British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Brit on L1 visa marrying a citizen in a different state (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/brit-l1-visa-marrying-citizen-different-state-900785/)

Owl85 Jul 29th 2017 12:44 am

Brit on L1 visa marrying a citizen in a different state

Hi there! I'm working in New York (living in NJ) on an intra-company transfer L1 status.

My fiancé is a citizen and lives in Illinois. We're engaged and looking to get married in October.

We have a joint bank account and have been documenting our trips back and forth (photos, plane tickets), while doing long distance while I was still in the UK.

Do you think there will be any issue with the adjustment of status or marriage approval as we don't currently live together / in the same state?

Many thanks for your advice!

Noorah101 Jul 29th 2017 1:17 am

Re: Brit on L1 visa marrying a citizen in a different state

No problem getting married, no.

So you don't plan to be living together by the time your AOS interview comes around?

My husband and I also spent most of our time apart because although we permanently lived in AZ, he was in CA most of the time working. But we had one permanent address together in AZ, all his ID was AZ, his mailing address was AZ, etc. It's just that he was away alot for work.

I'd say you probably won't have an issue as long as one of the two states is your permanent home together, while one of you often spends time away for whatever reason.

Rene

Owl85 Jul 29th 2017 1:42 am

Thank you very much for your response, Rene.

I'm not banking on us living together by the time the AOS interview takes place due to work timing.

I'm glad you have worked it out for your situation.

I have had all my UK furniture shipped to Illinois too, so perhaps that might help reinforce the home message.

Thank you again!

Noorah101 Jul 29th 2017 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Owl85 (Post 12305207)
Thank you very much for your response, Rene.

I'm not banking on us living together by the time the AOS interview takes place due to work timing.

I'm glad you have worked it out for your situation.

I have had all my UK furniture shipped to Illinois too, so perhaps that might help reinforce the home message.

Thank you again!

So if you are using the IL address as your permanent one, and using it on the AOS application, keep in mind that you'll have to go to IL for the biometrics and AOS interview.

Rene

Owl85 Jul 29th 2017 2:05 am

That's good to know too, thank you!

Noorah101 Jul 29th 2017 2:09 am

For the record, we never mentioned my husband working in another state. No one asked, so we didn't offer that information either.

Rene

ian-mstm Jul 29th 2017 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Owl85 (Post 12305190)
Do you think there will be any issue with the adjustment of status or marriage approval as we don't currently live together / in the same state?

It won't be an issue - because there's no requirement whatsoever that you live together or in the same state.

Ian

Owl85 Jul 29th 2017 1:06 pm

Thank you very much Ian, that's very reassuring!

S Folinsky Jul 29th 2017 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12305214)
So if you are using the IL address as your permanent one, and using it on the AOS application, keep in mind that you'll have to go to IL for the biometrics and AOS interview.

Rene

As a general rule, any ASC will honor the biometrics notice. Actually, this is most common when a dependant is away at school.