Reload this Page >

Can I be with US petitioner??

Wikiposts

Can I be with US petitioner??

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

incugirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I be with US petitioner??

My US fiance is going to be filing for the I-129F form at the end of the year...can I be there with him when he applys? And is there anybody out there who has been with there partners in the states at the same time they have applied for there I-129F form? I have seen the form and it asks if the partner is with them and if he/she is then to write down the I-94 number.

Also.... what are the forms DS-156, DS-156K & DS230 for??

Cheers!
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 4:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I be with US petitioner??

Originally posted by incugirl
My US fiance is going to be filing for the I-129F form at the end of the year...can I be there with him when he applys? And is there anybody out there who has been with there partners in the states at the same time they have applied for there I-129F form?
If you are not yet married and in the US on a valid visa, you can remain in the US until the I-129f is approved. At that time, you'll need to return to your own country to continue processing - as that information will be sent only to a non-US address.

I have seen the form and it asks if the partner is with them and if he/she is then to write down the I-94 number.
If you were inspected as you entered the US, you should have an I-94 in your passport. If you live in Canada, you probably don't have an I-94 as Canadians can enter the US for up to 6 months without a visa.

The different forms are for different situations. The I-129F can be used both for a fiance visa, and for married people.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 4:59 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

incu,

My US fiance is going to be filing for the I-129F form at the end of the year...can I be there with him when he applys?
If you happen to be with your fiance at the time that he wishes to file his I-129f petition, your presence will not prevent him from doing so.

DS-156 is the generic non-immigrant visa application form, DS-156K is supplemental to DS-156 specificall for K-visa applicants, DS-230 is the generic immigrant visa application form. All of these forms are involved in the application for a K visa.

Regards, JEff
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 5:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My US fiance is going to be filing for the I-129F form at the end of the year...can I be there with him when he applys? And is there anybody out there who has been with there partners in the states at the same time they have applied for there I-129F form? I have seen the form and it asks if the partner is with them and if he/she is then to write down the I-94 number.

Cheers!

Junior member, go to the root post on "FAQ" at the start of this forum under my name.

Take some time to read through it ... it answers these questions and all the others you are sure to come up with and some you probably never thought of.

Then if you have any questions remaining unanswered, or any doubts about what you read, or need emotional support, fire away ;-)

Rete
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 5:56 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ian-mstm
If you are not yet married and in the US on a valid visa, you can remain in the US until the I-129f is approved.
Um, what if approval takes longer than the visitor's allowed stay (90 days for Visa Waiver folk, different times for other visa types)?
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

That is a good point. Is it also true that if my US fiance get's the I-129F form and I'm not with him then at the time of him filing it is it true that I can't travel to see him during that time??

All I want is to be with him, and we haven't even started the damn thing yet!! I'm excited but at the same time worried too as I'm sooo scared of screwing the forms up, or not sending enough proof in or the wrong things!!!

Becca
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 7:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That is a good point. Is it also true that if my US fiance get's the I-129F form and I'm not with him then at the time of him filing it is it true that I can't travel to see him during that time??

All I want is to be with him, and we haven't even started the damn thing yet!! I'm excited but at the same time worried too as I'm sooo scared of screwing the forms up, or not sending enough proof in or the wrong things!!!

Becca

Well now sometimes you can't always have things the way you want it. While there is no law that says you can't visit while the petition is pending, it is difficult to get through the POE if it is known that you have a USC fiancee, even with a petition pending.

You aren't the USC so what are you worrying about at this point in time? There is nothing for you to send anywhere but your G-325, divorce papers if necessary, birth certificate for good measure, a letter of intent and the G-325 is the only form you are required to complete.

You get your chance to F$%^&*() up when it comes to all the documents needed for the UK end of it. So read the FAQ and lessen your chances of messing up.

Rete
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rete,

Here's what I was planning on doing.... being with him in the states, and letting him file.. if it comes to the end of my 90 days and i'm still waiting i'll just go back to the UK find and job and wait there. That shouldn't be too bad.....

The only things I have to send as proof are letters iv'e wrote to him, my phone bills (itemised), flight itinerys, boarding passes, and the stamps in my passports, and photos.... thats all I have, nothing else.

Becca
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 8:11 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rete,

Here's what I was planning on doing.... being with him in the states, and letting him file.. if it comes to the end of my 90 days and i'm still waiting i'll just go back to the UK find and job and wait there. That shouldn't be too bad.....

The only things I have to send as proof are letters iv'e wrote to him, my phone bills (itemised), flight itinerys, boarding passes, and the stamps in my passports, and photos.... thats all I have, nothing else.

Becca

What state does your fiancee reside?, Unless your service center is Vermont.. 90 days won't be enough, sorry!
Hyper~hoping your service center is Vermont!!
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

He's in Ohio, and the service center for us will be Nebraska.... I have heard alot about this but reading the timelines you get both short waits and long waits...
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by meauxna
Um, what if approval takes longer than the visitor's allowed stay (90 days for Visa Waiver folk, different times for other visa types)?
Quite right. I should have said "until the I-129f is approved or your visa expires, whichever comes first." That's what I get for responding here while talking on the phone with my wife.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

So Ian, where are you now...in the states?? How long did it take for you?? Whats your story?

Becca
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 10:46 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

He's in Ohio, and the service center for us will be Nebraska.... I have heard alot about this but reading the timelines you get both short waits and long waits...

A more accurate picture is NOT reading our timelines, but looking at the processing times. What went on a year ago or even six months ago is not what the trend may be now. We breezed through (comparatively speaking) the K3 with less than 2 months approval time, it's now double that. On the other hand they were issuing EADs when we applied for my husband's in half the time it took us......... There is even one immigration attorney's website that has the processing times archived.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 12:12 am
Account Closed

So Ian, where are you now...in the states?? How long did it take for you?? Whats your story?
Sheila and I live in Kentucky - in the beautiful foothills of the Appalachia mountains. Originally from Scotland, I grew up in Toronto, and moved here from Halifax, Nova Scotia over 6 years ago. As one of the few remaining "class of '98" alumni, I take the US oath of allegiance in 2 days!

Ian (and Sheila)
---------------------------------------------------
Timeline:

Mailed I-129F: November 28, 1997
K-1 interview in Montreal: March 27, 1998
Married Sheila: May 23, 1998
Filed for AoS: June 15, 1998
AoS interview: February 20, 2001
Received PR status: March 4, 2001
Applied for Citizenship: December 8, 2003
NoA: Priority date - December 11, 2003
Fingerprinted: January 20, 2004
Citizenship Interview: May 5, 2004 – Passed
Oath Ceremony: June 25, 2004 – and the journey is over!