flying back with us to LA that afternoon and the ribbing one immigration lawyer would get from 29 other immigration lawyers would far exceed any punishment they meet out. It worked. The INS officers were laughing too -- gave her a warning of "Don't leave home without it" and let us all go.

BTW, the errant attorney is now a US citizen. FWIW, she is also an excellent attorney.
Old May 16th 2005, 2:06 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
Same difference!!!
Old May 16th 2005, 2:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Same difference!!!
Hi Hyper! How's work?

To me, having it available means it could be in a safe place where you could present it if necessary...like in the glove compartment of your car, or even at home where you know how to get your hands on it. Not right in your back pocket all the time. But I've been corrected and now the rule IS to have it on your person at all times.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 16th 2005, 2:40 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hyper! How's work?

To me, having it available means it could be in a safe place where you could present it if necessary...like in the glove compartment of your car, or even at home where you know how to get your hands on it. Not right in your back pocket all the time. But I've been corrected and now the rule IS to have it on your person at all times.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Work is great, I am just trying to catch up so when I start answering calls I don't flip out!!
Thanks for asking girlie!!
I noticed you became a moderator, congrats!!
Old May 17th 2005, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

What about carrying a copy of the card with you, and leaving the original in a safe place?

Similarly, I carry a copy of the car's registration with me and leave the original at home (if the car gets nicked they don't have the original reg. - was advised to do this by my brother-in-law who is a NYPD cop)

Cheers
Peter

Originally Posted by Niles
Hi,

times.

times.

Regards,
Niles
Old May 17th 2005, 7:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter Newton
What about carrying a copy of the card with you, and leaving the original in a safe place?

Similarly, I carry a copy of the car's registration with me and leave the original at home (if the car gets nicked they don't have the original reg. - was advised to do this by my brother-in-law who is a NYPD cop)

Cheers
Peter

Strange advice on the registration. In NYS you can't transfer/sell a vehicle with just the registration. You need the actual title issued by the NYS DMV. Ask me, I'm selling my car to my daugther next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.