Reload this Page >

Can you work with SSN pending?

Wikiposts

Can you work with SSN pending?

Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

miami078 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you work with SSN pending?

Well after the many months of stress I have immigrated and am in the USA. For those of you currently in the middle of the process there is hope so please dont give up. My question is this. I have only been here just over two weeks now however I have already a few job interviews lined up, some of them probably wanting immediate start. Upon entering the USA I was told my social security number will be issued to me over the coming weeks. I had thought about 2 or 3 however I have heard it can be up to 6 months. Does anybody have experince of how long they have waitied for the SSN and also if you are able to start work whilst waiting for the actual nhumber to come through?

I have heard an employer can submit a W2 form and then once your number has come through they can submit a W-2c which updates your file. The visa on my passport is for permanent residence for one year (restrictions due to being married less than a year) there is no mention that I have authorisation to work. Although i guess if the employer did a search on the internet on my visa they would find out I do have permission? Any ideas on how to handle this situation. i have an interview tomorrow and therefore am sure the question will arise

Many thanks

miamia078
Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:11 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you work with SSN pending?

This may be a silly question - you have taken yourself off to the social security office to apply for a card haven't you - mine came through in 2 weeks.

Also, I don't know how you came to the US, provided you came over on an authorised Visa - not a VWP you should have all your paperwork ready to go....
Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It usually takes several weeks to get the SSN in the mail, but sometimes things fall between the cracks. You can always go in person to the SS office to see if they have you in the system as having applied for one.

You need to do a google search for Form I-9. This is what the employer needs to fill out in order to hire you (check the lists to make sure you have the appropriate hiring document(s)).

You do not necessarily need a SSN to get hired. The employer will probably require it at some point, whenever you receive it.

Rene
Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:36 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miami078
Well after the many months of stress I have immigrated and am in the USA. For those of you currently in the middle of the process there is hope so please dont give up. My question is this. I have only been here just over two weeks now however I have already a few job interviews lined up, some of them probably wanting immediate start. Upon entering the USA I was told my social security number will be issued to me over the coming weeks. I had thought about 2 or 3 however I have heard it can be up to 6 months. Does anybody have experince of how long they have waitied for the SSN and also if you are able to start work whilst waiting for the actual nhumber to come through?

I have heard an employer can submit a W2 form and then once your number has come through they can submit a W-2c which updates your file. The visa on my passport is for permanent residence for one year (restrictions due to being married less than a year) there is no mention that I have authorisation to work. Although i guess if the employer did a search on the internet on my visa they would find out I do have permission? Any ideas on how to handle this situation. i have an interview tomorrow and therefore am sure the question will arise

Many thanks

miamia078
My husband received his less than 3 weeks.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Hi everybody thanks for your replies

The only reason I havent chased it with the local office yet is as I have heard some people on this forum advising to be careful and not apply for another one incase you end up with two! However I will probably call the local office and see the progress of the number. Its good news to hear that I am able to work without it. I came into the country on an I-130 marriage based visa which means upon entry I immediatly become a permanent citizen able to work but unfortunately I have to wait for the SSN number etc to be mailed to me. It was just incase a future employer wasnt familiar with this process how i could prove this. I think for the meantime I will take along my visa and explain the situation. Although its been over two weeks I guess things may take a little longer with the easter weekend taking place just after I entered the USA.

Thank you all for your replies

Miamia078
Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:57 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

No, the visa in your passport is evidence, evidence valid for a period of 1 year, of your status as a Permanent Resident. Sometime during that 1 year period you will receive an ID card that replaces the visa as evidence of your status.

As a PR you are authorized to work in the USA.

Your PR status is not limited to 1 year. If you were married for less than 2 years at the time you entered, as it seems that you were, you are a PR with conditions. Sometime during the 90 day period prior to 2 years from the date that you entered you must petition to remove the conditions by submitting form I-751.

Regards, JEff

The visa on my passport is for permanent residence for one year (restrictions due to being married less than a year) there is no mention that I have authorisation to work.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Sorry trixie in reponse to your question regarding applying for the SSN.There was a seciton on the I-130 visa application which we ticked at the London Embassy office (we applied for the visa through them) where it says "would you like us to issue you with an SSN immediatly upon entry. We ticked this box rather than applying for the SSn myself. I checked this with the officer at port authority in New Jersey when I entered the country for the first time and he said it will be sent out to me in maybe 2 weeks or so. I guess I will have to trust he was right and chase it with the office!

Thank you again for your response
Miami078
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason I havent chased it with the local office yet is as I have heard some people on this forum advising to be careful and not apply for another one incase you end up with two! However I will probably call the local office and see the progress of the number.
They will not give you any information over the phone, you have to go in person and show ID. On the phone, they have no idea who you are, and thus won't release any SSN info to you.

I came into the country on an I-130 marriage based visa which means upon entry I immediatly become a permanent citizen...
I know what you mean, but for others reading, you became a permanent resident (not a citizen).

It was just incase a future employer wasnt familiar with this process how i could prove this. I think for the meantime I will take along my visa and explain the situation.
Did you look at the I-9? All employers are supposed to be using this employment verification form, so they should be familar with what documents you will need to get hired.

Rene
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:02 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck - I hope it will be with you soon - and good luck with the job hunting!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I entered on a CR1 30 January 2010 at San Francisco.

Welcome to USA letter received 15 February 2010.

SSN and Greencard arrived 16 February 2010.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Hi All

I have just re read some of my posts and must have been having a ditsy day as I meant I have heard it can take 6 weeks not 6 months and I said I had entered the country as a permanent citizen instead of resident. My apologies!
Some of you have mentioned it came within 3 weeks so I have another week left to wait before chasing. I just wanted to mention that at an interview today the when i explained the situation she said unlike some other companies they would not accept a letter from the SS office saying the application was pending that they would only employ me with SSN. I thought I would just mention that some companies out there may request the same and to be careful.

On a side note I am in Livingston NJ if anybody has moved near and has any tips for the area!

I will keep you updated

thanks again for the help

Miami078
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to mention that at an interview today the when i explained the situation she said unlike some other companies they would not accept a letter from the SS office saying the application was pending that they would only employ me with SSN. I thought I would just mention that some companies out there may request the same and to be careful.
First, I suggest you not bring that up with an employer again until they have offered you a job and you've been hired. They have no need to ask for your SSN before that point.
I know you can't know all the US employment rules when you've just arrived, but I do get annoyed at employers, who certainly should know those rules.

Are you saying that you were not offered the job because of the missing SSN (and you are a Permanent Resident who has applied for an SSN)? If so, you may have been discriminated against, if you would like to follow up on that.

Have you received your Welcome Letter from USCIS or your Green Card?
When 3 weeks have passed, if you have received nothing from USCIS or SSA, you should follow up to make sure your entry documents were processed correctly.

But, don't discuss your SSN with people you are interviewing with. The only thing they, and you, need to know at that point is that you are employment authorized and you are a Permanent Resident.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:58 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
First, I suggest you not bring that up with an employer again until they have offered you a job and you've been hired. They have no need to ask for your SSN before that point.
I know you can't know all the US employment rules when you've just arrived, but I do get annoyed at employers, who certainly should know those rules.

Are you saying that you were not offered the job because of the missing SSN (and you are a Permanent Resident who has applied for an SSN)? If so, you may have been discriminated against, if you would like to follow up on that.

Have you received your Welcome Letter from USCIS or your Green Card?
When 3 weeks have passed, if you have received nothing from USCIS or SSA, you should follow up to make sure your entry documents were processed correctly.

But, don't discuss your SSN with people you are interviewing with. The only thing they, and you, need to know at that point is that you are employment authorized and you are a Permanent Resident.
Also, if I am not mistaken, the stamp in the passport is supposed to be suffice until a SS number can be issued...
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
Also, if I am not mistaken, the stamp in the passport is supposed to be suffice until a SS number can be issued...
The I-551 stamp in the passport and the SSN are unrelated.

Rene
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:05 am
Questy Questionson

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The I-551 stamp in the passport and the SSN are unrelated.

Rene
i was under the impression it can be used as documentation of legality to work...least thats what a few employers here told us when hub was applying...dont know for sure because hes a k-1 and not a cr-1 thanks for the correction!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.