Wikiposts

Car Insurance..

Old May 7th 2004, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Insurance..

hello...

I tried a search of threads and couldn't find anything on car insurance. I couldn't get any online quotes, and I can't remember if I asked allready LOL ( too much going on) So....

Would someone please give me an idea about car insurance cost per month for a basic 6 seater MPV. probably about 9yrs old worth about GBP 3500.....
2 drivers with full no claims and clean licences. ages 39....

I only need a ballpark monthly figure to work with to give me an idea for a budget back in the UK...

Just trying to get an idea if we will be walking or not.... LOL

Thanks very much.......
Old May 7th 2004, 7:05 am
Just Joined

eilthireach is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Car Insurance..

Originally posted by honeymommy
hello...

I tried a search of threads and couldn't find anything on car insurance. I couldn't get any online quotes, and I can't remember if I asked allready LOL ( too much going on) So....

Would someone please give me an idea about car insurance cost per month for a basic 6 seater MPV. probably about 9yrs old worth about GBP 3500.....

I only need a ballpark monthly figure to work with to give me an idea for a budget back in the UK...

Just trying to get an idea if we will be walking or not.... LOL

Thanks very much.......
You might find it useful to go to one of the major insurance company's websites and enter your details there. I was with Direct Line from when they started until I left in 2001 and found them very good. I have no connection with them but try their website for a quote (http://www.directline.co.uk). You are asked for your name, dob, and postcode. Obviously you don't have a postcode at present but if you enter one relating to the area you think you will be in (are you going to stay with someone when you arrive there, or do you have one for a relative or friend in the area?) and you should get a rough idea. Direct Line allowed monthly payments by direct debit, which should help your budgeting
I've forgotten the names of many of the other companies but a search on google's uk site or on www.yahoo.co.uk site should bring up a list. Yahoo UK lists sites like
www.esure.com and www.sainsburysbank.co.uk (perhaps your bank will offer a quote?) and sites like www.screentrade.co.uk, www.insurancesite.co.uk, www.quotesnow-cars.co.uk, www.car-insurance-express.co.uk, www.carinsurance-car.co.uk, and many others (none of which I have looked at) say they will search a range of insurers and provide quotes ....
Good luck!
Old May 7th 2004, 7:16 am
mickj

some good sites you've listed there, i know esure are pretty good, some of my friends use them. Also you might want to check this site for accomodation, shops, entertainment, et al :

www.thisislondon.co.uk

Old May 7th 2004, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info..

I just wanted someone to give me a basic idea really.... will be living in slough Berkshire......

I am bogged down with planning, shippping/ flight arrangements immigration etc etc... oh not to mention 4 children to be a mom to...

I haven't had the time to do a search, and to be honest with all the reasearching on the internet I have had to do lately I am exhausted.... Squinting at everything even with 20 20 vision... LOL

Please if someone wouldn't mind just give me an 'idea' for 2 people to insure a car....... Thanks....

Off to try and blink now........
Old May 7th 2004, 10:09 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance..

Some UK insurance companies will accept 3 years motor insurance absence, some will only accept 2. If you had full no claims less than 3 years ago you should be able to find a company who will give you a discount. I'm not sure if your US no claims will be acceptable here.

For fully comprehensive, full (protected) no claims, 15k miles/year, social domestic and pleasure useage (including getting to and from work) on a much smaller car (1400cc) worth about GBP1500, I pay about GBP200 in a lump sum for two experienced drivers. You will be charged more to pay in monthly installments. You can also expect to pay more as your vehicle will be in a much higher insurance group. . To find out your insurance group, try www.parkers.co.uk This also has reviews of the vehicles you're interested in.

Some insurance companies no longer give discount for garaging (if it is a bog standard family car) and just use the postcode to assess the risk of theft.

Watch out for third party only or third party, fire and theft coverage - it is often not much cheaper than fully comp these days!
Old May 8th 2004, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

baloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Please if someone wouldn't mind just give me an 'idea' for 2 people to insure a car....... Thanks....
It really is going to depend on where you end up living as to what it costs. As others have said, your postcode affects the premium (and 'Slough' on its own might be too broad for an idea of a quote). Also things like where it's parked affect the premium eg. garage, off-road, street parking. A lot of that you won't know till you're settled in the UK again. So you can see that it's hard for others to try give you an idea of what it might cost.

When you have a chance, putting in a few details onto a quote form online will give you an instant quote (if you have a friend or relatives address in Slough to use that would help).

Tescos also do very competitive insurance now : www.tesco.com
Also try More Than : www.morethan.co.uk

You can do online quotes with both of those.

Also, the premiums don't really seem to be based on value of car so much as it's based on insurance group. I had a little runaround that was worth nothing, and eventually got a new car, worth quite a lot more, and because they were both in the same group I ended up paying exactly the same premium on the new car.
Old May 8th 2004, 3:03 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by baloo
It really is going to depend on where you end up living as to what it costs. As others have said, your postcode affects the premium
Yep, I should have pointed out that I live in a low crime area. The figure I quoted was just intended as a ballpark, and is obviously only specific to me and the low insurance group (2 I think!) vehicle I drive.

I know how frustrating it can be nailing down facts and figures but it is just because people do not want to mislead you with bad information. Have you tried asking your family in the UK what they are paying?
Old May 8th 2004, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks to everyone for your help....

You have given me an idea and great links. When I get a minute away from the boxes, bubble wrap, yard sales etc I will have a shufty......

Thanks......