Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

came in US with fiance visa and failed to marry him- FR. ms. confused

Wikiposts

came in US with fiance visa and failed to marry him- FR. ms. confused

Old Dec 16th 2002, 1:32 am
Margaret

Default Re: came in US with fiance visa and failed to marry him- FR. ms.confused

Just a question out of curiosity. When arriving in the U.S. on a K1,
the two parties do not marry and go their separate ways, how does the
K1er support him/herself? Actually a question asked by my husband.

Old Dec 16th 2002, 1:47 am
Ronald Austin

Default Re: came in US with fiance visa and failed to marry him- FR. ms.confused

If the K-1 fiancé doesn't marry the USC, s/he has to be out of the country
90 days from the date of entry. That's the legal answer.

"Margaret" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Just a question out of curiosity. When arriving in the U.S. on a K1,
    > the two parties do not marry and go their separate ways, how does the
    > K1er support him/herself? Actually a question asked by my husband.

Old Dec 16th 2002, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Steve:

Shut up, you are really annoying.
Old Dec 16th 2002, 2:31 am
Margaret

Default Re: came in US with fiance visa and failed to marry him- FR. ms.confused./FRAUD FRAUD

I've been reading thru the threads on this particular subject. If I
had been a woman coming to the U.S. on a K1, discovered that my fiance
was not the one I wanted to be with for whatever reason, my first plan
of action would be to jump back on the plane and get back to my own
country. Perhaps in this case this woman had/has relatives already
living in the U.S. to help her out, so she decided to stay. I just
know in my case coming to another country with next to nothing in my
pocket, not being able to work and not knowing anyone, I wouldn't be
staying. Just my opinion.

Old Dec 16th 2002, 7:34 am
Margaret

Just going back to the original poster, I wondered how she managed to
survive by overstaying. A curious person here. Then again I imagine
you could do it if you were that desperate.

"Ronald Austin" wrote in message news:...
    > If the K-1 fiancé doesn't marry the USC, s/he has to be out of the country
    > 90 days from the date of entry. That's the legal answer.
    >
    >
    > "Margaret" wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Just a question out of curiosity. When arriving in the U.S. on a K1,
    > > the two parties do not marry and go their separate ways, how does the
    > > K1er support him/herself? Actually a question asked by my husband.
    > >

Old Dec 16th 2002, 8:57 am
Mrtravel

Steve wrote:
For every 'nice' woman who gets and unpleasant surprise
    > (I know of one myself), there are 50 others who come here for
    > opportunity, however they can get it.

So, since this is your second go around, I assume the odds are stacked
heavily against you, huh??

Why don't you find somewhere else to play??

Old Dec 16th 2002, 8:58 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: came in US with fiance visa and failed to marry him- FR. ms.

bobzy wrote:
    >
    > Originally posted by Steve
    > For every 'nice' woman who gets and unpleasant surprise (I know of one
    > myself), there are 50 others who come here for opportunity, however they
    > can get it. Yikes! I can hardly believe that I just
    > read this on a fiance/marriage immigration forum!
    >

Bobzy, watch the way you post. This showed up running on like you posted
the entire message instead of the part starting with "Yikes"

Old Dec 16th 2002, 9:01 am
Mrtravel

Steve wrote:
    >
    > By the way, I might be new here, but I went thru this K-1 process 9
    > years ago. I was married to a Russian woman for 8 years. So I have
    > some experience.

Yep, and nothing has changed in the past 8 years????

Old Dec 16th 2002, 9:37 am
Steve

big words from probably a little man

DCMark wrote:
    > Steve:
    >
    > Shut up, you are really annoying.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Dec 16th 2002, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

bobzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mrtravel
Bobzy, watch the way you post. This showed up running on like you postedthe entire message instead of the part starting with "Yikes"
<a few spaces added for extra comfort>

</done adding many spaces on the html board to see if it leaves a separation on usenet postings>

Thanks for the feedback Mrtravel -- posting on the web-based forum does apparently cause something to get discombobulated when it goes back to usenet format. Apologies for making my own self look like the troll.

Answer to Margaret:

Thanks for showing concern for people who have broken immigration laws without breaking moral laws.

I don't know how a nice, good, religious girl is supposed to survive when she has absolutely no place to go on the face of an earth that is controlled by men in most cultures. This is why I am so worried about the woman that I met on the Internet a few years ago.

Her husband in the Philippines had gamble/drunk away everything by the time he died. She came from a place where women don't have opportunities -- they are supposed to get married, stay barefoot, and have babies. She was in her early thirties and had two children and no money -- who is going to marry her in that culture and how is she supposed to work if there are no jobs for women?

She left two small children with her siste, and went to another country to work. The culture of the country in which she worked did not leave a modest Catholic girl with much of a future -- but at least it gave her a visa and a job. Every day on her walk home from work, men would offer to pay her for certain disgusting services, and she also would occasionally get such offers even at work. She lived in a rented bedroom with nothing but her clothes and a computer. It was a disgusting way to live for ten years, but at least it allowed her to send money to her sister to care for the two kids. The job also allowerd her to visit her children every two years --but it became evident that her sister's interest was only in getting the money, not in helping someone who was only coincidentally a family member. Returning to that place, with no hopes of a job or of finding a husband to support her, was out of the question. By now her kids didn't accept her to be their mom.

So back in 1999 she was on the Internet dating sites in the hopes of meeting a nice guy in another country -- basically, her only way out of a bad situation --and I was only looking for friends at the time with absolutely no interest in any relationships with someone who was out of the country. The guy I mentioned from Oklahoma wouldn't seem like such a bad choice on the surface: He was a middle aged man who appeared to have a good job (actually, I think he was the owner), he appeared to own a nice house, and he was in the very last stages of a divorce when she first met him.

She quit the contract that she had with the foreign company and came to the US when she got her visa. The only things that she owned were her clothes and a computer, the latter being left behind. The nice guyin Oklahoma turned out to have a rough side that wasn't apparent on phone and Internet conversation.

If all she wanted was immigration, she could have married this pig who had played a really good game to bring over an attractive Asian woman to be a sex toy. Apparently, she took the uncertain future over a known hell.

I don't know where she had gone to take shelter -- she has no relatives in the US -- I don't know who owned the email account that she used to contact me, I don't know who might have seen the messages that I sent to her after she wrote back to say that something had gone terribly wrong. She just said that she didn't know what to do, that she didn't know where to go, that she had left the Oklahoma guy, that going to her sister in Philippines wasn't a viable option, and that returning to her job in the other country would now be completely impossible.

I don't know where on Earth she could have gone to try to put her life back together. This thread brings me the deepest of pain as I wonder where she might have gone and what might have happened to her.
Old Dec 16th 2002, 1:52 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Steve
I'm sort of new, but are you an immigration attorney? I've had many
attorneys tell me that once you overstay a K-1, you are on the INS
blacklist. I'm only repeating what experts in the field have told me.
Are you an expert or have personal knowledge otherwise?

Hi Steve,
I've not heard of any sort of "blacklist", however as with all cases, the Consulate is going to take a look at a visa applicant to see if he or she meets the eligibility requirements.

I've had a few cases before (not many, but I think 2 or 3) where the international fiancée decided not to marry the U.S. petitioner (these were cases where I was not the attorney for the couple during this first case… and its not always going to be the international fiancée that will be the one to change his or her mind; a petitioner could always decided not to marry the international fiancée), departed, fell in love again, and then the petitioner came to me to help them successfully obtain a fiancée visa.

I can certainly see someone changing his or her mind after entering the U.S. Some couples really don't get that much "face" time before the international fiancée comes to the U.S., and I'm sure some international fiancée’s simply decide that they don't want to move away from their homeland. And again, I’m sure there are some petitioner’s who change their mind too.

Regards,
Matthew Udall
Attorney
http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/fiancee.htm
Old Dec 21st 2002, 10:04 am
A.S.

anonymous82 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not think we should condemn anyone, come on, we are all human, and in that case being known, none of us here are perfect bottom line. Yes people change their minds, especially when you tihnk to expect one thing and then somethg else happens.
Ok here is my problem.. I know someone who had a b-2 visa, well they were under 18 when they came here and it expired after this person turned 18. They are now 20 and do not know what to do,they still live in the USA and they want to stay, they are working for a family business so they are making enough money to support themselves. They are also wanting to get married to a person who was born in the USA, they are scared to leave for they do not know if they can come back. They love it here, but are unsure what to do.. Do you have any info that I can give to this person and their fiance a US citizen. This person wants to also go to college here.
They have called lawyers, and the lawyers said that they need to get married and then wait. They said that this is not a reason to get married soon. They love eachother more then anything, but want to wait to marry until they are older, at least by 2 or 3 years. If you have any info for them please let me know. Is it possible they can wait to get married, and then after they get married to apply for a change of status.. can this person get in trouble for overstaying and then get deported even after they marry?
Does anyone have any advice they can give me about this? Should he try to apply for a visa before he turns 21? I know if he waits until after he is 21 he could get into more trouble. If you have any thoughts or idea's please let me know. Thank you~
Old Dec 21st 2002, 12:05 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: came in US with fiance visa and failed to marry him- FR. ms. confused

"anonymous82" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...>
    > I do not think we should condemn anyone, come on, we are all human, and
    > in that case being known, none of us here are perfect bottom line. Yes
    > people change their minds, especially when you tihnk to expect one thing
    > and then somethg else happens.
    > Ok here is my problem.. I know someone who had a b-2 visa, well they
    > were under 18 when they came here and it expired after this person
    > turned 18. They are now 20 and do not know what to do,

Overstays are forgiven to age 18.
Since his overstay is over 1 year past age 18, he is subject to a 10 year
ban
If he gets married to a US citizen, he might be able to adjust status.
Then again, he might not. Each case is different.
I don't know what the attorneys meant by "get married and wait"
Did they say "get married, file I-485/I-130, and wait"?

If he gets married and files AOS, then he can stay until the outcome of the
adjustment has been decided.
Reasons for denial:

fraud in obtaining the visa, or at the point of entry
criminal history
spouse can not provide support
INS bad hair day
etc

Old Dec 28th 2002, 5:33 am
A.S.

anonymous82 is an unknown quantity at this point

The laywers said for them to get married fill out paper work and then wait to see. They said it will take up to a few years to have him get approved for a green card. Is that correct? What will he be able to do until he gets that? After he files for the paperwork, can he apply for a student visa then, so he can finish school? Will he be able to work at anyplace other then family businesses? Or, do they have to kind of just sit and wait? Should they hire an immigration attorney, money is no problem, and then should they get married? They would really hate to get married and then have him get sent back to his native country.

He came here as a visiter and did not expect to stay here past his visa exp. date. So they could not say it was fraud, could they? I am unsure about criminal history, but because he came here while he was 17, does that make a difference? And income support is no question. They can handle that fine. Would they really give him a denial after they have gotten married? Sorry too many questions, but I am just really interested in knowing. What would you suggest these two people do?

"If he gets married and files AOS, then he can stay
until the outcome of the
adjustment has been decided.
Reasons for denial:

fraud in obtaining the visa, or at the point of entry
criminal history
spouse can not provide support
INS bad hair day
etc"
Old Dec 29th 2002, 8:06 am
Mrtravel

Yes, of course they can deny him if he gets married.
But, why in the world are you hijacking the original thread?
If you want to ask about his case, create a new thread.

As for the OP of the original thread, if you enter on a fiance visa, you
can not adjust status by marrying someone else.