Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can anyone advise me on a GPS?

Wikiposts

Can anyone advise me on a GPS?

Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone advise me on a GPS?

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I think I mentioned in another thread the the English voice sounds somewhat like Michael Kane in Zulu. Instead of him saying "In 100 yards, take the motorway" I keep waiting for it to say "At 100 yards, volley fire, present!"
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:54 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I think I mentioned in another thread the the English voice sounds somewhat like Michael Kane in Zulu. Instead of him saying "In 100 yards, take the motorway" I keep waiting for it to say "At 100 yards, volley fire, present!"
Don't you have Daniel, or English Emily, there are about 4 I think.....English voices I could choose. I like Daniel as I can hear him above the radio, he's the most clear and concise, telling you the road name.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:56 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1csr0dxalpI

For those who have never seen the last five minutes of Zulu (shame on you)--that's the clip.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:10 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1csr0dxalpI

For those who have never seen the last five minutes of Zulu (shame on you)--that's the clip.
You think Michael Caine in Zulu sounds like Daniel?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
You think Michael Caine in Zulu sounds like Daniel?
You cant knock Mr Caine. whether he sounds like Daniel or not!!!!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Adnams
You cant knock Mr Caine. whether he sounds like Daniel or not!!!!
Well I prefer a nice Scottish voice myself, Caine doesn't do it for me
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I prefer a nice Scottish voice myself, Caine doesn't do it for me
Oooooh yes, Mr S. Connery, that works everytime Shame no voice on tom-tom approximates it but mind you I'd never get out of the drive if it did..............................
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:22 pm

Oooooh yes, Mr S. Connery, that works everytime Shame no voice on tom-tom approximates it but mind you I'd never get out of the drive if it did..............................
no voice on tom-tom, how does it work?

notice your new avatar
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

notice your new avatar
LOl! Thanks everyone!

I'm leaning towards the Garmin as my husband bought me that brand and really likes it the best, so I figured thats what I should get him too! I LOVE mine, its really given me the confidence to get up and go anywhere I want.

So I'm thinking the Garmin Nuvi 350. www.pcnation.com seems the cheapest right now...
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
I'm looking to get a GPS unit for my husband for Christmas....

I'm trying to decide between:

Harman Kardon 300: http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-.../dp/B000QSF2FY

and

Garmin Nuvi 350: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Vehicle...2798809&sr=1-1

I personally have the Garmin 330 and I love it, but my husband would like one with the coordinates etc The Garmin above is about $100 more, but I want to get him one that will last and is really good.

Does anyone have any thoughts or even other suggestions?

Thanks so very much!
I have the Tom Tom...510 I think. Not entirely sure. I got it for my wife who gets lost turning out of the garage (literally). I'm the kind of guy who has USGS maps and a compass and gets annoyed with the 'offset' they throw in the GPS because it is not accurate enough, so I don't really use the device much myself.

It is in her car and pretty easy to use. It has a multitude of languages (60+) so my wife can listen to it in her home dialect which helps (When she is driving she doesn't concentrate as much on my directions so I get tired of saying 'your other left' when telling her to turn right).

Tom Toms have a lot of features you can download, but I haven't really got into all of that. Phone runs through the device as well so it doubles as a handsfree. Has all the cool coordinate details / sat numbers, etc. as well

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-910-Por...2801824&sr=1-3
My OH calls our Tom-Tom "Satnavigista".
He may poo-poo it but even though its a fascist I really rather like the fact that I havent got horrendously lost in over a year. Well only slightly horrendously lost.
I made the mistake of buying a TOM TOM. Its been back twice because the on/off power button thingy has a fault and the thing freezes completely (apparently its been reported on a few sites that this is a common problem). The actual docking connections were designed by a complete ****ing moron and could easily have been designed to dock much easier and better by a 10 year old.

Other than that...is OK. Cost a fortune and I've used it twice.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 3:13 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I made the mistake of buying a TOM TOM. Its been back twice because the on/off power button thingy has a fault and the thing freezes completely (apparently its been reported on a few sites that this is a common problem). The actual docking connections were designed by a complete ****ing moron and could easily have been designed to dock much easier and better by a 10 year old.

... and it's my bet that designer was a man. What do men know about directions anyway?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
... and it's my bet that designer was a man. What do men know about directions anyway?
Just because your old man hasnt found your G spot yet doesn't mean you should be tarring us all with the same brush.

It was designed by the Dutch I believe.....wish I'd known that before I parted with hard earned...I mean......the also designed the Daf variomatic FFS
Old Jun 25th 2007, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rushman

Oh God yes!! I keep a paperclip in the car to reset it.

I have mine set on "Jane" I think, anyway she sounds like Lara Croft.

At least I know I can get home, but it does a few erratic things.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:20 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

picked up a really nice Magellan 360 unit end of last year. Gets loads of use due to the job. Turn by turn with a nice 'proper' English accent Mind you though I got lucky, paid $100 for it from Target as they were offloading them to replace with the newer version (should have been $400)
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

notice your new avatar
I was joking I wish mine had Sean Connery but alas alack it doesnt...
Yep baked beans cant beat 'em and not those sugary US versions, yuk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.