Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can you drive on Fiance Visa?

Wikiposts

Can you drive on Fiance Visa?

Old Feb 21st 2010, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

bright777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you drive on Fiance Visa?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No. It will take around 90-100 days before you can work after you file for AOS. If you file for AOS the day after you get married (as long as you have your marriage certificate) it'll only take 90-100 days from when you get married. If you have to wait 4 weeks before you get your marriage certificate, then it'll take about 120-130 days after you get married.

The marriage allows you to file for AOS. How long it takes before you can work is determined by when you file for AOS... not when you get married.

You can still look for work even if you don't have permission to work. You can still go to job interviews, and you can still accept an offer of employment. What you can't do... is sign any papers, or actually work.

Ian
Thanks Ian, Yep I get ya, I can only apply for AOS once I have gotten married and have the marriage certificate so will probably have about a 90-100 day wait to work once I apply for a AOS.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No. It will take around 90-100 days before you can work after you file for AOS. If you file for AOS the day after you get married (as long as you have your marriage certificate) it'll only take 90-100 days from when you get married. If you have to wait 4 weeks before you get your marriage certificate, then it'll take about 120-130 days after you get married.

The marriage allows you to file for AOS. How long it takes before you can work is determined by when you file for AOS... not when you get married.

You can still look for work even if you don't have permission to work. You can still go to job interviews, and you can still accept an offer of employment. What you can't do... is sign any papers, or actually work.

Ian
So far it seems that the issue discussed is when you can apply for a DL.

You also need to look to see at what point Arkansas consider you a resident and require one.

The stupid thing is that you can continue to use your UK DL in other states.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
So far it seems that the issue discussed is when you can apply for a DL.

You also need to look to see at what point Arkansas consider you a resident and require one.

The stupid thing is that you can continue to use your UK DL in other states.
Yep, I have no idea if Arkansas will allow me to get a Arkansas driving license with just a marriage license, K-1 visa, UK driving license and passport. I don't know for how long I can use my UK license for in Arkansas either.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bright777
Yep, I have no idea if Arkansas will allow me to get a Arkansas driving license with just a marriage license, K-1 visa, UK driving license and passport. I don't know for how long I can use my UK license for in Arkansas either.
Bright, pay a bit more attention hon. It's about 100% unlikely you will get an Arkansas license with simply those docs. However, if you have some patience and wait for your EAD to come through, that document may actually get your somewhere (along with your Social Security card). The EAD is proof of your legal status in the US, more so than the K1 visa (to the DMV monkeys anyway). In the meantime, you should have no issues driving on your UK license. In the almost 6yrs I've been on this forum, I've seen no one posting that they got in trouble for driving on their UK license while awaiting certain documents from USCIS.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 4:57 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in agreement with sfg's approach.

If you cannot document to the DMV's (or whatever the particular state calls it) satisfaction that you are now resident in the USA, then from their point of view you're a vistor. And visitor's are generally allowed to drive on their 'home' license for a longer period of time than it typically takes to get the required immigration documentation.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
In the meantime, you should have no issues driving on your UK license. In the almost 6yrs I've been on this forum, I've seen no one posting that they got in trouble for driving on their UK license while awaiting certain documents from USCIS.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I'm in agreement with sfg's approach.

If you cannot document to the DMV's (or whatever the particular state calls it) satisfaction that you are now resident in the USA, then from their point of view you're a vistor. And visitor's are generally allowed to drive on their 'home' license for a longer period of time than it typically takes to get the required immigration documentation.

Regards, JEff
That worked in Colorado, but other states wording is more precise.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
That worked in Colorado, but other states wording is more precise.
Specifically California, where it seems to be quite a little money-making venture, from reading expats' stories.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:57 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

But hey, California need to make all the money it can get before its' debt burden triggers the San Andreas fault.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by meauxna
Specifically California, where it seems to be quite a little money-making venture, from reading expats' stories.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Emily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to all

This is with the caveat your state's mileage may really vary. Sorry excuse the pun. ;-)

However, one of the issues with applying for a US drivers license is that it can nullify your overseas license.

In some states, if you can produce the paperwork to show residency for the purposes of acquiring a US license, which is a good idea as if nothing else it will reduce the cost of your auto insurance, then you will be required to go through regular security checks with the DMV to check your legal status in the country.

If you fail to produce the right paperwork, then your license in the state could be revoked and your right to drive on your overseas license in that state could be revoked too.

So you may wish to consider this when applying for the license in the first place. And ensure, that you have the proper documenation that they list to prove status, if your state does security checks (which it wont necessarily mention it does on its website).

HTH!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TotalIdiot
This is with the caveat your state's mileage may really vary. Sorry excuse the pun. ;-)

However, one of the issues with applying for a US drivers license is that it can nullify your overseas license.

In some states, if you can produce the paperwork to show residency for the purposes of acquiring a US license, which is a good idea as if nothing else it will reduce the cost of your auto insurance, then you will be required to go through regular security checks with the DMV to check your legal status in the country.

If you fail to produce the right paperwork, then your license in the state could be revoked and your right to drive on your overseas license in that state could be revoked too.

So you may wish to consider this when applying for the license in the first place. And ensure, that you have the proper documenation that they list to prove status, if your state does security checks (which it wont necessarily mention it does on its website).

HTH!
Hmm thats interesting. Well when I go in to apply for the lisence with as much paper work as possible if they say 'Nope sorry thats not enough", then I can just use my UK lisence for as long as I am legally able to in that state.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Emily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to all

Some states will accept proof of filling various documents as proof of legal status some dont. It seems from reading your DMV's site there is no mention.

So, really what you want to do is go with biggest smile and head over to DMV and ask them how do you get and retain a license until you have entirely finished your AOS.

Dont also forget to keep your records up to date with DMV if they let you have a license, which sounds like you will have to go through the entire test. As if they somehow decide you have to go through security checks, those notices will come in the mail.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TotalIdiot
Some states will accept proof of filling various documents as proof of legal status some dont. It seems from reading your DMV's site there is no mention.

So, really what you want to do is go with biggest smile and head over to DMV and ask them how do you get and retain a license until you have entirely finished your AOS.

Dont also forget to keep your records up to date with DMV if they let you have a license, which sounds like you will have to go through the entire test. As if they somehow decide you have to go through security checks, those notices will come in the mail.
Hmm good point, what security checks do they go through exactly?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Basically a security check will say something along the lines that you right to drive will be evoked in that state from such and such date, unless you can show proof of legal status. So, this could kick in as a first date when your I-94 expires.

You would then have to check on your states DMV requirements for documents that you could bring along with your driver's license which then itself becomes a primary document for what could constitute proof of legal statues.

For example, receipt for applying for EAD could constitute proof of legal status in some states.

From that you will then receive another new license and will have on that a valid date - which could be the same length as anyone else...

But then it could have another date on it, with SC by it. Which then means you have to go back to DMV and show them the same documents again or whatever new documents again. They, then may or may not clip that license and send you on your merry way with yet another license. Some states by the way charge for this.

All in all, it will as a process this will make you love your British license more, as that was issued until you are 70! And you will make great friends at the DMV, hence I recommeded smiling, as you could be seeing them often!!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:10 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should just tell us what state you did this in; none of this tracks with what I know of most states.
They're not doing 'security' checks. People simply have to show proof of status to comply with REAL ID Act.

Applying for an EAD implies an underlying status; *some* states will let you use proof of applying for AOS (I-797c receipt) but what you're getting out sounds.. fishy? Or excessively complicated.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Well DMV varies from state to state, as we know. What constitutes acceptable primary documentation in one state may not in another. And what is one states policy however fishy it might sound, is just their policy or complexity, however, you would like to think about it.

I prefer not to mention the state that I picked up this knowledge. However, from that state here is the what it says is needed is "additional proof of your lawful admission period, such as a form DS-2019, I-797, I-20 or other official immigration document or receipt".

HTH!

BTW Does anyone know how to change usernames? The one I have reflects how I felt about myself one day... after a day... trying to sort out stuff! LOL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.