Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can you get married twice?

Can you get married twice?

Old Apr 11th 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can you get married twice?

I originally wanted to do a civil ceremony in the UK then the church one in the U.S, mostly for the older relatives/distant family/friends etc who wouldnt come to the U.S. But I read somewhere that you cant have 2 weddings as its considered bigamy (?!) as you would be getting married twice, so then looked at just a UK blessing then doing the U.S one, but as the other posters said, it all began to look a bit risky i.e photos of me and my fiance in wedding clothes before we officially got married may seem a bit difficult to explain in the future, plus a mix up at POE may mean you never even get to enter the U.S.

Therefore, why risk all the time (and not to mention $) you will have spent getting the K1 visa? You may as well just get the K1, go to the U.S, marry, file for AOS, get your AP and then return to the UK to have a blessing in front of all the ppl that couldnt make it to the U.S. I am sure they can wait a another few months to see you get married!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
But I read somewhere that you cant have 2 weddings as its considered bigamy (?!) as you would be getting married twice,
Sure you can have two weddings and two marriage certificates. I did -- so I'm pretty certain on this one. Of course, various combinations of authorities may not work. One of my marriage certificates comes from a civil ceremony in a central European country, the other from the CofE in Blighty. CofE never batted an eyelid.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Sure you can have two weddings and two marriage certificates. I did -- so I'm pretty certain on this one. Of course, various combinations of authorities may not work. One of my marriage certificates comes from a civil ceremony in a central European country, the other from the CofE in Blighty. CofE never batted an eyelid.
FB---Same wo.. er, person?
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
FB---Same wo.. er, person?
Yep. No problem with CofE -- there was an annotation on the marriage certificate along the lines of "Petitioner previously underwent a civil ceremony of marriage in XXXX on YYYY. But it was a genuine CofE marriage certificate.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:31 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
I originally wanted to do a civil ceremony in the UK then the church one in the U.S, mostly for the older relatives/distant family/friends etc who wouldnt come to the U.S. But I read somewhere that you cant have 2 weddings as its considered bigamy (?!) as you would be getting married twice, so then looked at just a UK blessing then doing the U.S one, but as the other posters said, it all began to look a bit risky i.e photos of me and my fiance in wedding clothes before we officially got married may seem a bit difficult to explain in the future, plus a mix up at POE may mean you never even get to enter the U.S.

Therefore, why risk all the time (and not to mention $) you will have spent getting the K1 visa? You may as well just get the K1, go to the U.S, marry, file for AOS, get your AP and then return to the UK to have a blessing in front of all the ppl that couldnt make it to the U.S. I am sure they can wait a another few months to see you get married!
Hi:

If the two marriages are to different people, then the second is void AND bigamous.

If the two ceremonies are to the same person, then the second one is void as a superfluity. But it is not bigamous.

Look -- I've had cases where we were not sure if the first marriage was valid or not, so I have had clients do a second ceremony [usually civil] to leave no doubt that they are, in fact, married. Former INS now DHS has never blinked an eyelash at that -- in fact, they have always honored the first one of doubtful legality to avoid the condition! Of course, I put in a Memorandum Points and Authorities to the effect that the first marriage is just fine and throw in the cherry at the end of "in the alternative..."
Old Apr 12th 2008, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

PhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nicePhilG is just really nice

Thank you all for your thoughts - except ian-mstm, the self-described "sanctimonious prick". I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question. It was just an idea I had, and I wondered what people thought.