Awaiting Travel

Old Apr 15th 2020, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Palmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Awaiting Travel

Hi All,

Firstly, I hope that everyone is safe and well in this truly terrible time that we are all going through.

I thought that I would create a thread as this week is interestingly the week that myself and my family were due to relocate to Dallas, TX from the UK, which has obviously taken a backseat due to the pandemic. My wife and I have completed our IR-1 process and I received my passport back with I-551 sticker and white envelope approx 4 weeks ago via DCF London.

Now that we have unpacked all of our belongings which we had packed ready to go, and we thankfully still have somewhere to live, I thought that I would reach out and see if anyone else is in this position?

My IV expires mid August (thankfully my medical was just before my embassy interview) but if theoretically speaking we are not able to travel before this date, I assume there are processes in place to renew my I-551? Also, I got my police certificate in January so I assume this is only valid for 6 months, as is my medical?

Grateful for any feedback. There must be many people in this position right now.

Thanks,
Palmer

Last edited by Palmer30; Apr 15th 2020 at 1:14 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 2:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Awaiting Travel

In light of the fact that international travel is banned at the moment, the US Embassy can extend the validity of the IR-1 visa in your passport. BTW the I-551 stamp will be placed in your passport at the POE. You do not have an I-551 at the moment.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Palmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Rete. I did wonder if that was the case. If it does come to it, hopefully it will be as simple as extending the validity of the visa and I will not have to resubmit paperwork.

I have been checking the US Embassy website to see if they have any information about the process with no luck. If my visa expires, I assume I will have to contact them and advise them of my position and see if they can provide me with some options?

Thanks for clarification on the I-551!

Old Apr 15th 2020, 6:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Palmer30
I have been checking the US Embassy website to see if they have any information about the process with no luck. If my visa expires, I assume I will have to contact them and advise them of my position and see if they can provide me with some options?
It wouldn't be surprising if another medical, if the 6 months has lapsed, isn't required.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 7:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
It wouldn't be surprising if another medical, if the 6 months has lapsed, isn't required.
It's possible that they might want an abbreviated medical just to determine that they do not have covid-19. In the past, others have had their visa's extended w/o issue.

That said, in today's climate, we can only guesstimate what will be needed, i.e. medical, police clearance certificate updated, and if US financial sponsor, new I-864?
Old Apr 15th 2020, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

stuwoolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Firstly, I hope that everyone is safe and well in this truly terrible time that we are all going through.

I thought that I would create a thread as this week is interestingly the week that myself and my family were due to relocate to Dallas, TX from the UK, which has obviously taken a backseat due to the pandemic. My wife and I have completed our IR-1 process and I received my passport back with I-551 sticker and white envelope approx 4 weeks ago via DCF London.

Now that we have unpacked all of our belongings which we had packed ready to go, and we thankfully still have somewhere to live, I thought that I would reach out and see if anyone else is in this position?

My IV expires mid August (thankfully my medical was just before my embassy interview) but if theoretically speaking we are not able to travel before this date, I assume there are processes in place to renew my I-551? Also, I got my police certificate in January so I assume this is only valid for 6 months, as is my medical?

Grateful for any feedback. There must be many people in this position right now.

Thanks,
Palmer
Isnt a Police Certificate acceptable as long as it is no more than 12 months old?

Grateful for clarification.

Stay safe.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 4:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are still flight, obviously USC's qualify and so do their spouses.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 12:58 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There are still flight, obviously USC's qualify and so do their spouses.
I was going to mention this too. There is actually no reason, beyond desire to avoid the virus, for you to allow your visa to expire.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
I was going to mention this too. There is actually no reason, beyond desire to avoid the virus, for you to allow your visa to expire.
This is a factor and had been on my mind. However, having a 1 year old daughter who would be travelling with us, one has to think about what the right thing to do is and putting her in harms way to travel and take that risk, in my opinion would not be right.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stuwoolf
Isnt a Police Certificate acceptable as long as it is no more than 12 months old?

Grateful for clarification.

Stay safe.
My apologies, you are correct. I checked my paperwork and UK police Certificates are valid for 12 months.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
It's possible that they might want an abbreviated medical just to determine that they do not have covid-19. In the past, others have had their visa's extended w/o issue.

That said, in today's climate, we can only guesstimate what will be needed, i.e. medical, police clearance certificate updated, and if US financial sponsor, new I-864?
That is what I was thinking too.

So I gather from feedback that there is nothing formal from the US/US Embassy that is attainable or has been posted anywhere that I have missed, which gives any form of guidance? I guess I will try and contact them in due course and see what information I can get....
Old Apr 16th 2020, 2:27 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No there has been no blanket announcement regarding visa extensions.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
No there has been no blanket announcement regarding visa extensions.
I think I may have answered my own question.

Taken from the US Embassy website.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/information...d-19-outbreak/

"Immigrant and fiancé(e) visas cannot be extended. However, if you are unable to travel within the validity period of your visa due to circumstances beyond your control, you can request visa reissuance. Please monitor our website for the latest updates. After normal operations have resumed and your unused visa has expired, please reply to this email at that time to request visa reissuance. We will send you information about how to submit your passport, visa package (if applicable) and a letter explaining why you were unable to travel and requesting visa reissuance. Please note that you will be required to undergo a new medical examination and pay a new visa fee before the visa can be reissued."
Old Apr 16th 2020, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

stuwoolf is an unknown quantity at this point

........Please note that you will be required to undergo a new medical examination and pay a new visa fee before the visa can be reissued."
Ouch!
Old Apr 16th 2020, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stuwoolf
Ouch!
Yep! Plus, the additional fee’s for the medical!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.