Bad News in Ankara

Old Mar 19th 2004, 3:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bad News in Ankara

Hi All.

Of all things, last Monday one of Sadegh's workers up and abandoned his job at the shop, stealing several carpets (belonging to clients), and worst of all, he broke into Sadegh's briefcase and took some of the contents. Among this was Sadegh's sealed medical report for his interview. Evidently the guy thought there might be a wad of money or valuables in such a sealed envelope with English writing on it.

OK, not a big problem...Sadegh is currenly working on getting another medical done (he talked to the American hospital in Istanbul and they said they don't keep a copy, he has to do a new medical).

Now the problem is....he received his interview letter today! We were all excited....he called me and we opened the UPS envelope together. Today is Friday, March 19. They scheduled his interview for Monday, March 22 at 10:30 a.m!!!! There is no way he can make that, and have everything by then....with the only 2 days to get things done, being the weekend!! Why is it everyone else I've seen going through Ankara gets an interview date for 3 weeks later, and ours gets put for 3 DAYS later?? There's no way he can make that appointment. The visa unit is closed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and doesn't accept calls until 10:30 a.m.

I've sent an email to Ankara requesting an interview date for mid-April. Besides not having his medical now, he is also still trying to get his police report, now we find out he needs a court record which is evidently a separate document than the police one, they need a missing W-2 from my 2002 taxes, and I have all the original documents to show at the interview, with me here in the states, because I was going to bring them with me when I go for his interview!!

My only hope is that their March 22nd date was a typo and they meant April 22. I have no idea if it is better to do what we did, and reschedule the interview, or if it's better to go to an interview with nothing to show. I mean, nothing. No originals, no medical, no police record, no court record. We had to make some kind of decision, and went for emailing asking a later interview date.

When he called at 4 this morning with the good news of his interview date, we never expected it to be in 3 days, 2 of which are weekends. That's unreal.

Probably not much anyone can advise now, we've done what we thought was right, and just have to wait and see what kind of date we get next. Just wanted to keep you all posted.

Rene
Old Mar 19th 2004, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

WiAnSiempre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bad News in Ankara

Ohhh geez, Rene - what a nightmare! I'm so sorry to hear. I can't believe they gave you such a quick date. Maybe it was a typo, but then how do you even find out since you only have the weekend! Man...I hope he can get another medical soon and re-schedule the interview. I'm praying for you and understand your frustration. Try to stay positive

Angela
Old Mar 19th 2004, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Me - Illinois, USA / Husband - Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Michi is an unknown quantity at this point

Renee,

I'm sorry to hear this this happened to Sadegh. Who would have thought they would give you an interview date so soon?? I guess that's kind of good and bad, since his medical was stolen . Hopefully they can re-schedule his interview in time for him to get a new medical done and get that police report once and for all!! I guess if you don't get a chance and get it rescheduled, I would have Sadegh show up anyway for the interview. Hopefully he can explain what happened and they can then re-schedule his interview.

Anyways, good luck and keep us updated,

Lily,
Old Mar 19th 2004, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

vinnic is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear about your troubles too. Wish I could offer some advice. All I can say is that we had a quick interview date too. We received our letter on a Saturday, and the interview was scheduled for the next Thursday, only five days apart. Good luck.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

tmushen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi All.

Of all things, last Monday one of Sadegh's workers up and abandoned his job at the shop, stealing several carpets (belonging to clients), and worst of all, he broke into Sadegh's briefcase and took some of the contents. Among this was Sadegh's sealed medical report for his interview. Evidently the guy thought there might be a wad of money or valuables in such a sealed envelope with English writing on it.

OK, not a big problem...Sadegh is currenly working on getting another medical done (he talked to the American hospital in Istanbul and they said they don't keep a copy, he has to do a new medical).

Now the problem is....he received his interview letter today! We were all excited....he called me and we opened the UPS envelope together. Today is Friday, March 19. They scheduled his interview for Monday, March 22 at 10:30 a.m!!!! There is no way he can make that, and have everything by then....with the only 2 days to get things done, being the weekend!! Why is it everyone else I've seen going through Ankara gets an interview date for 3 weeks later, and ours gets put for 3 DAYS later?? There's no way he can make that appointment. The visa unit is closed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and doesn't accept calls until 10:30 a.m.

I've sent an email to Ankara requesting an interview date for mid-April. Besides not having his medical now, he is also still trying to get his police report, now we find out he needs a court record which is evidently a separate document than the police one, they need a missing W-2 from my 2002 taxes, and I have all the original documents to show at the interview, with me here in the states, because I was going to bring them with me when I go for his interview!!

My only hope is that their March 22nd date was a typo and they meant April 22. I have no idea if it is better to do what we did, and reschedule the interview, or if it's better to go to an interview with nothing to show. I mean, nothing. No originals, no medical, no police record, no court record. We had to make some kind of decision, and went for emailing asking a later interview date.

When he called at 4 this morning with the good news of his interview date, we never expected it to be in 3 days, 2 of which are weekends. That's unreal.

Probably not much anyone can advise now, we've done what we thought was right, and just have to wait and see what kind of date we get next. Just wanted to keep you all posted.

Rene
Rene,
I don't think it's a typo because my wife has an interview the same day at the same time. I just checked the interview schedule and there are 2 scheduled K1 interviews that day at 10:30AM but on April 22nd there are no K1 visa interviews at 10:30AM. You can vertify the interview date and time at this website: http://ankara.usembassy.gov/CONSULAR/IVIS.HTM
You should be able to delay but make sure you call on Monday.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 4:28 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene,

Ever heard of Murphy's law?

Leslie

Hi All.

Rene
Old Mar 19th 2004, 4:31 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Rene

Sorry to hear of your difficulties and hope that you can work this out to your satisfaction.

On a note to readers of this post, this is one of the very good reasons why you do not return the checklist to the US Consulate stating you have the documentation and are free to have the interview whenever it is scheduled, if you do not have them. Counting on the US Consulate being slow or being fast or that the police clearance will arrive in time or the medical results, whatever. You are told not to return the checklist unless you have all the physical documentation in hand.

Again, Rene, hope that whatever way you decide to proceed gives you the results that are satisfactory to you both.

Rete
Old Mar 19th 2004, 4:51 am
Scott and Nanette

ScottHenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Cripes, Rene... Really sorry to hear about all this. As a business owner I know first hand how hard it is when someone does harm to your company and property. I suppose the best thing to do is keep your chin up and remember that karma does indeed exsist and chances are that the thief will never amount to anything in life other than what he/she is...

Scott
Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:42 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

What is Ankara's procedure as far as the appointment date goes? In Morocco, there was no "turning in" of the checklist. They send you the checklist with your appointment date. There was no packet 4, only a packet 3. In Khalid's case he had approximately one month to collect all of the requested documents and get his medical done. Three days would have been impossible.

Leslie

Originally posted by Rete
Rene

Sorry to hear of your difficulties and hope that you can work this out to your satisfaction.

On a note to readers of this post, this is one of the very good reasons why you do not return the checklist to the US Consulate stating you have the documentation and are free to have the interview whenever it is scheduled, if you do not have them. Counting on the US Consulate being slow or being fast or that the police clearance will arrive in time or the medical results, whatever. You are told not to return the checklist unless you have all the physical documentation in hand.

Again, Rene, hope that whatever way you decide to proceed gives you the results that are satisfactory to you both.

Rete
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:26 am
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

Oh gosh, it's amazing the number of things that keep going wrong with your case. Can't sadegh just go to the interview on the 22nd? He could tell them that he was robbed, and some of the documents he was bringing were among the stolen stuff. One would think they would be understanding and let him send that stuff in after the interview. Besides, even if he had everything with him, they still would not grant the visa right away. He still has to go through the administrative processing. While that is pending he could get the police certificate and another medical done.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 7:08 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All.

Rene

Aww sweetie!! Why does all this have to happen to you girl?? I am so sorry Rene. I hope you can get a hold of them and change the date!! Do you want all of us to write the embassy and BEG for a later date???
(((((RENE))))) here is a huggie!!
Old Mar 19th 2004, 8:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for your positive thoughts.

To Rete and Leslie, there was no checklist for Ankara. They scheduled the interview date after reviewing the documents in the P3. They said it was ok to schedule the interview lacking the police certficiate, but to then be lacking every other thing you're supposed to bring - just seems silly to atttempt it. If Sadegh were to go to his interview on Monday, he would once again be leaving his shop unattended (his older brother has gone back to Iran, and he's waiting for his younger brother to arrive in his place) and perhaps lose even more to a potential thief.

To tmushen, yes I checked the interview date website, and of course they updated it today, and yes, his is on there for Monday March 22 so it was not a typo. They updated it on March 16th and our case was not listed. The interview letter was sent out UPS on the 18th. They must have set the interview date on the 17th or 18th, for the 22nd.

I suppose he could still go anyway with nothing in hand, but since they will most likely schedule another interview date anyway, to bring in originals and the medical, we decided to just try for one interview date at a later time instead of making 2 trips. Hopefully this will be OK with the consulate.

If they had given us a date 3 weeks later as they seem to do for everyone else, he could have easily redone his medical, I would be there with the originals, and who knows, maybe he would have even gotten his police certificate by then.

But for now, we've asked for a later date and hope they can accommodate. I was totally freaked out this morning when we saw the date.

To the rest of you....thank you so much for posting and for your continued support. Will keep you posted.

Rene
Old Mar 19th 2004, 8:56 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Man, what bad luck in an otherwise good luck situation. Imagine you did have all the paperwork and you'd be set to go for the interview! Wouldn't that be awesome, huh? I'm sorry to hear about all the stuff that happened though. I hope you can all get it sorted out asap!
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Rene, I am so sorry to hear about your bad luck, what gives? I only found out about this latest situation of yours by reading a comment by Tmushen, so here I am, late again!

Under any other circumstances, you'd have been jumping for joy at an interview date only 3 days away - in England we call that "Sod's Law". I've found out recently that regardless of how organised (AR!) you are and how many plans you make, there are just some situations that you cannot control.

So now, 10:30am has been and gone in Ankara and I hope you have some answers by now. May the sun shine down on you and bring you some luck and good news soon.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to hear an update from you soon.

Karen