Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can you work with SSN pending?

Wikiposts

Can you work with SSN pending?

Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you work with SSN pending?

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
i was under the impression it can be used as documentation of legality to work...least thats what a few employers here told us when hub was applying...dont know for sure because hes a k-1 and not a cr-1 thanks for the correction!
No, you are right. The I-551 is the green card (whether in stamp form or plastic form), which carries work authorization.

But it does not take the place of a SSN.

Rene
Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
My husband received his less than 3 weeks.
I think I got mine in 7 days after applying for it. Best wishes Milan.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

okalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really nice

When it comes to immigration, the I-551 stamp is your permission to work (and as Rene mentioned, the stamp and the SSN are two different things). For more information on proofs of employment eligibility, check http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

The SSN by itself is a proof of employment eligibility ONLY if it doesn't state "Valid for employment only with DHS Authorization" (ones that state limitations are, for example, the SSN issued to F1 visa holders, which only allows them to work on campus).

However, your employer (and the Internal Revenue Services) will require the SSN to enroll you in payroll, get paid and file for taxes.

Last edited by okalian; Apr 15th 2010 at 9:00 pm.