Canadian Landed Immigrant marrying US citizen

Wikiposts

Canadian Landed Immigrant marrying US citizen

Old Aug 18th 2018, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

CaUs89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Landed Immigrant marrying US citizen

Hello everyone :]
I have a question that I haven’t seen posted on here before and I’m hoping that I can get some help with it. My fiancée and I plan to file for the K1 visa. I am an American citizen and she is a Canadian green card holder. She’s planning to file for her citizenship at the end of the month. My question is, would it make a different if she files for her citizenship? It costs around $600 to file and if it’s not needed I would just like to save that money for the wedding. Would being a Canadian citizen or a green card holder make a difference in time that it would take for the k1 to approve?
Old Aug 18th 2018, 8:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Canadian Landed Immigrant marrying US citizen

Hi and welcome to BE.

No, it makes no difference at all.

Rene
Old Aug 19th 2018, 3:51 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian permanent residents don't have "green cards" - they are "landed immigrants." I was a tad confused by the heading.

I am not knowledgeable about Canadian immigration law, but I'm given to understand that landed status can be abandoned by taking residence outside of Canada .

You do not give your wife's nationality. That may make a difference.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 3:58 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaUs89
Hello everyone :]
I have a question that I haven’t seen posted on here before and I’m hoping that I can get some help with it. My fiancée and I plan to file for the K1 visa. I am an American citizen and she is a Canadian green card holder. She’s planning to file for her citizenship at the end of the month. My question is, would it make a different if she files for her citizenship? It costs around $600 to file and if it’s not needed I would just like to save that money for the wedding. Would being a Canadian citizen or a green card holder make a difference in time that it would take for the k1 to approve?
It' makes a huge difference. Once she's a Canadian citizen she's always a Canadian citizen. Weddings last a day, marriages perhaps a bit longer but not always life-long.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 4:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It might make a difference in the life of the Canadian landed immigrant, but it does nothing to help or speed up the K-1 process, which is what the OP is asking.

Rene
Old Aug 19th 2018, 4:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It might make a difference in the life of the Canadian landed immigrant, but it does nothing to help or speed up the K-1 process, which is what the OP is asking.

Rene
I'm aware of that. But the OP's cavalier attitude towards limiting his fiancée's future options so as to save a few bucks for a wedding rather took me aback.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 9:31 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike being a USC a Canadian citizen does not have pay taxes on worldwide income. Far better for to take Canadian citizenship then lose her residency status. Frankly if she hates living in the US at least she can return to Canada. Why are you considering the k1 instead of marrying, she returns to Canada and apply for her spousal visa. Cheaper than the k1 and filing for adjustment of status for her. She cannot work or travel outside of the US until she gets employment authorization 3 to 6 months after filing