Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can my American Boyfriend sponsor me?

Wikiposts

Can my American Boyfriend sponsor me?

Old Nov 27th 2009, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can my American Boyfriend sponsor me?

Originally Posted by UKUSA82
Or you could apply for the 6 month tourist visa, but you cannot legally work in the US on a tourist visa, then apply for the fiance visa (3 months) then you would have to marry at the end of that.
You can't get a visa while you're inside the US - which is what you suggest, even if that's not what you meant. Also, you can't "marry at the end of that"... you must marry *before* the "end of that". Further, if you are eligible to use the VWP then you will likely not get a B-2 tourist visa.

Words have specific meanings! If you're going to make suggestions, please think them through first... and then proofread for clarity!

Ian
Old Nov 27th 2009, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ButterflyWhite
Im going around circles again.
It's very simple... there are 2 routes available via marriage: 1) you marry a US citizen and then apply for a spouse visa; or 2) you apply for a fiancee visa and within 90 days of entering the US you marry the US citizen who sponsored you.

For now... don't get stuck on things like "how long does it take" and "how much will it cost" and "so many forms". Answer the question - would you like to be married before or after you get a visa... and go from there. Each visa has pros/cons... so research carefully, and take it one step at a time. Don't confuse yourself with things that have to be done later in the process... you'll have lots of time to deal with that when the time comes.

There is no boyfriend/girlfriend visa, and there is no "move the US and then decide what to do visa".

Ian
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:12 am
Just Joined

ButterflyWhite is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Can my American Boyfriend sponsor me?

Thats picture clear now guys... thanks for all ur help here. thnks again Ian. appretiate it.!!!
Old Nov 28th 2009, 4:55 am
Just Joined

UKUSA82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can't get a visa while you're inside the US - which is what you suggest, even if that's not what you meant. Also, you can't "marry at the end of that"... you must marry *before* the "end of that". Further, if you are eligible to use the VWP then you will likely not get a B-2 tourist visa.

Words have specific meanings! If you're going to make suggestions, please think them through first... and then proofread for clarity!

Ian
I would hope that anyone wanting to come to the US would seek professional advice before applying for a visa and not rely on a discussion forum. Not every case is the same.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:06 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I would hope that anyone wanting to come to the US would seek professional advice before applying for a visa and not rely on a discussion forum. Not every case is the same.
Thank you for your confidence in the members of this forum. With two posts under your belt, there really is no finer method of making friends or influencing people.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:24 am
Just Joined

ButterflyWhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Right.. so who can i get a professional advice from, like u say "not every case is the same". true. and when do i apply for the tourist visa? before i enter The US ?
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:25 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Why a lot of people have very straight forward applications and do not need to spend money for what amounts to nothing else than employing a professional form filler at very high hourly rate.

If you took the time to look around and read this board you will see as soon as someone has a problematic case they are advised to seek a professional to at least explain things to them. There are some very knowledgeable people here most of whom know their limitations.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:37 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

This is pretty straight forward, no reason for professional advice on this one.

Do a search of this forum and you'll see what kind of cases need professional advice.

I came over on a K1 just as straight forward as this case and all I did was read and reread everything cross all the t's and dot all the i's, jumped through every hoop and did it all myself.

Forgot to add waited patiently (about 11 months) and paid my money (oh they do love that money).
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:18 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You seem very knowledgable, I have a few conviction for accidently being in posession of a class A drug. I think the police planted them on me .
Will this affect my O visa application
Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a feeling that this may be a case where a lawyer may help.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is not a waste of money to have a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney about your case. Helps in determining what the various routes are and what pitfalls you might have in your individual instance.

Even I had a consultation with an immigration attorney before I took on the petition for a K-1 visa for my now husband.

Originally Posted by lansbury
Why a lot of people have very straight forward applications and do not need to spend money for what amounts to nothing else than employing a professional form filler at very high hourly rate.

If you took the time to look around and read this board you will see as soon as someone has a problematic case they are advised to seek a professional to at least explain things to them. There are some very knowledgeable people here most of whom know their limitations.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:30 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It is not a waste of money to have a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney about your case. Helps in determining what the various routes are and what pitfalls you might have in your individual instance.

Even I had a consultation with an immigration attorney before I took on the petition for a K-1 visa for my now husband.
Sorry disagree, I didn't say it was a waste of money I said they don't need to spend it. Someone with a modicum of common sense in a straightforward case can quite easily do it themselves. I put myself forward as a prime example. It was quite clear which visa to use and what forms and evidence to provide. All a lawyer would have done was told me what I could have researched elsewhere and charge me for it. There was no need to spend the money for information freely available elsewhere.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lansbury
There was no need to spend the money for information freely available elsewhere.
Actually, you can thank Rete for that. She was instrumental in getting the Usenet newsgroup alt.visa.us.marriage-based started... the newsgroup that was eventually ported to BE as this forum. Mind you, that was a while ago... when information was *not* "freely available elsewhere".

Ian
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:59 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Actually, you can thank Rete for that. She was instrumental in getting the Usenet newsgroup alt.visa.us.marriage-based started... the newsgroup that was eventually ported to BE as this forum. Mind you, that was a while ago... when information was *not* "freely available elsewhere".

Ian
For the most part, information has always been freely available, even before the invention of computers and usenet groups. They were called books and were kept in these things called a library.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 1:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
For the most part, information has always been freely available, even before the invention of computers and usenet groups. They were called books and were kept in these things called a library.
What madness do you speak??

The major benefit of discussion groups, and why they are better for these situations, is that they give a voice to all the 'real life' stories of the way things *actually* happen vs what's 'in the book'. Procedures change, often quickly, and books can't keep up.
It's also an opportunity for dense legal lingo to be translated into words that actually mean something to people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.