Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Biometrics appointment URGENT PLEASE HELP

Wikiposts

Biometrics appointment URGENT PLEASE HELP

Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

palgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nice
Default Biometrics appointment URGENT PLEASE HELP

Hello all. Here is a quick timeline of my application:

10/10/2006 I485/130/131/765 filed based on marriage
10/17/2006 Receipt received for all 4 petitions
10/26/2006 Appointment letter received for biometrics

Here is the problem. The appointment is set for 11/01/2006 at 0800 at the Tucson USCIS office. It looks like its for BOTH the 485 and 765 application (one letter for biometrics concerning both applications).
I am on the other side of the country for work and are not scheduled to return until 11/9.
On the letter there is no mention on a certain day of the week where biometrics can be done on a walk-in basis. Instead it says that if I fail to appear, the petition will be considered abandoned. Pretty much along the lines of the AOS interview letter, even though its only for biometrics.

I am looking at trying to get one or 2 days off to go back, but I'm not sure if I can. Well, I know I can, but I don't know if it will cost me my job! Even if I don't loose my job, taking these 2 days will cause significant economic loss (well beyond the cost of airfare) and other problems at my job.

On the appointment notice form it says that if one want to reschedule it, there is a choice between saturday or wednesday, and it says to mail the form back and the appointment will be rescheduled on the earliest day available.

QUESTIONS:

1. If I decide to reschedule, will it cause an overall delay in the entire AOS process, or will the I485 continue its process at the same speed? in other words will it affect my projected AOS interview date?

2. ANY idea how long a rescheduling can take? is it a couple of weeks or a couple of months? the original appointment was done VERY quickly so I doubt the Tucson office is backlogged on biometrics appointments...

3. If I decide to reschedule the appointment, is it better to mail in the form to Tucson office, or is it advisable for my wife to go in person, given the appointment date is so near?

Did anyone reschedule this type of appointment lately? what was the outcome?

Please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

John
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Biometrics appointment URGENT PLEASE HELP

Originally Posted by palgia
Hello all. Here is a quick timeline of my application:

10/10/2006 I485/130/131/765 filed based on marriage
10/17/2006 Receipt received for all 4 petitions
10/26/2006 Appointment letter received for biometrics

Here is the problem. The appointment is set for 11/01/2006 at 0800 at the Tucson USCIS office. It looks like its for BOTH the 485 and 765 application (one letter for biometrics concerning both applications).
I am on the other side of the country for work and are not scheduled to return until 11/9.
On the letter there is no mention on a certain day of the week where biometrics can be done on a walk-in basis. Instead it says that if I fail to appear, the petition will be considered abandoned. Pretty much along the lines of the AOS interview letter, even though its only for biometrics.

I am looking at trying to get one or 2 days off to go back, but I'm not sure if I can. Well, I know I can, but I don't know if it will cost me my job! Even if I don't loose my job, taking these 2 days will cause significant economic loss (well beyond the cost of airfare) and other problems at my job.

On the appointment notice form it says that if one want to reschedule it, there is a choice between saturday or wednesday, and it says to mail the form back and the appointment will be rescheduled on the earliest day available.

QUESTIONS:

1. If I decide to reschedule, will it cause an overall delay in the entire AOS process, or will the I485 continue its process at the same speed? in other words will it affect my projected AOS interview date?

2. ANY idea how long a rescheduling can take? is it a couple of weeks or a couple of months? the original appointment was done VERY quickly so I doubt the Tucson office is backlogged on biometrics appointments...

3. If I decide to reschedule the appointment, is it better to mail in the form to Tucson office, or is it advisable for my wife to go in person, given the appointment date is so near?

Did anyone reschedule this type of appointment lately? what was the outcome?

Please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

John
Quite a few people here have reported simply turning up late for biometrics appointments, and having them done on the spot. My son was able to do this for his EAD.

The people who do the biometrics are separate from USCIS and seem to be much more flexible and human.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

palgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
Quite a few people here have reported simply turning up late for biometrics appointments, and having them done on the spot. My son was able to do this for his EAD.

The people who do the biometrics are separate from USCIS and seem to be much more flexible and human.
Hi Elvira, what you say is consistent with what I have read around the forum in the past. However, the part that scares me is the:
IF YOU FAIL TO APPEAR AS SCHEDULED, YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE CONSIDERED ABANDONED.

Did your son's appointment letter include that statement as well?
Either way, I wouldn't just let the appointment date pass, I'd reschedule it. But I wouldn't want the whole AOS processed to be slowed down because of it....

John
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:48 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can either:

1. Walk into the office and ask if you can do the biometrics EARLIER than the date on the appointment notice as you will be out of state on that day for business.

2. Walk into the office LATER than the appointment date and explain why you missed the appointment.

3. Reschedule the appointment.

Your choice.

Hi Elvira, what you say is consistent with what I have read around the forum in the past. However, the part that scares me is the:
IF YOU FAIL TO APPEAR AS SCHEDULED, YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE CONSIDERED ABANDONED.

Either way, I wouldn't just let the appointment date pass, I'd reschedule it. But I wouldn't want the whole AOS processed to be slowed down because of it....

John
Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:32 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

John
Hi John,

I agree with the others that it shouldn't really be an issue to either walk in at a later date, or go ahead and reschedule according to their form.

Yes, it will slow down the process just a bit, if you get your biometrics done later because they won't continue with your process until you have your biometrics done. But if you're only talking about 10 days here, it's only a 10-day delay...it won't change much in the long run.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 27th 2006, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea if this would work or not - but what about trying to walk in to a different ASC (wherever you are) and explaining the situation to them? ASC people (at least the ones Ive dealt with) seem to be pretty reasonable usually...
Old Oct 27th 2006, 4:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
I have no idea if this would work or not - but what about trying to walk in to a different ASC (wherever you are) and explaining the situation to them? ASC people (at least the ones Ive dealt with) seem to be pretty reasonable usually...
That might be a good idea! His wife might need to Fed Ex him the original NOAs, I know at our biometrics appt they needed to see the original NOAs so they could stamp them to prove biometrics were done.

Rene
Old Oct 27th 2006, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for everyone who replied. My wife went to the ASC today and asked all of the above questions. They told her I have to do it at the Tucson ASC, but they were really cool about rescheduling it for Nov 11.
You guys were right, since all they did was scribble down the new appointment time on the original letter and that's it. No re-printing or anything.

I hope this delay will not slow down my 485.... since they say most of the wait time is simply waiting for the USCIS to process the cases filed before yours, I hope the rescheduling will not affect my 485 since I doubt they are already working on mine.

Either way, that you all for your quick answers and suggestions. I appreciate all your help.

John