Reload this Page >

Bring Fiance over from Aussie

Wikiposts

Bring Fiance over from Aussie

Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:19 am
Aussie/USA

Aussie&Princess is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bring Fiance over from Aussie

We are trying to figure out the best way to bring my fiance and his children over to the US. I am a USC and he is from Australia. We have heard several different routes to go. Is the K-1 the best route? We don't want him to sell up, come over only to be told to go home. He has been here for 9 weeks already and returns to Aussie on July 10th. We would like for him and his boys to return asap.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bring Fiance over from Aussie

Originally Posted by Aussie&Princess
We are trying to figure out the best way to bring my fiance and his children over to the US. I am a USC and he is from Australia. We have heard several different routes to go. Is the K-1 the best route? We don't want him to sell up, come over only to be told to go home. He has been here for 9 weeks already and returns to Aussie on July 10th. We would like for him and his boys to return asap.
Hi Princess,

If you can manage to go to Australia, probably the quickest and easiest way is for you to go there, get married, and file DCF (Direct Consular Filing) at the US Embassy in Australia. DCF is usually the quickest way to get an immigrant visa. I'm not sure of Australia's rules regarding that, though, so it would be good for you to check out the US Embassy in Australia's website and see how it works.

Other than that, you can either start the fiance visa process now, or else get married now and start the spousal visa from the USA. Between those two, I am not sure which one would be faster, but for sure the spousal immigrant visa (which will result in a CR-1 visa) will be the least hassle in the long run. The K-1 fiance visa and also the K-3 spouse visa (which isn't any faster these days, from what I hear), involve further paperwork once in the USA, whereas the CR-1 visa does not.

You have several choices here. Do some more research to see which one suits you best. They all have their pros and cons, and just depends which suits our needs more.

We're here to answer any questions you have.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:53 am
Aussie/USA

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Princess,

If you can manage to go to Australia, probably the quickest and easiest way is for you to go there, get married, and file DCF (Direct Consular Filing) at the US Embassy in Australia. DCF is usually the quickest way to get an immigrant visa. I'm not sure of Australia's rules regarding that, though, so it would be good for you to check out the US Embassy in Australia's website and see how it works.

Other than that, you can either start the fiance visa process now, or else get married now and start the spousal visa from the USA. Between those two, I am not sure which one would be faster, but for sure the spousal immigrant visa (which will result in a CR-1 visa) will be the least hassle in the long run. The K-1 fiance visa and also the K-3 spouse visa (which isn't any faster these days, from what I hear), involve further paperwork once in the USA, whereas the CR-1 visa does not.

You have several choices here. Do some more research to see which one suits you best. They all have their pros and cons, and just depends which suits our needs more.

We're here to answer any questions you have.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Ok well wish could get married NOW but his boys are still in aussie and my divorce wont be final for a month or two. I been separated for 3 years now. If I went to Australia, how long would I have to stay there while filing the DCF, (which is the first I have heard of it).
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok well wish could get married NOW but his boys are still in aussie and my divorce wont be final for a month or two. I been separated for 3 years now. If I went to Australia, how long would I have to stay there while filing the DCF, (which is the first I have heard of it).
Hi Princess,

Here's the link to the page for spousal visas in Sydney.

http://usembassy-australia.state.gov/consular/iv.html

It doesn't say on that page how long the USC must be in Australia to be able to petition for an Australian spouse. I'd read up on that page, and then send the embassy an email asking that specific question...i.e., how long must a USC have been in Australia in order to file a spousal visa petition directly in Sydney?

Let us know what you find out!
Rene
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:08 am
Aussie/USA

Rene

thank you very much. I will keep you posted about what we find out.

Aussie & Princess
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Non-resident USCs are allowed to file DCF in Australia -- to my knowledge, there is no minimum length of time that you have to be there.

If you have all of your paperwork in order, DCF in Australia usually only takes one day! You lucky, lucky bums!

And at the risk of stating the obvious for the OP -- until your divorce is finalized and you are free to marry, you cannot file for anything, not even a fiance visa. Not that you would have filed for that anyway since DCF is such a better option for you.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is unique in the world of DCF... they not only do *not* require residency from the USC, the fiance can pre-process the application, get maried and both pop to Sydney for the interview. Visas have been issued same-day.
You won't find their webiste talking about this, but here is some info from actual users:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...howtopic=43365

The DCF Guide:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=dcf

And please do a search of this group as well, there have been many DCF Australia cases here!
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
Australia is unique in the world of DCF... they not only do *not* require residency from the USC, the fiance can pre-process the application, get maried and both pop to Sydney for the interview. Visas have been issued same-day.
You won't find their webiste talking about this, but here is some info from actual users:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...howtopic=43365

The DCF Guide:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=dcf

And please do a search of this group as well, there have been many DCF Australia cases here!
Woo hoooo, that's good news for the Aussie and Princess! Once her divorce is final and she has the divorce decree, she should just hop on a plane and do it! I sure would!

Rene
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Woo hoooo, that's good news for the Aussie and Princess! Once her divorce is final and she has the divorce decree, she should just hop on a plane and do it! I sure would!

Rene
Amazingly, it's not the best fit for everyone. If she has the means to travel, it is certainly a shortcut to the good stuff.
And, faster than a K-1! But only for Australia.

The resulting Immigrant Visa is certainly more attractive, because he'll be eligible to work asap.

Well, if she's got questions, she knows where to come

PS: those boys will need the court's permission to move out of their home country, I'd imagine.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 1:29 pm
Aussie/USA

Many thank you's. We will be looking more into that DCF. This is the first that we heard about that. Now I understand why a friend of ours from the UK who came to the states said Australia was easier then other places.

I will keep you all posted on our journey.

Aussie & Princess
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:22 am
Eric S.

It sounds like DCF is your best option. You may want to check the
comparision chart on visajourney.com to see what the other options are, just
in case: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=compare. There's a
lot of other good info on visajourney.com. Check it out.

- Eric S.

"Aussie&Princess" <member40683@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > > Amazingly, it's not the best fit for everyone. If she has the means to
    > > travel, it is certainly a shortcut to the good stuff.
    > > And, faster than a K-1! But only for Australia.
    > >
    > > The resulting Immigrant Visa is certainly more attractive, because
    > > he'll be eligible to work asap.
    > >
    > > Well, if she's got questions, she knows where to come :)
    > >
    > > PS: those boys will need the court's permission to move out of their
    > > home country, I'd imagine.
    > Many thank you's. We will be looking more into that DCF. This is the
    > first that we heard about that. Now I understand why a friend of ours
    > from the UK who came to the states said Australia was easier then
    > other places.
    > I will keep you all posted on our journey.
    > Aussie & Princess
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com