Reload this Page >

British guy with pregnant American GF

British guy with pregnant American GF

Old Apr 22nd 2019, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

SC16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British guy with pregnant American GF

Hi, I was hoping for some advice.

In a scenario not too dissimilar to what happened to Ross and Rachel in Friends. My long distance girlfriend of 4 years (I live in London, she lives in Maryland) is pregnant and the baby is due in November.
We are both 27 and neither of us can legally live in the other persons country.

Before the news had broke out my plan was to move over to the US for 3 months on a travel visa at the start of June and look for work over in Maryland/Virginia (and propose to her). I have a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and am soon to become a Chartered Engineer and have 4 years experience in the rail industry. I understand it is extremely difficult for a non-US citizen to get a job in America but had hoped that maybe being over in person I could get lucky?

Anyway, I want to be over to support her ASAP and especially want to be over there for the birth of our child.

I don't know what route to take is best: I understand the K-1 fiance visa could get me over quickly but not being able to work and having to financially support a child seems infeasible. The CR-1 option seems like it takes a lot of time and I won't be there for the birth of my child. Quitting my job to look for work seems a huge risk, but the biggest reward.

Conversely, I could move her over to the UK on a marriage visa (I believe it only takes a matter of weeks) until my US visa gets approved? However this scenario does seem costly.

What would everyone's advice be and what do you believe is the best scenario for success for us as a family - the amount of uncertainty is very unnerving!

(PS my younger sister, 26, has a US passport as she was born there but I got told it takes years for a sibling visa to get approved?)

Thanks!
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 3:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British guy with pregnant American GF

Take the pregnancy/ birth matter out of the equation - you aren't go to be in the US on any sort of marriage/ fiancé visa by November anyway. If you want to be there for the birth, plan to be there as a visitor, nothing more.

I presume that income and earnings are going to be paramount, therefore I would recommend marrying ASAP, making a trip to the US soon for that purpose if necessary, then filing ASAP for a CR-1. You will be able to work in the UK up until your visa is approved and from the moment you clear immigration in the US once you arrive on your CR-1. It might not be an "ideal" solution, but there is no perfect solution in the situation you have created for yourselves.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Take the pregnancy/ birth matter out of the equation - you aren't go to be in the US on any sort of marriage/ fiancé visa by November anyway. If you want to be there for the birth, plan to be there as a visitor, nothing more.

I presume that income and earnings are going to be paramount, therefore I would recommend marrying ASAP, making a trip to the US soon for that purpose if necessary, then filing ASAP for a CR-1. You will be able to work in the UK up until your visa is approved and from the moment you clear immigration in the US once you arrive on your CR-1. It might not be an "ideal" solution, but there is no perfect solution in the situation you have created for yourselves.
Thanks for your quick response and helpful advice.

So going over to look for an employer is too unlikely an outcome?
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Wot Pulaski said.
Nothing more.

In a nutshell.

(Employers use t'internet.
Not knocking on doors.
Dressing up in a shirt and tie and giving your resume to the young receptionist will get you laughed at nowhere.
That's so last century.)

However!
You could invest in a virtual address. perhaps give an edge, depending on your visa.

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 22nd 2019 at 3:51 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 3:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SC16
Thanks for your quick response and helpful advice. ….
You're welcome
… So going over to look for an employer is too unlikely an outcome?
Yes, or at least not in the least bit helpful for you, because the only likely visa that would apply would be a H-1B, and the earliest you could apply for one is at the start of April 2020 with a start date of October 2020. That visa category is also usually oversubscribed by 2½-4 times so getting a visa is unlikely even if both you and the job meet the criteria.

BTW With a sponsor resident in the US, you're currently looking at 12-14 months to get a CR-1 from the date of filing.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 22nd 2019 at 3:54 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 3:50 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, if you want to research ways for your girlfriend to move to the UK you'll need to post those questions here https://britishexpats.com/forum/citi...-visas-uk-196/ Very briefly, a marriage visitor visa is valid for a maximum of 6 months and is only intended for people to marry in the UK. Your girlfriend would need to return to the US after her visa expires. A fiance visa is also designed for an engaged couple to marry in the UK, with the difference that after the marriage the non British citizen can immediately apply for a spouse visa without having to leave the UK. Marriage visitor visa fee around ÂŁ95, fiance visa fee around ÂŁ1,500 - same fee again on applying for the spouse visa plus ÂŁ1,000 for the International Health Surcharge.

Unless your girlfriend has a visa that allows her to reside permanently in the UK (ie a spouse visa), she would not be entitled to free NHS treatment.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Ok, thanks again guys.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Big changes for you.

Live in America?
Or the UK?

And being a father.

You handle this right and your life will be gold.

(Where did you obtain your Master's and also your original Degree?)

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 22nd 2019 at 4:08 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Big changes for you.

Live in America?
Or the UK?

And being a father.

You handle this right and your life will be gold.

(Where did you obtain your Master's and also your original Degree?)
Thanks, as you can imagine it is currently a lot to take in but it will end up great.

I got an integrated Masters at Edinburgh Uni (incredible city).
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Excellent! Keep your head screwed on and you'll be fine.
Edinburgh. I worked there for years until I ended up in this California dump. (No decent curries or pints.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 22nd 2019 at 4:34 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
However!
You could invest in a virtual address. perhaps give an edge, depending on your visa.
Or, he could just use his GF's address
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Depending if they want to stay there or move.
Mrs. H. and I have several locations.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Her moving would seem more obvious.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 10:22 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to sow doubt and cast aspersions, but can you be certain the baby is hers?
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Not trying to sow doubt and cast aspersions, but can you be certain the baby is hers?
Easily ascertained by whether anything drops out of her hoo-ha in November, generally accepted that she who gives birth is the mother!

OP: You can still visit while the CR1 is proceeding, no visa required to get married in the US, the norm is just three days between applying for the marriage certificate and getting it signed (ie married). Which means you could pop over very soon, tie the knot and still come back in November for birth, as well as any summer trips you fancy - vacation time and finances permitting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.