Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

In beginning of immigrant visa (DCF) process.. help!

Wikiposts

In beginning of immigrant visa (DCF) process.. help!

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:47 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In beginning of immigrant visa (DCF) process.. help!

Do you really mean "from" the UK or US, or do you mean "to" the [USCIS office in] the UK or US?

It makes no difference where you are when you post the I-130 package, whether it's addressed to the UK field office or to the US lockbox. It does make a difference where your place of residence is at the time that you send it off.

Am I correct that your present place of residence is the UK? And that next month when you'll "be back next month to visit family for a few weeks" your place of residence will still be the UK? If so, it seems to me that you should file to the UK field office so why not do it now, from the UK. Why wait a month to be in the USA, adding a month to the time to approval, to mail it back to the UK?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by lib1109
Am I better off filing the I-130 from the UK or from the US? I'll be back next month to visit family for a few weeks and wasn't sure if one was better than the other.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:19 am
Account Closed

lib1109 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply, Jeff. I'm currently residing in the UK. I'm moving back to the states for good in July. I haven't filed yet because the UK Border Agency still has my spouse visa paperwork including our marriage license. Was just curious if it made a difference if I mailed from inside the UK or inside the US. I'll just mail from the UK as soon as I get my license back.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Was just curious if it made a difference if I mailed from inside the UK or inside the US. I'll just mail from the UK as soon as I get my license back.
Your use of the word "from" is the confusing bit. Yes, you can mail it to the US from either the UK or the US... but if you're already in the UK, you can also mail it directly to London - and bypass the whole US thing. You don't need to send it to the US just because you're going to be there at some point in the future.

Ian
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Hi Ian,

What is my best way to get my husband over to America for good before our baby comes in October? Is it possible??
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian,

What is my best way to get my husband over to America for good before our baby comes in October? Is it possible??
The first step is for you to file an I-130 and supporting documents directly to London. After that, the process takes about 8 to 10 months. There are more steps that your husband will do, after the I-130 gets approved.

If your husband doesn't have his Immigrant Visa by the time the baby is due, he can come to the USA as a visitor on the VWP, to be with you for the birth. Then he'll return to the UK to finish up his Immigrant Visa process.

That's the only way it can be done. There is no way to guarantee he'll get his Immigrant Visa before October. You'll just have to start the process and deal with it as time goes by.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 22nd 2012 at 5:41 am. Reason: removed snide comment
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:43 am
Account Closed

I'm hiring an immigration attorney and won't need any further help.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I've closed this thread because:

1. The OP got her answers from us
2. The OP is going to hire an immigration attorney from this point forward
3. It's going too far off topic.

Rene