Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can anyone advise me on a GPS?

Wikiposts

Can anyone advise me on a GPS?

Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:06 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone advise me on a GPS?

I bought a Garmin c340 off eBay today, so now I'm all set once I have money to go somewhere. LOL
Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:22 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
I bought a Garmin c340 off eBay today, so now I'm all set once I have money to go somewhere. LOL
Its brilliant you'll love it.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 2:05 pm

My Garmin c340 arrived today and it was able to get me to the gas station and back home. Will see if it can get me to work tomorrow. If not I guess I can always call in for leave and say I can't come in because I'm lost. LOL

From the little bit I have played with the unit I'm glad that I bought a unit that announces the street name and the direction to turn.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 2:17 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
My Garmin c340 arrived today and it was able to get me to the gas station and back home. Will see if it can get me to work tomorrow. If not I guess I can always call in for leave and say I can't come in because I'm lost. LOL

From the little bit I have played with the unit I'm glad that I bought a unit that announces the street name and the direction to turn.
Yes I love that to, can't believe some don't announce the street name, it has also helped me with knowing what the street names are called around me

Remember that you have 2 different options to go the faster or shorter route and you can under avoidances put in avoid highway (if you know the traffic is awful in the rush hour etc)
And something which I didn't notice till recently if you hit the top of screen it will give you all the upcoming turns etc it will take you, so you can see what route it will be taking you.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:42 pm

If anyone has recently bought a Garmin GPS unit and it doesn't have the 2008
City Navigator North America NT map installed, you might want to call Garmin and ask that it be given to you free.

I just bought a refurbished c340 and it had the previous version map installed and I learned on this Website:

http://www.poi-factory.com/

that the 2008 City Navigator North America NT just came out and Garmin had provided it free to some people. I called a couple weeks ago and had to fax them a copy of my purchase order and the unit serial number. I received the map update disc in the mail yesterday. It's $69.00 if you buy it.

1-800-800-1020 Garmin

Plus make that you first register the unit on the Garmin Website before calling.

https://www8.garmin.com/registration/selectreg.jsp
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
I'm looking to get a GPS unit for my husband for Christmas....

I'm trying to decide between:

Harman Kardon 300: http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-.../dp/B000QSF2FY

and

Garmin Nuvi 350: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Vehicle...2798809&sr=1-1

I personally have the Garmin 330 and I love it, but my husband would like one with the coordinates etc The Garmin above is about $100 more, but I want to get him one that will last and is really good.

Does anyone have any thoughts or even other suggestions?

Thanks so very much!
I recently bought the Garmin 370 - which is superb and it comes with US and Europe maps loaded which works out cheaper - used it in the UK and so far nothing but praise - a friend had a tom tom but he was less than impressed by the maps.

Got mine off amazon - best price and no tax - awesome!!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:56 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently replaced an older Garmin StreetPilot 2620 with the newer Garmin C580
I expected every feature available on the old unit to be available on the new one - but it wasn't. Ask your husband what features are most important to him.

New features I like:
The unit acts as a handsfree device for my cell phone, you can access the address book through the touch screen, make and receive calls etc.
It has live traffic data - great for avoiding traffic jams
It has spoken street names - my old unit would say "turn left in 200 yards", the new unit will say "turn left on to Main Street in 200 yards" (it means you don't need to take your eyes off the road, and also avoids confusion at intersections with many lanes).
This unit is half the size of my old one.
This unit also works on battery power so it can be used on foot too.

Features I miss:
The old unit allowed me to find an address by street name and zip, the new unit does not support zip codes. (sometimes an address will be listed as being in a certain town, but the GPS has it listed as a neighboring town - finding by ZIP negates the need to second guess the unit, and spell the town correctly - also entering a 5 digit zip is a lot quicker than spelling a long town name).

features I liked about them both:
they contain the full maps of Northern America. If your husband travels a lot then its nice to not have to keep reloading different maps for each state.

features I found unnecessary on the new unit:
MP3 player - I have never used it

features missing from both:
Auto sort multiple destinations (provides most direct route)- enter multiple addresses and have the unit work out the best route to visit them all - if you have multiple appointments this can save a lot of time on the road

Compile a list of all the 'must haves' and buy based on that. All units are not alike

and

I personally have the Garmin 330 and I love it, but my husband would like one with the coordinates etc The Garmin above is about $100 more, but I want to get him one that will last and is really good.

Thanks so very much!

Last edited by Pony; Aug 2nd 2007 at 4:01 am.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:40 pm
This space for rent

freezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I think I mentioned in another thread the the English voice sounds somewhat like Michael Kane in Zulu. Instead of him saying "In 100 yards, take the motorway" I keep waiting for it to say "At 100 yards, volley fire, present!"
"and dont point that bloody spear at me"
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Can anyone advise me on a GPS?

I have just bought a Tom Tom GO910. It has Europe loaded in there, as well as North America.

The Model has just been discontinued. Last year it was on sale at Walmart for $688......I got it at Radio Shack for $380.

As an OTR Coach Driver, it has proven its worth on more than one occasion so far, in the past week or so.

Looking forward to trying it out in Blighty, in a month or so

Jim.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
I recently replaced an older Garmin StreetPilot 2620 with the newer Garmin C580
I expected every feature available on the old unit to be available on the new one - but it wasn't. Ask your husband what features are most important to him.

New features I like:
The unit acts as a handsfree device for my cell phone, you can access the address book through the touch screen, make and receive calls etc.
It has live traffic data - great for avoiding traffic jams
It has spoken street names - my old unit would say "turn left in 200 yards", the new unit will say "turn left on to Main Street in 200 yards" (it means you don't need to take your eyes off the road, and also avoids confusion at intersections with many lanes).
This unit is half the size of my old one.
This unit also works on battery power so it can be used on foot too.

Features I miss:
The old unit allowed me to find an address by street name and zip, the new unit does not support zip codes. (sometimes an address will be listed as being in a certain town, but the GPS has it listed as a neighboring town - finding by ZIP negates the need to second guess the unit, and spell the town correctly - also entering a 5 digit zip is a lot quicker than spelling a long town name).

features I liked about them both:
they contain the full maps of Northern America. If your husband travels a lot then its nice to not have to keep reloading different maps for each state.

features I found unnecessary on the new unit:
MP3 player - I have never used it

features missing from both:
Auto sort multiple destinations (provides most direct route)- enter multiple addresses and have the unit work out the best route to visit them all - if you have multiple appointments this can save a lot of time on the road

Compile a list of all the 'must haves' and buy based on that. All units are not alike
Works great with mobile phones
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:07 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

My brother in law had about a dozen $1100 Magellan GPS units for his workers at his business. He ended up trading the whole lot in for $300 Garmin units, which were tougher, more reliable and did a better job.

With GPS, you don't always get what you pay for.

We have a Magellan and it's sometimes a bit wonky. Other times, it won't get satellite feed for 15 mins at a time. On another occasion, it didn't recognize roads we were on or was about thirty metres 'behind' us on screen (so it would tell us to turn after we'd gone past the junction.)

Plus it keeps falling off the windscreen and breaks really easily.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:33 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

I have a Garmin too and love it. We got a custom vent mount (to avoid it becoming a missile in the event an idiot crashing into us) which works well and is discreet.

I also have Daniel the Brit as the voice. Apart from the occassional fluff ie arrive stop n Shop becomes arrive Stop North Shop or arrive H T S instead of Heights, he is perfect. Bless him.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
I have just bought a Tom Tom GO910. It has Europe loaded in there, as well as North America.

The Model has just been discontinued. Last year it was on sale at Walmart for $688......I got it at Radio Shack for $380.

As an OTR Coach Driver, it has proven its worth on more than one occasion so far, in the past week or so.

Looking forward to trying it out in Blighty, in a month or so

Jim.
Took mine back home a few weeks ago mate and it worked a charm....as an added bonus it also warns you a couple of hundred feet in advance of speed cameras..I ****ing loved that little feature. If I had one criticism..the docking system was designed by a complete idiot.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

and

Thanks so very much!

mine is the garmin 350 and i'm very pleased with it, no probs.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Can anyone advise me on a GPS?

Originally Posted by Rushman
....as an added bonus it also warns you a couple of hundred feet in advance of speed cameras..I ****ing loved that little feature.
I suppose that you could do with that feature working over here, too

Jim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.