Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can you get married on a VWP?

Can you get married on a VWP?

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you get married on a VWP?

Originally Posted by Antstar
My current thinking, thanks to the wonder that is BritishExpats is that we should get married on a VWP and then my girlfriend can file the necessary paperwork to get the marriage approved.
If you dislike the K-1 route and prefer being able to work immediately upon entering the US, your choice is clear - get married and have her file the I-130 petition. There *will* be a period of separation so you need to come to terms with that very quickly. However, in the grand scheme of things, 6 - 8 months is nothing compared to a lifetime together... and you *are* able to continue to visit each other during the process. The only drawback here is that you must be married before she starts the paperwork.

My girlfriend phoned the USICS (I think that's right) and they told her she had to remain in the US while the paperwork is processed...
That is simply *NOT* true. If she called the 1-800 number, she spoke to a 3rd party contractor and not to anyone who has any knowledge of USCIS rules and regulations.

Ian
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Antstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really nice

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, plenty there for me to think about! I'll let you know what happens!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:16 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That is simply *NOT* true. If she called the 1-800 number, she spoke to a 3rd party contractor and not to anyone who has any knowledge of USCIS rules and regulations.
Ian:

I see no reason to doubt that GF called CIS and erroneous information -- it happens all the time.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Antstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really nice

Folinskyinla,

You mentioned in your previous post that border control may refuse me entry if I stated I was going to the US to marry my girlfriend. If I simply said I was visiting her, like I normally do, do you think that's likley to come back to haunt me at a later date? I visit my girlfriend at least once a month and it seems I get questioned more and more everytime.......
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:30 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

A,

That should be telling you something. One of these days they may stop letting you through.

Regards, JEff

I visit my girlfriend at least once a month and it seems I get questioned more and more everytime.......
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Cheers Jeff! It's being so positive that keeps you going I'm sure!

But seriously, in my humble opinion, if something uses the VWP regularly but always leaves when he says he's going to and is working in a bordering country, why would he decide to blow everything by overstaying on the VWP? Am I being naive trying to add reason into the equation??
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Folinskyinla,

You mentioned in your previous post that border control may refuse me entry if I stated I was going to the US to marry my girlfriend. If I simply said I was visiting her, like I normally do, do you think that's likley to come back to haunt me at a later date? I visit my girlfriend at least once a month and it seems I get questioned more and more everytime.......
You should only answer the specific question asked. Usually they state is as "are you here for business or pleasure", at which point you say "pleasure". You only give them details if they ask specifically.

That said, once a month is a lot. The more you visit, the more you increase the change of being turned away at the POE.

Rene
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Am I being naive trying to add reason into the equation??
Yep!

The POE officers don't use our same logic. If they see you coming over TOO often, they start thinking you are trying to live in the USA instead of visit it. Especially if they know you have a USC girlfriend.

Rene
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene, I tried the only answer the question specifically asked approach and finally the guy backed me into the corner and I had to say I was visiting my girlfriend. He was fine about it, laughed and said "now we are getting the full story" so normally when they ask me "Why are you visiting the US?" which is how it always seems to be phrased, I respond with "visiting my girlfriend". A couple of times I have been asked further questions like her nationality etc... but not had any real problems.

I know once a month is a lot but she's only a couple of hours away so when I have free time I visit her......

Why am I starting to think NZ might be the best option after all?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:17 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

A,

I don't know about naive, but you are being a bit ignorant of US immigration law, which it's CBP officers' job to enforce, and what often happens in the 'real world'.

The INA says that an alien is an intending immigrant unless they can demonstrate otherwise. And your pattern is making you look more and more like someone who one of these days just might enter and not go back. A lot of people use the VWP to do just that.

Regards, JEff

Am I being naive trying to add reason into the equation??
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

You are probably right Jeff, either way it's pointless trying to second guess what I'm going to be asked or at what point I will be denied anymore 'visits'. I'll just keep going and keep being honest with border control and roll with the punches....Although I will be mighty p**sed when I get turned away and I have paid for my ticket