Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

British guy with pregnant American GF

British guy with pregnant American GF

Old Apr 22nd 2019, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British guy with pregnant American GF

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Not trying to sow doubt and cast aspersions, but can you be certain the baby is hers?
You aren't?
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 11:20 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
You aren't?
Could be an elaborate surrogacy scam
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 12:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Her moving would seem more obvious.
Because the first thing every young woman thinks when she discovers she is pregnant is "now would be a great time to pack up my life and move 3,000+ miles to another country, far away from my mother, family, and friends".

Seriously, Boiler, get a grip!
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 12:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

From a financial perspective, he has a job, he could move to the US just not sure what his job prospects would be.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 12:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

From a financial perspective, he has a job, he could move to the US just not sure what his job prospects would be.
As an experienced mechanical engineer, probably as good or better in the US than in the UK.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 1:05 am
Account Closed

He mentioned the Railway Industry.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 5:02 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

she probably has a job as well, and that likely has medical insurance, quitting that job and moving to a county where she may not have medical insurance (and may not be NHS eligible) does not seem like a prudent course of action. Most private health insurance has a 12 month wait period for prenatal / birth coverage so that would likely not be an option in the UK.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 5:29 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SC16
Hi, I was hoping for some advice.

In a scenario not too dissimilar to what happened to Ross and Rachel in Friends. My long distance girlfriend of 4 years (I live in London, she lives in Maryland) is pregnant and the baby is due in November.
We are both 27 and neither of us can legally live in the other persons country.

Before the news had broke out my plan was to move over to the US for 3 months on a travel visa at the start of June and look for work over in Maryland/Virginia (and propose to her). I have a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and am soon to become a Chartered Engineer and have 4 years experience in the rail industry. I understand it is extremely difficult for a non-US citizen to get a job in America but had hoped that maybe being over in person I could get lucky?

Anyway, I want to be over to support her ASAP and especially want to be over there for the birth of our child.

I don't know what route to take is best: I understand the K-1 fiance visa could get me over quickly but not being able to work and having to financially support a child seems infeasible. The CR-1 option seems like it takes a lot of time and I won't be there for the birth of my child. Quitting my job to look for work seems a huge risk, but the biggest reward.

Conversely, I could move her over to the UK on a marriage visa (I believe it only takes a matter of weeks) until my US visa gets approved? However this scenario does seem costly.

What would everyone's advice be and what do you believe is the best scenario for success for us as a family - the amount of uncertainty is very unnerving!

(PS my younger sister, 26, has a US passport as she was born there but I got told it takes years for a sibling visa to get approved?)

Thanks!
Consider which country the baby is born in. USA is likely best, but not for sure.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 7:05 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
she probably has a job as well, and that likely has medical insurance, quitting that job and moving to a county where she may not have medical insurance (and may not be NHS eligible) does not seem like a prudent course of action. Most private health insurance has a 12 month wait period for prenatal / birth coverage so that would likely not be an option in the UK.
If she arrives on a spouse visa then she will be fully covered by the NHS as soon as she lands.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

SC16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Not trying to sow doubt and cast aspersions, but can you be certain the baby is hers?
Do Americans procreate differently from the rest of us humans?
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 2:57 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SC16
Do Americans procreate differently from the rest of us humans?
I'm pretty sure Octang Frye was hatched.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

Well I have sort of seen this before but Ladies from the far east where the dates of visits and birth have not matched up. Surprise!
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have sort of seen this before but Ladies from the far east where the dates of visits and birth have not matched up. Surprise!
But that doesn't call into question that the baby is hers
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
But that doesn't call into question that the baby is hers
The poor OP must think he's wandered into an asylum!
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm pretty sure Octang Frye was hatched.
I thought he had evolved from something growing in a pond.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.