can wife sponsor?

Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

jay007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can wife sponsor?

Me and wifey are Permanent Residents of Canada. My wife also happens to be a US Citizen by birth. Is it possible for her to sponsor my immigration? she has never lived or worked in the United States.

Please help
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: can wife sponsor?

Originally Posted by jay007
Me and wifey are Permanent Residents of Canada. My wife also happens to be a US Citizen by birth. Is it possible for her to sponsor my immigration? she has never lived or worked in the United States.

Please help
Hi:

Yes. But there are some complications.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

jay007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Yes. But there are some complications.
Like what? can you help me through the process?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Please help
Is she going to move back to the US? That will be a requirement, I believe.

How Do I Bring My Spouse (Husband or Wife) to Live in the United States?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
Is she going to move back to the US? That will be a requirement, I believe.

How Do I Bring My Spouse (Husband or Wife) to Live in the United States?
Hi:

Of course she wil have to move back with him, in not before. There will be issues with the I-864, perhaps joint sponsor will be needed. No idea what their assets are.

Of course the OP mentions she has not worked "in the United States" but somehow does not mention what she has been doing in the way of United States tax returns.

A lot of issues there.

I may be a lawyer but I'm not THEIR lawyer.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

Hi:

I'm a lawyer, but not YOUR lawyer. If you want to hire a lawyer to advise you, that is fine.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, and look at the I-130. That's the first form she'll need to file for you. Start there, then look at the I-864, this is the Affidavit of Support she needs to meet requirements for. For the income amount needed, see form I-864P.

That's a start, anyway!

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Go to www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, and look at the I-130. That's the first form she'll need to file for you. Start there, then look at the I-864, this is the Affidavit of Support she needs to meet requirements for. For the income amount needed, see form I-864P.

That's a start, anyway!

Rene
Hi Rene:

Assets may turn the trick; or maybe not.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Me and wifey are Permanent Residents of Canada.
I'm not sure if a "telephone wedding" is recognized as being legal. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...98&postcount=1

Ian
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm not sure if a "telephone wedding" is recognized as being legal. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...98&postcount=1

Ian
Hi:

A proxy marriage will be recognized for immigration purposes if legal at "place of celebration" and is thereafter "consumated." As always, burden of proof is on the petitioner and later the visa applicant.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
A proxy marriage will be recognized for immigration purposes if legal at "place of celebration" and is thereafter "consumated."
He was in Pakistan, she was in Canada. Which place is the "place of celebration"? It may be okay in Pakistan, but proxy marriage is not allowed in Canada.

CIC Operations Manual, 5.30 Recognition of a marriage: "... At this time, no provinces permit proxy marriages; therefore, these marriages are invalid."

Regardless, and I'm only guessing here... the "marriage" was probably consumated at some later date.

Ian