Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Canadian married to American - Adjustment of Status?

Wikiposts

Canadian married to American - Adjustment of Status?

Old Oct 11th 2001, 11:04 am
Julia

I have been married to an American citizen for 4.5 years now. We got married in the
US, got my I-130 approved few years ago ( never got to use it), but in the end we
moved to Canada. Now my husband got a job in the US and he moved back there. I am
visiting US right now as a Canadian without a visa. Can I start adjustment of status
process in the US or do I have to go back to Canada? Do new changes to K-3 (its
applicability to the spouses) affect my situation?

Is there any good information resource for family immigration from Canada to the US?

Thank you very much Jul

Old Oct 11th 2001, 11:15 pm
Alvena Ferreira

julia wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
If you are already in the US, you can most likely apply for adjustment of status and
stay in the US while this processes, presuming that you were not unduly questioned at
the port of entry when you can into the country. I recommend a one-time consultation
with an immigration attorney to be sure of where you stand. You might benefit from
having an attorney file this for you, talk to him about that.

Also, for reference, see the Tourist Adjustment link on the Doc Steen site, check the
forms to file link specifically.

Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================