Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can my American Boyfriend sponsor me?

Wikiposts

Can my American Boyfriend sponsor me?

Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:35 am
Just Joined

ButterflyWhite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can my American Boyfriend sponsor me?

Hi there,
Im very new in this website and im just looking for some helpful advice from anyone out there who knows about the type of Visa i would need and what to do, but here is the situation first.. Im a British Citizen, and currently still living in Uk. I have been with my boyfriend for years in the UK, but hes American nationality and he finally went back for work purpose to the USA. We both now decided that i should relocate there and hopefully get married there in the near future.. as well as finding a course that i can study there and get my degree. So, can he as my boyfriend sponsor me? although he is well financially stable and can support me.. and what type of visa would i need?
Any advice and guidence would be appretiated thank you all..!!!
Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:38 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can my American Boyfriend sponsor me?

All the info is here:-

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

and here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1
Old Nov 27th 2009, 11:26 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ButterflyWhite
We both now decided that i should relocate there and hopefully get married there in the near future.
There are basically two routes you can take... entering the US with a K-1 (fiancee) visa, or entering the US with a CR-1 (spouse) visa. Follow the links provided above.

If you pursue the K-1 (fiancee) visa, you must marry within 90 days of entering the US. If your definition of "near future" is different, well...

So, can he as my boyfriend sponsor me?
Yes... indeed, he *must*.

Ian
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:18 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

No, your "boyfriend" can not sponsor you. Your intended husband can though. If you go through the procedures Ian listed above, you must plan on getting married within defined time limits.

You can not do this and stay boyfriend / girlfriend.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ian for getting back to me.. well, we were kinda hoping to tie the knot for next year or so, we dont have a date yet, but what happens if i dont get married in those 90 days then? is there any other type of visa? and how do i get/apply for the (Fiancee) or K1 visa?
Thank you.

Milan
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I have been with my boyfriend for years in the UK,
Thank you.

Milan
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

This is so confusing, many forms to read. Im going around circles again. So how else can he sponsor me? or who else can sponsor me? I slo have a cousing girl that is an american born. my mum and her mum are sisters.. but i read in some website that in order for a relative to sponsor me, i have to provide documents showing how we related etc etc. we dont have the same family names or anything. shes my forst cousing. aint that enough?

Thanks guys
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

This is so confusing, many forms to read. Im going around circles again. So how else can he sponsor me? or who else can sponsor me? I slo have a cousing girl that is an american born. my mum and her mum are sisters.. but i read in some website that in order for a relative to sponsor me, i have to provide documents showing how we related etc etc. we dont have the same family names or anything. shes my forst cousing. aint that enough?

Thanks guys
Your cousin cannot sponsor you.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If he

Marries you

OR

Is going to marry you within 90 days

If you want to go as a Student that is another issue, it will not be cheap. Look up F1 Visa.

Cousins are irrelevant.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

UKUSA82 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you remain bf/gf then no, I don't believe he can sponsor you. To stay in the States long-term is hard. If you have a "special skill" you could find a company to sponsor you and get a working visa. Or you could be a student and get a student visa (tuition is expensive here), but you usually can't work on the student visa. Or you could apply for the 6 month tourist visa, but you cannot legally work in the US on a tourist visa, then apply for the fiance visa (3 months) then you would have to marry at the end of that.
Basically, it's very difficult to get into the US long-term and the visa process is complicated and confusing at times, so you will probably need a lawyer. If I were you, I would marry; it's the easiest way to get a visa!
Your cousin will not be of any help in getting a visa.
Hope this helps
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:13 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian for getting back to me.. well, we were kinda hoping to tie the knot for next year or so, we dont have a date yet, but what happens if i dont get married in those 90 days then? is there any other type of visa? and how do i get/apply for the (Fiancee) or K1 visa?
Thank you.

Milan
I have been reading questions like yours for so long on here that I KNEW what the next question was going to be BEFORE you asked it. That's why I told you immediately after Ian posted that YOU CANNOT DO THIS AND STAY BOYFRIEND / GIRLFRIEND.

It might not be what you want to hear but it's the truth. You must get married or get your own visa on your own merits.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

OMG!! I got Migraine now.. i'll have to discuss this with him again. but thank u so much for ur helpful advice so far..thanks Bill_s..!
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Butterfly, just so you know as well, the US does not recognize a same-sex relationship. I couldn't tell from your posting if you are a woman or not, so I wanted to make sure you are aware of that rule.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:10 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Butterfly, just so you know as well, the US does not recognize a same-sex relationship. I couldn't tell from your posting if you are a woman or not, so I wanted to make sure you are aware of that rule.
Worried me , too. Milan is usually a boy's name in my book.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Post sounded like it was from a female.

Also sounded that F1 would not be that likely.

Lets see...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.