Reload this Page >

Birth Certificate with different name

Birth Certificate with different name

Old Aug 16th 2018, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

theroon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Birth Certificate with different name

Hi All,

We're just about to start the CR1 process with direct filing in London. My wife is a US/UK citizen but her current US passport has expired so she'll need to get a new one, which could take a few weeks. She has a birth certificate we could use as ID but that has her mother's maiden name, rather than her father's name ( The name she has on all documents). My question is would this could problems/delays if we used it on the I130 FORM? We'd like to move early next year so know we need to get everything done as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Any help gratefully received

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 12:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birth Certificate with different name

Her US birth certificate should be fine as proof that she's a USC. She can write a statement as to why the name is different.

Rene
Old Aug 16th 2018, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Her US birth certificate should be fine as proof that she's a USC. She can write a statement as to why the name is different.

Rene
Thanks very much. And I suppose she could send a photocopy of her outdated passport with her name? As long as it doesn't complicate or slow down matters. We really are up against it in terms of time.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 1:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There's no need to send 2 proofs. If she's concerned about the name, just use a photocopy of the passport. An outdated passport still shows proof of US citizenship.

Rene
Old Aug 16th 2018, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There's no need to send 2 proofs. If she's concerned about the name, just use a photocopy of the passport. An outdated passport still shows proof of US citizenship.

Rene

So Valid passport can also mean out of date/expired?
Old Aug 16th 2018, 2:32 pm

I should step back, I guess, since I haven't read the instructions. I was under the impression that even an expired passport could be used as identification to prove citizenship. I am not a lawyer, and could be wrong. So, if the passport should be current, then go ahead and send in the birth certificate. She can include an explanation as to the name change.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 4:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You have been talking / planning this for months. Why has your wife not taken care of this months ago so you are not pressed for time. Just curious.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 5:53 pm

OK, I just read the I-130 instructions and it does say "unexpired passport". Therefore, use a copy of the birth certificate.

Rene
Old Aug 17th 2018, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Or if you can, just get a new passport. You can pay for premium processing...