Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

British bf planning to move to California with me (USC). Confused!

Wikiposts

British bf planning to move to California with me (USC). Confused!

Old Aug 20th 2018, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Mja1233 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British bf planning to move to California with me (USC). Confused!

My boyfriend and I have been together for about 9 months now. We met online, met in April and he stayed for a month. He’s coming back next month for two weeks, and again in January for a month. I will go back with him to England for two weeks in February, and then the plan is to have him move here for good around April or May.

My boyfriend and I have talked about the process and he has basically told me that he’s going to see if he can find a job that will sponsor him (he is a distiller and plans on finding a distillery to work at until he can own his own, if possible). Our plan B is to get engaged if that doesn’t work out. If we get engaged while he is here, is there any possible way he can stay while the paperwork is getting processed? What’s the best way to go about this?

I apologize if the information is posted here somewhere, I’m just new to all of this and very confused!

Thank you!
Old Aug 20th 2018, 3:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British bf planning to move to California with me (USC). Confused!

Hi and welcome to BE!

It's doubtful he can get a work visa to work in a distillery, but he can certainly apply for jobs and see if an employer will sponsor him...or if he qualifies for a work visa. Even if he does, the next round of applications starts in April 2019 for a start date of October 2019, so not going to happen soon.

But by far the easier way to be together is to do one of the marriage based visas... either a K-1 fiance visa or a CR-1 spouse immigrant visa. Both visas take about a year to process, so if you want him to be here in May 2019, you need to have started a few months ago. You are looking at more like late 2019 until he can live in the USA full time, but you can still visit each other during the visa process.

Unfortunately, he can only stay in the USA on VWP visits of less than 90 days and he can't work in the USA until he gets a work or marriage based visa in hand.

Our Wiki has a good comparison chart of the 2 marriage based visas.

Rene
Old Aug 20th 2018, 3:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Also check out the Wiki article called Pulaski's Ways. It lists all the visas to the USA, your bf can see if one applies to him.

Rene
Old Aug 20th 2018, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Mja1233 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much , Rene! I will definitely be checking that out.

So worst case scenario is we are a few months off track. I looked up to see how often he would be able to visit and it seems like it’s up to the officer at customs? So if my bf comes for 90 days and leaves, could he come back in 2-3 months for another 3 months? If we’re applying for a K-1, would we have to convince the officer that he’s not intending to live here until the visa goes through?
Old Aug 20th 2018, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

01morrissonj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Myself and my Fiancée are now 5 months deep into the fiancé visa process, we filed our paper work in March and it went to the processing centre in California who I believe are currently taking 5-7 months to "do their bit" so we're hoping to hear something soon.

As has already been said your bf is able to come and visit you during this process as my fiancée has travelled here (to the UK) and I have travelled there (to the US) whilst our paperwork is being processed.
Personally I have not had any issues going through Customs and Immigration when going to the US but I have only stayed for 2 weeks maximum (due to work commitments) the guy at the desk asked the usual questions, noted that there was a visa pending on my electronic passport, double checked that I wasn't going to get married yet and I was on my way.
My fiancée came in July where she was unlucky enough to meet an "awkward" immigration person who gave her some grief before letting her through (we think that the phrase "visiting my fiancé" can sometimes raise eyebrows depending on the mood they're in).

The semi-frequent long term stays might be an issue, they may question if he's working whilst spending so much time abroad.
Ultimately its down to the immigration person behind the desk on that day, if you can prove that there's a return flight booked and he's not going to work whilst he's staying and can support himself then there's little reason for there to be an issue.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

On the VWP do not stay full 90 days. Too risky with natural disasters, flight delays, etc. One second overstay means no more vwp.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 11:46 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Our Wiki has a good comparison chart of the 2 marriage based visas.
This. Because it's the only way you have any hope of him coming to the US as anything other than a visitor.

I would recommend no more than 85 day stays at a time, and even this is likely to get hairy after the first 2/3 times.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Mja1233
Thank you so much , Rene! I will definitely be checking that out.

So worst case scenario is we are a few months off track. I looked up to see how often he would be able to visit and it seems like it’s up to the officer at customs? So if my bf comes for 90 days and leaves, could he come back in 2-3 months for another 3 months? If we’re applying for a K-1, would we have to convince the officer that he’s not intending to live here until the visa goes through?
Multiple lengthy stays are not a good idea. Doesn't he have a job? How can he take so much time off to spend in the USA? You don't want the POE agent to start thinking he's effectively trying to live in the USA without the proper visa, and it's unusual to be allowed so much time off, you don't want the POE officer to think he's going to work in the USA to support himself while there so much.

Keep the visits as they have been so far.

Rene
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

As others have advised, multiple lengthy visits wouldn't be sensible. CBP Officers will definitely start asking questions.

I visited my wife during the visa process and only once did I get a few questions. These visits were about 8-10 days in length and I only went every 3-4 months. Rene pretty much hit the nail on the head, the easier way to be together permanently would be to get married and do the K1 or CR-1. He can apply for jobs in the hope someone will sponsor him, but if (and that's a huge if) he finds someone to sponsor him, there's nothing to say his employment-based visa would be accepted. Whereas the chances of a K1 or CR-1 getting denied are pretty damn slim if you have a straight forward case.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

In short: Do not have him stay 90 days. A few weeks at most. Likewise for you going over there. Get married and then we can help. Unless he is a senior manager with a highly sought set of skills in an industry that needs it which a distillery isn’t.

Good luck
Old Aug 21st 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by notaclue
Get married and then we can help.
Regarding this, you don't have to get married before we can help you. Only get married if you're going to do the CR-1 immigrant visa. If you're going to do the K-1 visa, you'll get married later.

Rene