Brisbane, Australia Medical Experience

Wikiposts

Brisbane, Australia Medical Experience

Old May 16th 2002, 6:20 pm
Jason Henry Par

Default Brisbane, Australia Medical Experience

I completed the medical examination portion of my visa processing today; total
time taken was about 3 or 4 hours, and all the details I needed to complete it
successfully were provided in advance although things didn't work out perfectly,
of course.

After locating Dr Yates's office (go to Central station, exit through the ticket
barrier and go directly through the wooden doors marked "Sheraton", down the
escalators in front of you, turn left, and down another set of escalators, turn left
again to the door of the clinic), I arrived about half an hour early for my
examination, since I knew I had to fill out one of the forms from my packet 3, but
didn't know which. It turned out to be the bottom of the medical instructions sheet,
where there is space for the signatures of the examining doctor and two lab
technicians (one for the X-ray, one for the blood test).

After filling out that and a standard patient details sheet for the clinic itself, I
handed over my passport, photographs (standard Australian passport photos, available
almost anywhere film is developed) and went to provide a urine sample[1].

I got back, signed the back of my photographs, and traded the sample for my bag
(taken presumably to make sure I wasn't cheating) and passport. The receptionist I
was dealing with asked if I had my case number with meTESTI'd forgotten to bring it,
even though she asked me for it when I made the appointment (d'oh!). I begged for
forgiveness, which was forthcoming, and called when I got home to provide it.

After a maybe 20-minute wait, the doctor called me in and asked about my medical
history; notable points included getting full details of my asthma, and an alarmingly
difficult eye test. Looks like I need glasses. Sorry, I meant to say "corrective
lenses"! Neither of these things appeared to be something I needed to worry about for
immigration, but I'll probably try to have some glasses by the time the interview
rolls around (if only to avoid paying for them in the US).

Next we checked my vaccination history: I had a letter from my doctor indicating I'd
had vaccinations for Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Polio, Diptheria, Tetanus and the flu,
as well as having started a course of Heptatis vaccinations. I also had the results
of a blood test for Varicella (chicken pox). The doctor was very pleased that I had
arranged all this (not to mention that it probably saved me a little money).

Next I was given my referrals for the X-ray and pathology tests. The X-ray was done
by QDI, in Morris Towers on Wickham Terrace (head back through Central station,
turn left at street level, cross at the lights), and there is a QML surgery
practically next door. I was advised to have the X-ray done first and to have the
blood test and some lunch while I waited for the film to be developed (this ended
up taking about an hour).

I was quite fortunate that I did not have to wait very long for either of these
appointments.

I ran my results back the office, and am due to call back to the clinic to collect
the results of my blood test sometime after Tuesday (the 21st).

All in all the only hiccup was when I was getting my blood test done; the nurse and
I noticed that my referral said I was born in 1919! Er, I look young, but that's
because I *am* a sweet young thang, -not- because I'm a very well-preserved 83
years old!

To top it all off I arrived home to find that not only was my visa interview booked,
but it's for the date I requested when I sent back my DS-230! Hooray!

Timeline so far:

Packet 3 rec'd: 18 March 2002 DS-230(I) sent: 22 April 2002 DS-230 returned from
consulate: 03 May 2002 DS-230 completed, returned to consulate: 03 May 2002 Police
report, fingerprint check: 07 May 2002 Medical completed: 17 May 2002 Notice of
interview: 17 May 2002 Fiance arrives: 28 May 2002 Interview scheduled: 11 June 2002
Anticipated departure date: 26 June 2002

I hope this information is useful for someone currently going through this process or
who will have to deal with it in the future.

Cheers, and thank you for all your help!

jason

[1] : Amusing moment of the day: realising I was walking through the lobby of the
Sheraton Hotel with a paper bag containing, well, they probably did not want to
know. Heh.
--
    ||TEST-|TEST|TESTTESTTESTTEST|--|TESTTEST-|TESTTEST|TESTTESTTEST--|-#TEST|-|--|TESTT-
    |EST|| `This is the operative statement. | The others are inoperative.'
    |[email protected] |

Old May 17th 2002, 2:20 am
Diane

Default Re: Brisbane, Australia Medical Experience

Congratulations!! The medical went the same way mine did in Brisbane except I didn't
have to do the bloods or Xray as I had them done in my then hometown. I am now
happily esconded in my NEW hometown and country USA! Best wishes for your
interview!!!