Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Biometrics: How long are they good for?

Wikiposts

Biometrics: How long are they good for?

Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Mr. Z19 is a jewel in the roughMr. Z19 is a jewel in the roughMr. Z19 is a jewel in the roughMr. Z19 is a jewel in the roughMr. Z19 is a jewel in the rough
Default Biometrics: How long are they good for?

How long are the I-485 biometric/fingerprints results good for?

I expect to be called for the interview more than 15 months after the date my results were received.

If you are not called for AOS interview after the expiration date of your biometric/fingerprints, can you get them taken again before being called for the interview? Can you make an appointment calling mis-information line? just showing up at a ASC location?
Anyone?

I might be confusing things, but I have seen people posting here saying that everything went fine at the interview, but that they were not approved because of background checks pending. Is it the same thing?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Biometrics: How long are they good for?

Originally Posted by Mr. Z19
How long are the I-485 biometric/fingerprints results good for?

I expect to be called for the interview more than 15 months after the date my results were received.

If you are not called for AOS interview after the expiration date of your biometric/fingerprints, can you get them taken again before being called for the interview? Can you make an appointment calling mis-information line? just showing up at a ASC location?
Anyone?

I might be confusing things, but I have seen people posting here saying that everything went fine at the interview, but that they were not approved because of background checks pending. Is it the same thing?
Hi Z19,

If your background check isn't finished by the time you have your AOS interview, it might just be that the FBI or other agency simply hasn't finished with your case....not necessarily because the print validity expired.

I have heard that the print validity is good for 12 to 15 months. I've also heard that you could be notified by the USCIS to get another set done, before your interview. Or, you could not get notified, go to your interview and maybe they'll tell you yours have expired and get another set done.

Sorry I'm not too much help here. LOL Like you, I'm afraid we'll run into the same problem. My husband had his biometrics done in August 2004, and our interview most likely won't be until very late this year...about 16 or 18 months after his biometrics. I have no idea if they'll notify us to get a new set, or if his will expire and need new ones done, or what. I guess that just remains to be seen.

I hope yours works out well.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:56 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

From what I gather from what people post the fingerprint stuff is as random as the rest of the process. It seems like some people received a letter that told them to get fingerprints again where as others didn't (which of course could have to do with the fact that they were within the timeframe). I definitely wouldn't just go to an ASC and get a new set done. I think they wouldn't even let you in without an appointment letter. So if I were you I wouldn't worry about it. If you get a letter saying you need it done then you go and get it done, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

And I think the background check doesn't really have anything to do with those fingerprints. The background check is probably just to see if you have committed any crimes, are a terrorist, etc.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steffi
And I think the background check doesn't really have anything to do with those fingerprints. The background check is probably just to see if you have committed any crimes, are a terrorist, etc.
Steffi,

Going to the biometrics appointment and having the 10-digit set of prints done and sent in to FBI is what triggers the background check, I think. That's the way I've heard it explained, anyway. Now what that check involves, who knows...name check, background check, security check....whatever.

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:04 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Steffi,

Going to the biometrics appointment and having the 10-digit set of prints done and sent in to FBI is what triggers the background check, I think. That's the way I've heard it explained, anyway. Now what that check involves, who knows...name check, background check, security check....whatever.

Rene
Ohhhhh, ok.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:05 am

Mr. Z19 wrote:
    > How long are the I-485 biometric/fingerprints results good for?
    > I expect to be called for the interview more than 15 months after the
    > date my results were received.
    > If you are not called for AOS interview after the expiration date of
    > your biometric/fingerprints, can you get them taken again before
being
    > called for the interview? Can you make an appointment calling mis-
    > information line? just showing up at a ASC location?
    > Anyone?
    > I might be confusing things, but I have seen people posting here
saying
    > that everything went fine at the interview, but that they were not
    > approved because of background checks pending. Is it the same thing?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Hi I will tell you what happened to me.
I had the fingerprints done in August 2003.
Got the AOS interview in March 2004.
Passed the interview apart form the background check not being
completed.
Heard nothing at all until I took an infopass appointment 2 weeks ago.
They told me the check was ok but the prints had expired.
So I had them done again yesterday.
The sad thing is I am back to square one again waiting for the whole
background check to de redone!!

Old Feb 11th 2005, 3:59 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

So you still haven't gotten an interview date either from Arlington eh? (well, it's not Arlington anymore ). It helps to know we're not the only ones...but then again you had your biometrics appt before my husband did.

I never knew the biometrics material expired, I should keep an eye on that.

Lisa
Old Feb 11th 2005, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Mr. Z19 is a jewel in the roughMr. Z19 is a jewel in the roughMr. Z19 is a jewel in the roughMr. Z19 is a jewel in the roughMr. Z19 is a jewel in the rough

Yep, the good ol' DC office (not ol' anymore, since they recently moved)... I imagine that because of the move they haven't done jack s**t in months...

At this point I am really hoping that they'll call for the interview 2 years after my wedding date. I'm trying to avoid any problems that might come up, and I thought that fingerprint expiration might be one of them...
Old Feb 11th 2005, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Yep, the good ol' DC office (not ol' anymore, since they recently moved)... I imagine that because of the move they haven't done jack s**t in months...

At this point I am really hoping that they'll call for the interview 2 years after my wedding date. I'm trying to avoid any problems that might come up, and I thought that fingerprint expiration might be one of them...
Fingerprints expire 15 months from the time USCIS receives the information from the FBI.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:18 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Steffi,

Rene

There are AKAIK three areas of security clearance:

IBIS which is a name check of the database which lists people have border crossing issues (an authority correct me if I'm off base with that)

FBI - fingerprint and name check

CIA - name check

If there is a hit on any of the three the wait is longer while the issue is resolved.

Rete