Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Biometrics for Chicago application support center

Wikiposts

Biometrics for Chicago application support center

Old May 23rd 2004, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

mrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Biometrics for Chicago application support center

I'm glad to say we've got our biometrics appointment dealt with, and we're one step closer to getting the EAD. Here's how it worked...

We'd made our appointment a month or so in advance, at our nearest application support center (Naperville, Illinois).

The office was located in a main shopping area, between Sam's Club, La-Z boy furniture gallery, and the Sari Sari Oriental food place. Oh well, it's got to be somewhere I suppose. They don't have any parking spaces of their own (grrr) but that wasn't a problem as there is a parking lot just a fraction smaller than Canada on the other side of the road.

On entry we were faced with the big security guy behind a desk, and he asked for photo ID and my passport, plus a quick look at my hands for some reason. We gave him what he asked for, and in return he gave us a clipboard and pen so we could fill out the questionaire (the AIW - "Application Information Worksheet"). Most of the questions were about my personal appearance (height, weight, hair colour etc) and a few more technical things like Social Security number. Some of the questions had multiple choice answers to tick, and I'm still wondering how many people have ticked "maroon" for eye colour??!

We handed the completed form to the lady at reception. She confirmed that I was being processed for both Adjustment of Status and also for Employment Authorisation Document. She took our NOAs for the AOS and EAD and stamped them, and handed them back with the AIW and two sheets of paper with large numbers paperclipped to them. We were told to take a seat and wait behind a small enclosed area reserved for EAD applicants. The rest of the crowd (the office was packed) sat in the main area in rows of seats and watched a Star Wars DVD on the big TV.

One of our two numbers was called, and this was for the photos and fingerprints for the EAD. First of all I was asked to confirm my details were correct on the screen. My name was spelled incorrectly but that was easily remedied. Next I was asked to stand in front of the computer and the lady wiped my finger with some kind of lotion and then pressed it down onto the little red screen at the front of the computer. The image appeared on the screen and was "captured" and filed. This was done with both my index fingers, and then I had to sit on the chair to one side of the computer so she could take my picture with what looked like an expensive looking webcam bolted on to the side of the monitor. I was asked to tilt my head to a 3/4 view, and then it was all over and I was back in my seat.

And we waited. And waited.

Eventually our second number was called and I was taken to another computer with another scan-screen. The lady wiped my hands over with soft soap, cleaned the scanner glass with meths, and it started again, only this time I hand to roll each finger from left to right and produce a squarish image on the screen. This was pretty tricky to get right because as soon as the image appeared it was scanned by the computer and rejected due to various ridge breaks and innacuracies. Eventually we managed to satisfy the computer with all of my prints. The next step was to place my whole hand on the screen so that it could scan the complete length of four fingers at once. This was much easier, but my right hand print looked a bit odd due to the injury I sustained earlier. Oh well, that's what I've got, it'll have to do!

I waited a little longer for a supervisor to approve my prints, and then I was told I was free to go. So, that was it then! The NOAs came back with us thank goodness, and now that the biometrics is out the way we can resume processing on the EAD and AOS. (first NOA was April 12th btw).

One other thing worth noting - While I was having my second set of prints taken SG was engaged in conversation with one of the other operators at the office. He said that they were all amazed at how busy they were lately. Normally on a Saturday they'd be keeping the office tidy and drinking coffee, but for the last three weeks they were rushed off their feet. Last Saturday they processed 200 applicants in one day!!

Our total waiting time was three and a half hours, so take a book (or watch the film if you can see the screen). Other than that it was all pretty painless actually.

Cheers,

Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~no inky fingers for me!
Old May 23rd 2004, 3:21 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Biometrics for Chicago application support center

Out of interest, when did you apply for EAD and AOS?
Good to hear that you're ticking along and getting things crossed off the list.
Old May 23rd 2004, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

mrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
Out of interest, when did you apply for EAD and AOS?
Good to hear that you're ticking along and getting things crossed off the list.
Hiya,
Sent in the application to Chicago (who transferred it to NBC) on April 6th, and the first NOAs were dated April 12th.

We're rollin'!

SG and Mr. P
Old May 23rd 2004, 8:42 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Mr.Pink glad to see you back on here! It's been a while glad to hear AOS went well.
Old May 24th 2004, 12:22 pm
Welsh Wife

JohnCindy is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by mrpink
I'm glad to say we've got our biometrics appointment dealt with, and we're one step closer to getting the EAD. Here's how it worked...

We'd made our appointment a month or so in advance, at our nearest application support center (Naperville, Illinois).

The office was located in a main shopping area, between Sam's Club, La-Z boy furniture gallery, and the Sari Sari Oriental food place. Oh well, it's got to be somewhere I suppose. They don't have any parking spaces of their own (grrr) but that wasn't a problem as there is a parking lot just a fraction smaller than Canada on the other side of the road.

On entry we were faced with the big security guy behind a desk, and he asked for photo ID and my passport, plus a quick look at my hands for some reason. We gave him what he asked for, and in return he gave us a clipboard and pen so we could fill out the questionaire (the AIW - "Application Information Worksheet"). Most of the questions were about my personal appearance (height, weight, hair colour etc) and a few more technical things like Social Security number. Some of the questions had multiple choice answers to tick, and I'm still wondering how many people have ticked "maroon" for eye colour??!

We handed the completed form to the lady at reception. She confirmed that I was being processed for both Adjustment of Status and also for Employment Authorisation Document. She took our NOAs for the AOS and EAD and stamped them, and handed them back with the AIW and two sheets of paper with large numbers paperclipped to them. We were told to take a seat and wait behind a small enclosed area reserved for EAD applicants. The rest of the crowd (the office was packed) sat in the main area in rows of seats and watched a Star Wars DVD on the big TV.

One of our two numbers was called, and this was for the photos and fingerprints for the EAD. First of all I was asked to confirm my details were correct on the screen. My name was spelled incorrectly but that was easily remedied. Next I was asked to stand in front of the computer and the lady wiped my finger with some kind of lotion and then pressed it down onto the little red screen at the front of the computer. The image appeared on the screen and was "captured" and filed. This was done with both my index fingers, and then I had to sit on the chair to one side of the computer so she could take my picture with what looked like an expensive looking webcam bolted on to the side of the monitor. I was asked to tilt my head to a 3/4 view, and then it was all over and I was back in my seat.

And we waited. And waited.

Eventually our second number was called and I was taken to another computer with another scan-screen. The lady wiped my hands over with soft soap, cleaned the scanner glass with meths, and it started again, only this time I hand to roll each finger from left to right and produce a squarish image on the screen. This was pretty tricky to get right because as soon as the image appeared it was scanned by the computer and rejected due to various ridge breaks and innacuracies. Eventually we managed to satisfy the computer with all of my prints. The next step was to place my whole hand on the screen so that it could scan the complete length of four fingers at once. This was much easier, but my right hand print looked a bit odd due to the injury I sustained earlier. Oh well, that's what I've got, it'll have to do!

I waited a little longer for a supervisor to approve my prints, and then I was told I was free to go. So, that was it then! The NOAs came back with us thank goodness, and now that the biometrics is out the way we can resume processing on the EAD and AOS. (first NOA was April 12th btw).

One other thing worth noting - While I was having my second set of prints taken SG was engaged in conversation with one of the other operators at the office. He said that they were all amazed at how busy they were lately. Normally on a Saturday they'd be keeping the office tidy and drinking coffee, but for the last three weeks they were rushed off their feet. Last Saturday they processed 200 applicants in one day!!

Our total waiting time was three and a half hours, so take a book (or watch the film if you can see the screen). Other than that it was all pretty painless actually.

Cheers,

Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~no inky fingers for me!
Wow did you take a cushion to sit on too? hehehehe I watched as John was getting his fingerprinting. It is pretty amazing actually.
Old Jul 24th 2004, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

soyonszen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mrpink,
I also went to the Naperville ASC, recently.
Do you remember if they kept your fill-out form, the "Application Information Worksheet"?
Just realized they didn't keep mine, since I have it (returned it to us along with the NOAs that they stamped on). Weren't they suppose to keep that questionnaire form?
Thanks
Old Jul 25th 2004, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Hansey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by soyonszen
Hi Mrpink,
Do you remember if they kept your fill-out form, the "Application Information Worksheet"?
Just realized they didn't keep mine, since I have it (returned it to us along with the NOAs that they stamped on). Weren't they suppose to keep that questionnaire form?
Thanks
My husband had his done last week at the Rhode Island ASC last week, and hey gave us back the questionnaire too (along with the NOAs) so I'm presuming they don't need it. I hope.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 6:13 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by soyonszen
Hi Mrpink,
Thanks
Hi there, Mr. Pink's wife here!

I just checked the big binder in which we keep all our immigration stuff, and the Application Information Worksheet is in there with lots of notations on it. We also have our stamped NOAs. So, appears that you are supposed to have that sheet in your possession!

BTW, Mr. Pink filed for EAD and AP with NOAs of April 12 from NBC. The AP was approved on July 1st, as was the EAD. He now has both in hand. Looks like their date of Feb. 1st for EAD is a tad off. Hope that is encouraging to you!

~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink
Old Jul 25th 2004, 6:24 am
Just Joined

soyonszen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hansey, Secretgarden,
Thanks !