Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can my Fiance file the K1 from the UK?

Wikiposts

Can my Fiance file the K1 from the UK?

Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Clare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really nice
Default Can my Fiance file the K1 from the UK?

I wondered whether it would be possible for my American fiance to file the K1 visa from the UK? Or is it mandatory that it's filed in the US? I'd be grateful for some information on this. Thanks.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can my Fiance file the K1 from the UK?

Originally Posted by Clare37
I wondered whether it would be possible for my American fiance to file the K1 visa from the UK? Or is it mandatory that it's filed in the US? I'd be grateful for some information on this. Thanks.
He can mail it from the UK, but it must be mailed to the Service Center having jurisdiction over his residence in the USA. Make sure there is someone in the USA checking his mail, in case he receives an RFE (request for further evidence). Make sure the check he includes is drawn from a US bank with US funds.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2007, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Clare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
He can mail it from the UK, but it must be mailed to the Service Center having jurisdiction over his residence in the USA. Make sure there is someone in the USA checking his mail, in case he receives an RFE (request for further evidence). Make sure the check he includes is drawn from a US bank with US funds.

Rene
Thanks for this!
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:29 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Just to clarify for anyone who might not realize it... When Rene refers to "it" (as in, "He can mail it from the UK") she is actually referring to the I-129F petition, NOT the K1 visa application.

The American fiance would not file for the K1 visa, but rather the I-129F petition at the appropriate Service Center in the US. If the I-129F petition is approved, that would allow the UK fiancee to apply for a K1 visa, which has to be done in the UK.

I-129F petition = Filed in US
K1 visa = Filed outside the US (in this case, the UK) after I-129F has been approved

~ Jenney
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Just to clarify for anyone who might not realize it... When Rene refers to "it" (as in, "He can mail it from the UK") she is actually referring to the I-129F petition, NOT the K1 visa application.

The American fiance would not file for the K1 visa, but rather the I-129F petition at the appropriate Service Center in the US. If the I-129F petition is approved, that would allow the UK fiancee to apply for a K1 visa, which has to be done in the UK.

I-129F petition = Filed in US
K1 visa = Filed outside the US (in this case, the UK) after I-129F has been approved

~ Jenney
Thanks for clarifying.