Can you drive on Fiance Visa?

Wikiposts

Can you drive on Fiance Visa?

Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

bright777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you drive on Fiance Visa?

Hello,

I was just wondering if you can drive on a fiance visa while you are waiting for your EAD or Temp EAD?
I know you can drive using the British driving license for 30 days upon arrival but after that can you take a driving test while waiting for an EAD on a fiance visa?

Also does anyone know if you can do voluntary work while waiting for an EAD on a fiance visa?

Thanks....
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you drive on Fiance Visa?

Originally Posted by bright777
I was just wondering if you can drive on a fiance visa while you are waiting for your EAD or Temp EAD?
I know you can drive using the British driving license for 30 days upon arrival but after that can you take a driving test while waiting for an EAD on a fiance visa?
You'll have to look up the requirements in the state you'll be living in. DMV requirements are different for each state. Normally, they need your SS card and something to show you are here legally, with an expiration date. Then they give you a drivers license for that amount of time only, and you have to go get a new one when you get a new document with a new expiration date. So, for example, if you were to get a drivers license by using your I-94, it will only be valid as long as that is. Then when you get your 1-year EAD, you'll replace your drivers license and it will be valid until the EAD expires. When you get your green card, same procedure.

Also does anyone know if you can do voluntary work while waiting for an EAD on a fiance visa?
What's the job? Do you have anything in mind at the moment? To my knowledge, as long as it's truly a volunteer job, which no one would ever be paid for, you might be OK. Not if it's a job one would normally be paid for, but you're offering not to get paid.

Rene
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:47 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

50 states and a few odds and ends means that many different laws.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Default Can you drive on Fiance Visa?

Thanks for the replies,

I did some research on what you suggested and found that I need to provide legal proof of presence and proof of identity.

I need to have a (N-550, N-570, or N-578) or a I-151, I-551, AR-3, AR-3A, or AR-103 all of which as far as I know I can not get until I get my right to work.

Last edited by bright777; Feb 20th 2010 at 9:52 am.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:53 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I need to have a (N-550, N-570, or N-578) or a I-151, I-551, AR-3, AR-3A, or AR-103 all of which as far as I know I can not get until I get my right to work.
An I-151, AR-3, AR-3A or AR-103???? That is really hilarious, ROFL big time. Certificates of Naturalization and a valid green card I can see. A Certificate of Citizenship won't work?? You should attach a of some sort to that one. Thanks for the laugh.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies,

I did some research on what you suggested and found that I need to provide legal proof of presence and proof of identity.

What state are you in? (besides a state of confusion, lol)

Rene
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies,

As you might tell from the other reply, the numbers you list are not documents you will have as a K-1 immigrant. The only one that will apply to you is I-551, which is the Green Card.
That is what you get after arriving with your K-1, getting married, and applying for your AOS/Adjustment of Status.

The interim work permit you will apply for *with* your AOS (per your previous thread) is called an EAD/Employment Authorization Document I-766.
That is normally the first document you will get that shows sufficient legal presence for you to get a driver's license in most states.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:44 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
As you might tell from the other reply, the numbers you list are not documents you will have as a K-1 immigrant. The only one that will apply to you is I-551, which is the Green Card.
That is what you get after arriving with your K-1, getting married, and applying for your AOS/Adjustment of Status.

The interim work permit you will apply for *with* your AOS (per your previous thread) is called an EAD/Employment Authorization Document I-766.
That is normally the first document you will get that shows sufficient legal presence for you to get a driver's license in most states.
Still haven't got a state of the OP -- so even if someone did have experience of that particular authority, they're unlikely to know it.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Still haven't got a state of the OP -- so even if someone did have experience of that particular authority, they're unlikely to know it.
... and, even then, knowing what is required in a particular state and having the appropriate documents is only the first part of the battle - once that is over the real fun starts when you have to deal with the employees at your particular state's Department/Bureau of Motor Vehicles ...
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:11 pm

To literally answer the OP's question: "Can you drive on a Fiance Visa?" The answer is "Yes, if you line it up under the tire just right".

Rene
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your replies, the state is Arkansas.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your replies, the state is Arkansas.
Fine, now do you have the link to share with the required documents?
We can help you decode it.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Fine, now do you have the link to share with the required documents?
We can help you decode it.
I just took a look at the Arkansas driver's license manual. It makes sense and I don't see what OP's problem is. But I did appreciate that list he posted -- it was funny.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I just took a look at the Arkansas driver's license manual. It makes sense and I don't see what OP's problem is. But I did appreciate that list he posted -- it was funny.
Really? That seems unkind. If you do not want to explain jargon that the OP is unfamiliar with, you don't need to but I don't understand publicly 'laughing' at him.

Thanks for the replies,

bright, this is the page I viewed:

http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/...FAQ%27s.aspx#e

All new applicants for an Arkansas driver's license or identification card are required to provide proof of legal presence in the United States as well as proof of identity.

To prove legal presence in the United States one of the following documents must be shown:

* U.S. Passport/U.S. Passport Card
* U.S. Birth Certificate
* U.S. Visa
* Photo Document from DHS -
(Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration) -

(No Border Crosser)
* Photo Military/Military Dependent ID
* Armed Forces Discharge Papers
* Naturalization Certificate

The bold item is the only one you will have access to. The first photo document you will get from DHS is either your EAD, or your green card.

Anything on the document list that refers to "INS" means "DHS" now.. there is no more INS, but basically, it's the Immigration bods.

FWIW, Arkansas seems to have a pretty restrictive driver's department.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:01 am
BE Commentator

Really? That seems unkind. If you do not want to explain jargon that the OP is unfamiliar with, you don't need to but I don't understand publicly 'laughing' at him.

bright, this is the page I viewed:

http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/...FAQ%27s.aspx#e

All new applicants for an Arkansas driver's license or identification card are required to provide proof of legal presence in the United States as well as proof of identity.

To prove legal presence in the United States one of the following documents must be shown:

* U.S. Passport/U.S. Passport Card
* U.S. Birth Certificate
* U.S. Visa
* Photo Document from DHS -
(Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration) -

(No Border Crosser)
* Photo Military/Military Dependent ID
* Armed Forces Discharge Papers
* Naturalization Certificate

The bold item is the only one you will have access to. The first photo document you will get from DHS is either your EAD, or your green card.

Anything on the document list that refers to "INS" means "DHS" now.. there is no more INS, but basically, it's the Immigration bods.

FWIW, Arkansas seems to have a pretty restrictive driver's department.
To OP -- the link is a good one. When you enter on an F-1 visa you will have your foreign passport with the visa and notation of admission in it. I respectfully disagree with Meauxna's implication that this is not so.

By way of apology -- I see that the identification part of things makes specific reference to obsolete forms. As amusing as this may be, the references are a superfluity and don't affect the requirements in your case.

I also respectfully disagree that Arkansas has the strictest requirements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.