Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

British passport expires few months after entering USA

British passport expires few months after entering USA

Old Sep 11th 2020, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Blanca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British passport expires few months after entering USA

I am planning ahead and just noticed that my passport will have less than 6 months left depending when excatly I enter the US. But looking at other people's timelines I am thinking our interview will not be sooner than January - February 2021 and from the medical a few more months before I enter the US (to sell our house here etc) which will mean I will probably enter around May-June 2021 and which will mean than I will have to apply for a new UK passport in September 2021. How is that going to affect the green card (or the stamp in my passport the I-551)? Am I gonna have to ask for a new I-551 stamp in new passport? (If the green card won't be mailed in time?) Please advise

Last edited by Blanca; Sep 11th 2020 at 9:12 am.
Old Sep 11th 2020, 11:22 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport expires few months after entering USA

It's not going to affect it at all. The only problem I can see if you having to send the expiring passport back with the application and therefore not having it to show if asked. I would take a copy of the visa page with the endorsement stamp before you send it to be replaced.

Hopefully you will have your GC by then, but if not, that will at least cover you.

You will receive the old passport back, so can therefore show it if needed, no new visa foil or stamp required for the new passport.
Old Sep 11th 2020, 11:24 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

You have the option of renewing your passport early and therefore avoiding the worries you mention.
Old Sep 11th 2020, 2:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Renew now and give yourself one less thing to worry about.
Old Sep 11th 2020, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Blanca is an unknown quantity at this point

I had no idea you could renew your passport 1 year earlier?🤔 how would that affect our cr/ir1 visa application if I renew now? Its documentarily qualified now so would I have to upload the new passport scan again and do new ds260? Would I have to upload the new document to nvc? Wouldn't such change affect the application? (DS260) Would I just have to take the new paspsort with me to the interview? Sorry for so many questions in one post but I am confused and don't know what to do now 😕
Old Sep 12th 2020, 12:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just take the new passport to the interview. No need to notify anyone or upload anything.

Rene
Old Sep 15th 2020, 11:02 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blanca
I had no idea you could renew your passport 1 year earlier?🤔 how would that affect our cr/ir1 visa application if I renew now? Its documentarily qualified now so would I have to upload the new passport scan again and do new ds260? Would I have to upload the new document to nvc? Wouldn't such change affect the application? (DS260) Would I just have to take the new paspsort with me to the interview? Sorry for so many questions in one post but I am confused and don't know what to do now 😕
you can renew it anytime, e.g. if you have used all the pages up after 2 years you could renew. They add up to 9 months of the remaining validity to the new one. I had an issue with this when they started the ESTA program in the US because the website would not accept validity of more than 10 years... I had 10 years 9 months... (they updated the website for me in a couple of days). I specially got a second UK passport when I was going for my L1-a visa stamping so it would be valid for 10 years and so I could continue to travel on my first UK passport while the US embassy had my new UK passport.

I think they are the new blue [Black] ones now in the UK, I renewed early enough last year to get a burgundy one (will be less likely to mix up with US one).

Last edited by tht; Sep 15th 2020 at 11:21 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

I believe they no longer add in up to 9 months, you get a new passport that's good for 10 years.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...er-than-expec/
Old Sep 16th 2020, 3:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkeller
I believe they no longer add in up to 9 months, you get a new passport that's good for 10 years.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...er-than-expec/
Yep. My husband needed to get a visa for India and needed 6 months validity on his UK passport. The passport still had 5 months validity on it but his new one didn't take that into account, as you say it was just for a straight 10 years.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 3:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Yep. My husband needed to get a visa for India and needed 6 months validity on his UK passport. The passport still had 5 months validity on it but his new one didn't take that into account, as you say it was just for a straight 10 years.

I was thinking along the same lines that the US requires a passport good for at least one year.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 9:28 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Even when they did it it had to have more than a certain amount of time for them to add it on, it maybe have 6 or 9 months+... but as others have said it looks like they stoped, likely to avoid the kind of issues I had... I would have preferd not to revive that “benefit” at the time.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew

“Renew

If your passport has expired, you must renew it before you can travel.

Time left on your old passport will not be added to your new one.”