Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can spouses attend the IR green card interview

Can spouses attend the IR green card interview

Old Sep 1st 2019, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Acheerfulgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can spouses attend the IR green card interview

Hi all, we're almost to go time with my UKC husband's green card interview on Friday morning. We've scheduled for me to come with him, but I can't remember what I need to do to be allowed to come inside the embassy. Would anyone help me out with that info, please?!

Also, we were making sure we had all the paperwork together and in order yesterday, and realized that I don't have my W-2 from 2018 here. The directions of what to bring seemed slightly ambiguous. I DO have the tax transcript from 2018 though. Do we need the W-2? My parents can scan it and email it for us if we need it. Kind of thinking better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, right?

Thank you guys!
Old Sep 1st 2019, 2:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can spouses attend the IR green card interview

If you have the tax transcript you don't need the W-2.

Notify the embassy via their "contact us" page to let them know you'll be with your UKC spouse at his visa interview.

Rene
Old Sep 1st 2019, 7:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

BTW don't ask to come to his Green Card Interview. There is no such animal at the US Embassy. Your husband is going to the Embassy for his Immediate Relative Visa.

See if you can get the tax transcript from the IRS before you leave for the UK.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 7:24 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Your US passport should get you in the building.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! We filled in the form and sent it a few days ago, but haven't heard anything from the embassy by email. Is this normal? Should I try the contact form again? Our appointment is tomorrow (6 Sept) at 1130 so we're low on time now.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
BTW don't ask to come to his Green Card Interview. There is no such animal at the US Embassy. Your husband is going to the Embassy for his Immediate Relative Visa.

See if you can get the tax transcript from the IRS before you leave for the UK.
I've got three years of tax transcripts so we're okay there. My parents scanned my most recent tax return and I've printed out the W2 from that just to be safe. I am awaiting a response from the embassy about our request made through the contact form on Tuesday. Should I call back?
Old Sep 5th 2019, 5:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Acheerfulgirl
Thank you! We filled in the form and sent it a few days ago, but haven't heard anything from the embassy by email. Is this normal? Should I try the contact form again? Our appointment is tomorrow (6 Sept) at 1130 so we're low on time now.
You won't hear anything back. You just show up on the day and assume their name is on the list of attendees.

Rene
Old Sep 5th 2019, 5:18 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You won't hear anything back. You just show up on the day and assume their name is on the list of attendees.

Rene
And if you can't go in with him you head to the local Waitrose(?) and have a nervous coffee while he is in the embassy. That is what our son's girlfriend did while he had his interview last year.
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

teajayy is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife came to the Embassy with me, we travelled from Sheffield and made a night of it in London. She had her old driving licence, from the US, on her showing her photo and that was enough for security to let her in.

When the consulate officer called me to the window, he asked if that was my wife sat down behind me in the waiting area. I said yes and he said she can come up to the window. I'm glad she was there because she didn't have any tax returns, didn't know she should've been filing, and it made the process easier for the officer to discuss what she needed to do.
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 2:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry that you had that experience at the interview. Yes, USC must file tax returns annually on all their worldwide income no matter where they live. You joined us a little too late to find out that information but that is water under the bridge. How long did it take for your wife to comply with the tax requirements and for you to finally get your visa?
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 6:40 am
Just Joined

teajayy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Sorry that you had that experience at the interview. Yes, USC must file tax returns annually on all their worldwide income no matter where they live. You joined us a little too late to find out that information but that is water under the bridge. How long did it take for your wife to comply with the tax requirements and for you to finally get your visa?
My wife simply had to email the consulate explaining that she was unaware she had to file taxes, which she did as soon as we left the Embassy. The consulate officer said once they have the email and if everything is ok with my medical I should have my visa in about 2 weeks.