Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help with I-751 form? (removal of conditional residency)

Wikiposts

Can anyone help with I-751 form? (removal of conditional residency)

Old May 8th 2002, 3:10 am
James Morton

Default Can anyone help with I-751 form? (removal of conditional residency)

Hi,

Quick question...we're coming up to our two year mark of getting conditional
residency, and need to send in our I-751 (almost forgot!!). This says it needs two
affidavits from people who know us...does that mean we need to get the statements
notorized? And how much detail should we ask them to go into?

Any help very much appreciated!!!

Thanks, James

Old May 8th 2002, 3:10 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: Can anyone help with I-751 form? (removal of conditional residency)

http://www.k1faq.com/#7.8.1

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "James Morton"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Quick question...we're coming up to our two year mark of getting conditional
    > residency, and need to send in our I-751 (almost forgot!!). This says it needs two
    > affidavits from people who know us...does that mean we need to get the statements
    > notorized? And how much detail should we ask them to go into?
    >
    > Any help very much appreciated!!!
    >
    > Thanks, James

Old May 8th 2002, 3:40 am
Ranjini

The FAQ states that the affidavits do not need to be notarized. But the instructions
on the I-751 form states "sworn to or affirmed by at least two people...." etc. which
I and many others on the forum have interpreted to mean notarized. This has been
debated over and over again on this forum and there appear to be two schools of
thought on this. My opinion? Have them notarized. You have nothing to lose. Notaries
can be found very easily at many banks, maybe even your own bank. And, I believe,
other institutions. Just give them a call and ask. Ranjini

"Andy Platt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > http://www.k1faq.com/#7.8.1
    >
    > Andy.
    >
    > --
    > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "James Morton"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Quick question...we're coming up to our two year mark of getting conditional
    > > residency, and need to send in our I-751 (almost forgot!!). This says it needs
    > > two affidavits from people who know us...does that mean we need to get the
    > > statements notorized? And how much detail should we ask them to go into?
    > >
    > > Any help very much appreciated!!!
    > >
    > > Thanks, James

Old May 8th 2002, 4:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by James Morton
Hi,

Quick question...we're coming up to our two year mark of getting conditional
residency, and need to send in our I-751 (almost forgot!!). This says it needs two
affidavits from people who know us...does that mean we need to get the statements
notorized? And how much detail should we ask them to go into?

Any help very much appreciated!!!

Thanks, James
Hi James

We are mailing out our I-751 on the 18th. Used a format very much like that given by the FAQ link that Andy gave you. Just provided the writers with the INS address for the letter and a sample letter and told them to have fun with it. We have 4 letters. One is a joint letter from my sister and husband (they share a house so it was easier this way), my sister-in-law in Canada, my daughter and my best friend. Since the instructions specify that they must know of our marriage after the time of approval of the AOS, we only asked them to be specific in giving occasion(s) that occurred after that date. Didn't ask anyone to do sappy stuff like wax poetic about our being soulmates or happily married or deeply in love, etc. ;-) Did tell my daughter to be 100% truthful and if she wants to tell INS about my complaints about my husband to feel free. Heck we're human, we fight ;-)

As for "swearing or affirming" that is up to interpretation. A notary is not attesting to the facts contained in the letter but attesting to knowledge that you proved your identity to be the one that signed the letter. It can't hurt to have it notarized and unless it is truly inconvenient for the writer to do so, I would suggest they have it notarized. You can usually find one in the bank, a real estate office, even some private drug stores have notaries. Also can find them in the yellow pages.

As a side note, they do not have US notaries in Canada and my sister-in-law wrote one for us and she had it done by the Canadian equivalent.

Rete

PS Good Luck and remember to get us apprised of your timeline and results
Old May 8th 2002, 6:40 am
Mark K.

I just file an I-751 form for my wife on 05/07. Her green card expires on 07/25/02
and we had to file within 3 months immediatelly preceeding the expiration date. I
notarized all the letters from my friend and relatives. I spoke to the INS Customer
Service about it and they told me to just follow the instructions to the form I-751.

[email protected] (James Morton) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > residency, and need to send in our I-751 (almost forgot!!). This says it needs two
    > affidavits from people who know us...does that mean we need to get the statements
    >
    >
    > Thanks, James

Old May 8th 2002, 7:20 am
Michael Voight

I was told by INS that "sworn" "notarized"

James Morton wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks, James

Old May 8th 2002, 7:20 am
Ranjini

You have that absolutely right Mark. Follow the instructions on the I-751
form. Ranjini

"Mark K." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I just file an I-751 form for my wife on 05/07. Her green card expires on 07/25/02
    > and we had to file within 3 months immediatelly preceeding the expiration date. I
    > notarized all the letters from my friend and relatives. I spoke to the INS
    > Customer Service about it and they told me to just follow the instructions to the
    > form I-751.
    >
    > [email protected] (James Morton) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Quick question...we're coming up to our two year mark of getting conditional
    > > residency, and need to send in our I-751 (almost forgot!!). This says it needs
    > > two affidavits from people who know us...does that mean we need to get the
    > > statements notorized? And how much detail should we ask them to go into?
    > >
    > > Any help very much appreciated!!!
    > >
    > > Thanks, James

Old May 8th 2002, 7:25 am
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

If we submitted notarized affadavits with both the k-1 *and* the intitial AOS at the interview (husband now has 2 year conditional GC), is the INS gonna ask for yet more gain in 1-3/4 years when we apply to get the conditions removed?
Yikes- we're gonna run outta people to ask! ;-)
Is that a standard request in getting conditions removed?
Old May 8th 2002, 7:44 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

MB

Recyle the old ones ;-) Why did you include them for the K-1 and the AOS? They were not a requirement but an "if you wish to" item. Ask us here ... we know you are married married ;-)

Rita
Old May 8th 2002, 8:18 am
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

We included them with the k-1 because we only had phone cards not phone bills- just as additional proof. Included at the AOS also as additional proof. I suppose when the time comes we can send copies with a note attached "original notarized copies on file with the INS" or somesuch.