Wikiposts

CANCELLED OUR VISAS

Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

andrewharris is on a distinguished road
Default CANCELLED OUR VISAS

Myself and family were on B1/B2 visas. We ended up staying 18 months in the USA after coming home every 6 months at the end of each 6month spell and renewing on re-entry. I bought a property and set up a business legally and applied for L1 visa which was approved whilst we were in the USA. We left to the embassy in London to get the visa approved and passports stamped etc. In London our B1/B2 was stamped "cancelled without prejudice" and L1 was refused. The consular officer said we had been "living" in the USA and so violated the B1/B2 status and that we shouldnt bother trying to get back into the states as we would more than likely be refused. I guess "cancelled w/o prejudice" is not so bad but does anyone have any comments or advice to give. We would like to go back to the USA.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:15 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CANCELLED OUR VISAS

Originally Posted by andrewharris
I bought a property and set up a business legally and applied for L1 visa which was approved whilst we were in the USA. :
You cannot apply for a visa in the US ....so you visa was NOT approved

whoever gave you the legal advice to do it this way ...was a chancer ....
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

speak to a lawyer would be my advice.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
You cannot apply for a visa in the US ....so you visa was NOT approved

whoever gave you the legal advice to do it this way ...was a chancer ....
Well, it was a change of status from the B1/B2 to an L1. Cancer you say?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:24 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

but does anyone have any comments or advice to give. We would like to go back to the USA.
You did it the wrong way round. You get a suitable visa first, then you come and live here. You got a visitor's visa but, on your own admission, lived here for a year and a half. What the hell did you expect them to do? They were doing their job!

Try OZ or NZ would be my advice. Your card is now marked in the US.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:36 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Cancer you say?
He means that if you got visa advice off someone, it was piss-poor advice you got.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:28 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. I would have had this down as a troll... but if it's true, good luck to the OP.

Out of interest, how would the OP go about disposing of assets; home, business, car etc? Presumably there are vital documents left here.
OP really screwed the pooch.

To the OP:
If you tell me where you live and send me the keys, I'll help you out for a small fee. After I throw a couple of parties in your pad...

I've done some ill advised things but this really takes the biscuit. Where in the UK are you currently residing?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
He means that if you got visa advice off someone, it was piss-poor advice you got.
There seem to be 2 issues:

The B, well they seem to have a point. Not that it matters, it is their call. Give it a few years and try again, make sure you have very strong ties to your home country and can demonstrate them.

I bought a property and set up a business legally and applied for L1 visa.
L is an inter company transfer, so that sounds wrong. Perhaps it should have been an E2?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Myself and family were on B1/B2 visas. We ended up staying 18 months in the USA after coming home every 6 months at the end of each 6month spell and renewing on re-entry. I bought a property and set up a business legally and applied for L1 visa which was approved whilst we were in the USA. We left to the embassy in London to get the visa approved and passports stamped etc. In London our B1/B2 was stamped "cancelled without prejudice" and L1 was refused. The consular officer said we had been "living" in the USA and so violated the B1/B2 status and that we shouldnt bother trying to get back into the states as we would more than likely be refused. I guess "cancelled w/o prejudice" is not so bad but does anyone have any comments or advice to give. We would like to go back to the USA.
Hi:

I suggest strongly you contact an American immigration lawyer in London. Dealing with a consulate after a refusal can be a very delicate art and you need someone who knows the consulate and the consulate knows.

A list of attorneys in London can be found at http://www.ortega-medina.com/america...yers_in_london

Ms. Hodgkinson, Mr. Gudeon and Mr. Farrell have been practicing there for a very long time. [BTW, there was an infamous IV ConOff-From-Hell in London in the early 90's. I recall a phone conversation with Paul where I Colonel Blake and he was Radar O'Reilley -- he was completing all my sentences! "I presume this happens a lot?" "Yes."]
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

Out of interest, how would the OP go about disposing of assets; home, business, car etc? Presumably there are vital documents left here.
OP really screwed the pooch.

OP only mentioned Property and Business, both of which can be disposed of remotely. No shortage of Realtors willing to help, I am sure.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 6:36 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

What was the basis of the L-1? How do you transfer over to work for your own new company? Was/Is there a foreign entity currently doing business outside the US? Who is running that?

I suspect that your business activities were hands-on labor and not allowed as a B2 visitor for pleasure.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

THAT IS CORRECT
Old Dec 10th 2007, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

MR CRG, i have another question for you. You seem a bright guy! My british friend was imprisoned for drugs in Britain 30 years ago. Since he has fathered 4 children in the USA. He is currently married to a US citizen with two small babies. His 3rd marriage. His visa has expired and he cant get another one. What do you ythink about it? Can he overturn it and manage to stay with his family. He has never had any trouble with the law in the USA and is law abiding.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 9:07 am
Septicity

MR CRG, i have another question for you. You seem a bright guy! My british friend was imprisoned for drugs in Britain 30 years ago. Since he has fathered 4 children in the USA. He is currently married to a US citizen with two small babies. His 3rd marriage. His visa has expired and he cant get another one. What do you ythink about it? Can he overturn it and manage to stay with his family. He has never had any trouble with the law in the USA and is law abiding.
Pigs might fly!
Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:21 am
Account Closed

How did he get into the US with that record?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.