Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can someone please give me advice?

Wikiposts

Can someone please give me advice?

Old Mar 19th 2004, 10:13 am
Just Joined

saidiecat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can someone please give me advice?

Hi, I am an american, and I've been looking everywhere to get some advice. I'm planning to go to UK and marry my fiancee. Then, does that mean, I have to go back and petition the visa for him? Then he gets his stuff and files it? If so how long does all that take. I've heard it can take up to three to six weeks until he gets an interview or whatever.

Also, does anyone know where to start to get married in UK? I'm a bit lost in this mess of an internet...
Old Mar 19th 2004, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

amol_k3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can someone please give me advice?

Originally posted by saidiecat
Hi, I am an american, and I've been looking everywhere to get some advice. I'm planning to go to UK and marry my fiancee. Then, does that mean, I have to go back and petition the visa for him? Then he gets his stuff and files it? If so how long does all that take. I've heard it can take up to three to six weeks until he gets an interview or whatever.

Also, does anyone know where to start to get married in UK? I'm a bit lost in this mess of an internet...
Search this board and google for "K3 visa". You should find plenty of information on how the process works.

Regards,
Amol
Old Mar 19th 2004, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

waitingforAOS has a spectacular aura aboutwaitingforAOS has a spectacular aura aboutwaitingforAOS has a spectacular aura about

Sadie:

If you go to UK and get married and are back, you will have to file for his AOS (Adjustment of status) or I485 (the complete package). His work authorization and visa might come through, but, the actual green card can take longer. In my case, in ATlanta, it has been 2 years since i filed my case and have not heard anything as yet from the INS (BCIS). This depends on state-to-state. You can get more info. on www.uscis.gov and search for how to file for AOS for your spouse. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

leedspaddy1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Taking into account Mr Bush's current stance on immigration ie lack of a stance.......it would be quicker for you guys if you just get him to fly over to the US on a 90 day visa waiver, marry and file for AOS a week before his I-94(visa waiver ) expires, get an EAD(work permit) 3 months later, have AOS interview approx 12 -15 months after you originally file, get 2 year conditional green card, file for I-"I'll have grey hairs growing out of my ass before I get approved" 751, then apply for citizenship before I-751 approval, then have a citizenship interview and hope that I-751 is approved simultanously.........then Bob's your uncle and you can then kiss the USCIS goodbye after 5 years or so.......
Old Mar 19th 2004, 2:24 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by leedspaddy1971
Taking into account Mr Bush's current stance on immigration ie lack of a stance.......it would be quicker for you guys if you just get him to fly over to the US on a 90 day visa waiver, marry and file for AOS a week before his I-94(visa waiver ) expires, get an EAD(work permit) 3 months later, have AOS interview approx 12 -15 months after you originally file, get 2 year conditional green card, file for I-"I'll have grey hairs growing out of my ass before I get approved" 751, then apply for citizenship before I-751 approval, then have a citizenship interview and hope that I-751 is approved simultanously.........then Bob's your uncle and you can then kiss the USCIS goodbye after 5 years or so.......

You've just touched on the 10 foot pole issue leedspaddy 1971! Coming to the US with the intent of getting married AND staying without legal permission (ie a fiance visa) is a big no no. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare?
Old Mar 19th 2004, 3:15 pm
AlphaTrion-TJW

> You've
    > just touched on the 10 foot pole issue leedspaddy 1971! Coming to the US
    > with the intent of getting married AND staying without legal permission
    > (ie a fiance visa) is a big no no. Remember the story of the tortoise
    > and the hare?

While I won't condone the deliberate undertaking of this course of action, I
do have to say that " tortoise and the hare" approach of our current
immigration system is woefully outdated and that lawful wed couples should
be fast-tracked through the process rather than beind forced to be seperate
or incur large expense just to visit each other while they go through this
headache.

--
Toby & Antoinette Woods
~~~ http://www.woodsfamily.cjb.net ~~~

Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:39 pm
Mtravelkay

saidiecat wrote:

> Hi, I am an american, and I've been looking everywhere to get some
    > advice. I'm planning to go to UK and marry my fiancee. Then, does that
    > mean, I have to go back and petition the visa for him? Then he gets his
    > stuff and files it? If so how long does all that take. I've heard it can
    > take up to three to six weeks until he gets an interview or whatever.

3 to 6 weeks?? Try a reality check.. Try 6 months or so.

>
    >
    > Also, does anyone know where to start to get married in UK? I'm a bit
    > lost in this mess of an internet...
    >

Doesn't your fiancee know anyone in the UK that has gotten married?
Doesn't he live there?

Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:43 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by leedspaddy1971
Teen foot pole, red flag RAISED!!!
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:59 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AlphaTrion-TJW
    > You've
    > just touched on the 10 foot pole issue leedspaddy 1971! Coming to the US
    > with the intent of getting married AND staying without legal permission
    > (ie a fiance visa) is a big no no. Remember the story of the tortoise
    > and the hare?

While I won't condone the deliberate undertaking of this course of action, I
headache.

--
Toby & Antoinette Woods
~~~ http://www.woodsfamily.cjb.net ~~~

My reference to the the tortoise and the hare was meant as what seems to be a quick fix can go wrong.
I know well enough about being forced to lead seperate lives while married. We were married over 3 years by the time my husband got here.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Well, congratulations first of all.

Getting married in the UK is a little bit more restrictive than getting married in the US. You will have to be resident in England for 7 days before the marriage. I don't imagine that will be a big deal for you. It just means you have to arrive at least 7 days before your wedding day. Secondly, you are restricted as to where you can have the wedding. My understanding is that there is a list of approved venues that your husband can get from the register office.

Once married you will file a I-130 petition for your husband at BCIS office that covers the place where you live in the US. When you receive a recipt notice from that (not an approval or denial, just a note acknowledging receipt), you will file an I-129F in order to apply for a K-3 visa. And if that is approved he will be interviewed at the consulate in London and the visa granted there (assuming the interview goes well).

The whole process will take about 6 months. It may not be advisable for him to visit the US during that 6 month period, so you may have to be prepared to visit him in England if you wish to see one another during that long waiting time.

Alternatively he can use a K-1 visa if you would prefer to get married in the US.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am an american, and I've been looking everywhere to get some advice. I'm planning to go to UK and marry my fiancee. Then, does that mean, I have to go back and petition the visa .....

Hi Saidiecat

If you type "UK marriage law" into Google there is lots of info.
In a nutshell though, for civil ceremonies the USC as well as the UKC has to be resident in the district where marriage will take place for 7 clear days before the couple can give notice of marriage (£30 each) Original birth certificates/passportd and any divorce decrees need to be produced.
Then a further 16 clear days (minimum) must pass before the marriage can take place.(£50)

We are marrying this way, but my US fiance has obtained entry clearance (a UK Fiance Visa) so that he can then obtain leave to remain here afterwards ....and eventually petition for my immigration via the US Embassy in London (DCF).
This is thought to be the fastest route, but it is also the most expensive, and can only be tried if the USC has the opportuinity of living in the UK for a period.

Good luck, whichever route you take
Ann
Old Mar 20th 2004, 1:08 am
AlphaTrion-TJW

Ouch...how much together time out of that 3 years?

Old Mar 20th 2004, 9:47 am
Sursum corda

Originally posted by AlphaTrion-TJW
Ouch...how much together time out of that 3 years?

A week at a time every 3-5 months-I got to know the airports in England rather well, .
Old Mar 20th 2004, 11:53 am
Annie

AlphaTrion-TJW>>>While I won't condone the deliberate undertaking of this
course of action, I
headache.

Annie>>> Amen!