Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Brit marrying a us citizen

Wikiposts

Brit marrying a us citizen

Old Jan 10th 2002, 3:23 am
Srhales

Hi, I'm a British Citizen intending to marry a US ciizen. Could anyone tell me if the
K1 visa is the best way of going about this. Or are there alternatives?.......could
I, for instance, enter the US under the waiver program, marry, then apply for the
green card?

thanks in advance....

Old Jan 10th 2002, 7:17 am
Jim Stumbo

I believe you could enter as a tourist, get married, and then file for adjustment of
status AOS. That seems to be the way that most people suggest. Others would probably
be able to verify this for me.

Jim

>
if
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 10th 2002, 9:54 am
Mhaley12345

As Jim said, it is possible....just needs to be unplanned....you certainly don't want
to come in saying you are going to marry once you get here. From what some others
have said, it may be best to wait a little while before you marry, a couple of months
perhaps, if you go that route....not so obvious. And of course, you can't come over
with all your posessions and try and pass it off as a visit! Other then that the K-1
is probably best route. For many it took approximately 4 or 5 months with the UK.

Old Jan 10th 2002, 11:14 am
Warren W

But you've got to remember the 30-60 day rule.

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 20:17:43 GMT, "Jim Stumbo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]>> Hi, I'm a British Citizen intending to marry a US ciizen. Could anyone tell me[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> the K1 visa is the best way of going about this. Or are there[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> alternatives?.......could I, for instance, enter the US under the waiver program,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> marry, then apply for the green card?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> thanks in advance....[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 10th 2002, 11:14 pm
Andy Platt

>

Not for a visa waiver you don't. Of course, I wouldn't personally get married and
file for adjustment on day two of being here *but* the 30-60 day rule does not apply
to the visa waiver program.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.