The BIG white envelope

Old Mar 6th 2018, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The BIG white envelope

Hello,

It’s nearly that time when myself (Dual Citizen) and my wife (IR-1) will be doing our POE at Orlando. As allot of people on here are aware the humungous white envelope must travel with my wife so she can present it to immigration and hopefully get through with no problems. The question I have is how have people carried this envelope? Is it ok to fold it within reason and squeeze it into a carryon bag or does my wife have to carry it from airport to airport in her hand?
Old Mar 6th 2018, 9:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The BIG white envelope

In a carry-on is fine. It can be bent a little but is, IME, too fat to be folded. It certainly doesn't need to be carried in your hand. It has a copy of all your case documents in it, so the ends cane be folded over a little, to reduce its length - imagine 2-3cm stack of papers in an envelope. ..... But as she should have it in her hand when she approaches the immigration desk on arrival in the US it doesn't really matter how she carried it on the plane.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 6th 2018 at 9:51 am.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pulaski,

And I'm correct in thinking that when we get stateside we both get in the US citizen line and I hand my US passport over first and then my wife presents her paper work and temp green card in her passport.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 10:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
Thanks Pulaski,

And I'm correct in thinking that when we get stateside we both get in the US citizen line and I hand my US passport over first and then my wife presents her paper work and temp green card in her passport.
Probably yes, but most airports have a CBP officer in the queueing area, so check with them and they will direct you which queue to join.

And BTW at the moment she has a visa in her passport - an immigration officer will put an I-551 stamp in her passport, which is a "temporary green card" (valid for 12 months).

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 6th 2018 at 10:08 am.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Probably yes, but most airports have a CBP officer in the queueing area, so check with them and they will direct you which queue to join.

And BTW at the moment she has a visa in her passport - an immigration officer will put an I-551 stamp in her passport, which is a "temporary green card" (valid for 12 months).
Cheers
Old Mar 6th 2018, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Carried it in the laptop compartment of my backpack.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
Carried it in the laptop compartment of my backpack.
So you folded it to around A4 size. How did your POE experience go Tom?
Old Mar 6th 2018, 12:34 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I put mine in my rucksack with the end folded over as Pulaski suggests. They did not comment on it when I pulled it out at POE.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 1:15 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

When I went through Orlando last year, mine was stamped with a 2 year expiry date. Didn't make any difference though, since I received the actual Green Card 2 months later.

As an aside, my employer thought my CR1 expiry date was my green card expiry date - I had to point out the difference between the single use CR1 entry visa and the Green Card endorsement.

And my envelope fitted in my carry on case, and even managed to stay reasonably flat.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Point of information Mr Pulaski: unless things have changed, the CBP officer will stamp a regular "ARC" (Alien Registration Card) entry stamp next to or slightly over the visa. Thus endorsed, it is the visa that serves as the temporary I-551. As I understand it there is a separate temporary I-551 stamp but that usually gets issued by USCIS as required, not by CBP.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Was told to go to secondary after I got my checked bag. When I retrieved my bag I headed over to secondary and immediately was given my passport back and told to get married.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
Was told to go to secondary after I got my checked bag. When I retrieved my bag I headed over to secondary and immediately was given my passport back and told to get married.
Excellent so no real issues
Old Mar 6th 2018, 5:28 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside regarding "around A4 size": A4 is a metric size not used in the US. The US standard is 8.5" x 11". In other words, US "letter size" is wider but shorter than A4. No big thing, but it sometimes creates problems in copying or scanning documents.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
As an aside regarding "around A4 size": A4 is a metric size not used in the US. The US standard is 8.5" x 11". In other words, US "letter size" is wider but shorter than A4. No big thing, but it sometimes creates problems in copying or scanning documents.
Very good point. I do need to get back into my American state of mind.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Good point. My immigration folder has a bunch of different sizes all crammed into the US letter size holders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.