Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Are biometrics a rate determining step?

Wikiposts

Are biometrics a rate determining step?

Old Jun 13th 2009, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are biometrics a rate determining step?

I read in previous posts that I can walk-in to have my biometrics taken before the actual appointment date as long as I have the appointment paper in hand. Also that the office may or may not accept to take my biometrics at the earlier date.

My question is whether getting the biometrics done earlier than the date given in the paper sent out to me, would speed up the processing of the AOS paperwork?

Accordingly I may go try my luck this Monday. Or I'll wait the extra weeks for the given appointment date which I just received, if you think it won't make any difference on the timeline of the processing of the paperwork.

Thanks.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are biometrics a rate determining step?

Originally Posted by jmood
My question is whether getting the biometrics done earlier than the date given in the paper sent out to me, would speed up the processing of the AOS paperwork?
Yes, in the sense that processing your case will resume sooner.

Ian
Old Jun 14th 2009, 3:21 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what USCIS office you use, but the Norfolk (VA) office won't let anyone through the doors without an appointment notice or at least an Infopass appointment.

When Mark got his AOS biometrics appointment, his appointment notice said to come "the week of the 20th" -- and the 20th was a Wednesday. We showed up on Monday the 18th and they almost didn't let us in, but finally relented when one of the security guards agreed with our interpretation that "the week of the 20th" could include the 18th. Luckily for us they let us through, because it was a 2-hour drive (and an entire vacation day taken) to get there.

So, if you don't have the biometrics appointment letter in hand yet, then you might be wasting time/gas to go there just to get turned away at the door.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:12 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it would be a subjective assumption that yes it would. This is due to the fact that you will never know if does or does not speed up the AOS interview date. It is set when it is set. You have the biometrics, the prints clear and are attached to your file. The interview date is set up when the adjudicating officer who has been assigned your case has the time to see you. So it might well be that having them done early will put you in line at number 189 instead of 249 and if she/he sees 10 people a day, then you have brought your AOS interview 6 days closer.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be going to the Varick Street office in New York City. Does anybody have experience whether that office will let me walk in, holding an appointment letter with a future date?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
I'll be going to the Varick Street office in New York City. Does anybody have experience whether that office will let me walk in, holding an appointment letter with a future date?

Simple search gave me the answer in post #7. Note the date was in November 2008 so was recent.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Rete,
I did the search as well, but couldn't find any meaningful replies (key words in various combinations, new york city, varick street, biometrics). And am not sure what you mena by post number 7 either. Sorry. Please could you expand?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Update: I had my biometrics taken this morning. :-)
I was done in about 10mins!

I arrived there at 10.15 am. The security guard just glimpsed at the appointment letter. I don't think he even looked at the appointment date. When I arrived at the room where the biometrics are done, a person at the front desk gave me form to fill without asking to look at the letter. When I had filled the form, he sent me over to a woman at another desk, who looked briefly at my appointment letter and the form. Instantaneously, another woman was at our side and she took me over to her work station. She took my fingerprints and photo, stamped my letter. And I was done! None of the people even mentioned the date.

I found it fascinating seeing all my 10 fingerprints - entire side to side of each finger - blown up on a computer screen. OK - now I might get the weirdo tag on the forum, but never mind. :-)

There were about 5 to 10 people sitting there filling out forms when I arrived. They must have enough numbers of officers taking the biometrics vs, numbers of appointments given on a day that I didn't have to wait even a minute.

The building itself is huge, occupying an entire city block. It houses the National Guard as well as the NE region branch of the National Archives, the latter which I of course visited out of curiosity. :-)
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:07 am
Concierge

Oh Laudy, I'm so sorry. I forgot to post the link.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ck#post6943482

Hint, don't search by thread but by post. Be sure the correct one is highlighted at the bottom of the advanced search tool. All I used was the word "Varick"