Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I just go over, marry and stay?

Wikiposts

Can I just go over, marry and stay?

Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:32 am
Just Joined

NickYoung25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I just go over, marry and stay?

If my girlfriend agrees to marry me, can I just go over as a Tourist, Marry her then stay and do the application over there?

What advice would you give me on doing this? Can they find me and send me home? What should I expect?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I just go over, marry and stay?

Originally Posted by NickYoung25
If my girlfriend agrees to marry me, can I just go over as a Tourist, Marry her then stay and do the application over there?

What advice would you give me on doing this? Can they find me and send me home? What should I expect?
Hi Nick,

On another thread in another forum, she was just your friend, not your girlfriend. No, you can't go over as a tourist with the intent to remain in the USA and adjust status. That is illegal.

My advice is to either do a spouse immigrant visa (after you marry her), or start a K-1 fiance visa process now (so you can marry her and then remain in the USA after that).

However, I should mention that on your other thread you talked about whether you can stay after you guys get divorced. Please know that it is illegal to marry a USC for the sole intent of obtaining an immigration benefit.

Yes, you can be discovered for having commited an illegal entry, and fraud.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No ... you cannot.

If you follow through with you plans as you outlined in your total of 3 posts, your US female friend could be fined tens of thousands of dollar and do prison time for marrying you so you can get a green card. You can be banned and barred from ever entering the US ever again.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 12th 2008 at 7:47 am.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:50 am
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

TKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really nice

Assume that you're not really called Nick Young and weren't born in 1982/83.

Cos asking how to get round US immigration laws, stating intent and then attempting to do so wouldn't seem smart...

Never know who's reading.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:51 am
Just Joined

NickYoung25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Nick,

On another thread in another forum, she was just your friend, not your girlfriend. No, you can't go over as a tourist with the intent to remain in the USA and adjust status. That is illegal.

My advice is to either do a spouse immigrant visa (after you marry her), or start a K-1 fiance visa process now (so you can marry her and then remain in the USA after that).

However, I should mention that on your other thread you talked about whether you can stay after you guys get divorced. Please know that it is illegal to marry a USC for the sole intent of obtaining an immigration benefit.

Yes, you can be discovered for having commited an illegal entry, and fraud.

Rene
So go over there, marry her, come back and apply for spouse immigrant visa?
If we're engaged right now I can apply for the fiance visa? What is the process of this and what the chances of not being given it?

Thanks Rene, its difficult. We were dating, and now ive come back we've broken up. We are now just friends so our lives can continue and shes has made a U-Turn as said she will marry me. Did you marry a USC?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If we're engaged right now I can apply for the fiance visa? What is the process of this and what the chances of not being given it?

Thanks Rene, its difficult. We were dating, and now ive come back we've broken up. We are now just friends so our lives can continue and shes has made a U-Turn as said she will marry me. Did you marry a USC?
If you have met at least once in person in the past 2 years, she can file an I-129F to get the ball rolling on your fiance visa. Check the Wiki part of this site for an overview of the K-1 fiance visa. Chances are good of it being issued if you meet the qualifications.

I did not marry a USC, no. I am the USC in the relationship. My alien husband is from Iran. We did the K-1 fiance visa.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:16 am

Here is the link to the overview of the K-1 fiance visa: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

If only it were that easy mate.

But then we'd all be doing it, instead of having to jump through hoops for USCIS and the IRS.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:23 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

So, you're NOT engaged or even dating this woman at the moment. Therefore, marrying her and then applying for a spousal visa is no less an attempt to circumvent immigration law than your original idea to enter the US on the VWP with the intent marry and adjust status. You'd still only be marrying her solely for immigration purposes.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Shana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to all

Don't marry someone you don't love and intend to spend the rest of your life with. While USCIS law says it can't adjudicate based on whether or not it seems as though a marriage will last, it can and does adjudicate based on whether or not the marriage was bona fide, i.e., entered into for love and the intent to build a life together, not to circumvent immigration laws. Sure, you hear stories of people who did this and didn't have a problem getting a Green Card, but it's still wrong and most IOs are very good at spotting people who don't intend to make a life together. You would probably get through the initial paperwork okay, but not the interview. Even if you wouldn't be sent home and your friend/wife fined or sent to prison, you would probably be denied. IOs have wide discretion in approving or denying cases. It's not worth the risk and in any case, it's illegal.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:53 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say this really gets my goat when people ask if they can do this (in whatever country)

Do your homework and then jump through the same hoops that we have all had to do at somestage to make that big move.

There`s no easy way, and if you do decide to try and pull the wool over someones eyes I hope you get caught.

People like you think that the world owes them a favour - well it doesn`t so get off your fat ass and work towards it the right way - if you can be bothered. :curse:
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:05 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I have to say this really gets my goat when people ask if they can do this (in whatever country)
Do your homework and then jump through the same hoops that we have all had to do at somestage to make that big move.
There`s no easy way, and if you do decide to try and pull the wool over someones eyes I hope you get caught.
People like you think that the world owes them a favour - well it doesn`t so get off your fat ass and work towards it the right way - if you can be bothered. :curse:
I bet you vote Republican.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Shana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to allShana131 is a name known to all

I know my husband and I had to jump through a lot of hoops and will jump through more if the USCIS requires us to do so. They say, "jump," and we do.

My husband did not accept any unauthorized employment, however had he done so, and filed taxes, and if the USCIS would have accepted unauthorized employment, we wouldn't have had to get a Joint Sponsor. But he didn't accept unauthorized employment and we had to jump through quite a few hoops. Still, can't complain. We haven't had the trouble some people have had by half. I just hope things continue to go well for us.

I'm all for following the letter of the law. In the long run, it makes it easier for all of us and none of us should be penalized for doing it the legal way. That's why I'm all for the USCIS not being forgiving regarding the use of unauthorized employment. It's not that I'm a mean person. I'm not. But I hate to see law abiding people penalized.

I have always voted Democrat and probably always will.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:13 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
I bet you vote Republican.
Not gonna comment about politics I don`t know enough about it

Am an expat in Canada (just saw the title of the thread and it made my blood boil)

Sorry to crash your forum everyone
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Not gonna comment about politics I don`t know enough about it

Am an expat in Canada (just saw the title of the thread and it made my blood boil)

Sorry to crash your forum everyone
Oi! Bring butter tarts next time you crash in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.