Awaiting Green Card

Old Jun 30th 2020, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Palmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Awaiting Green Card

Hello,

I arrived in the US just over 5 weeks ago via DFW airport on an IR-1 visa. I ticked the box on my DS260 to have my SSN and Green Card sent to my address and I also paid the Green Card production fee prior to my arrival at the POE in the US.

I expected to wait a while for my SSN to reach me due to the current economic climate, but after the initial 3 weeks had passed I decided to contact my local Social Security office. On giving them my information, they advised that there wasn't a case in their system under my name. I explained my situation and that I have a job and need a SSN for my paycheck, and they arranged an appointment at my local office - despite the offices being closed due to COVID-19. I attended the appointment with my passport, I-551 stamp and my completed SS-5 form. (Application for a SSN). My SSN should be with me in the next two weeks. Great, glad I checked.

This has now got me thinking about my Green Card. Is there anywhere I can check the status of my card or when I should expect to receive it? Is anyone else in the same position at the moment?

Thanks,
Palmer

Old Jun 30th 2020, 9:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Awaiting Green Card

I am not aware of a place to track your plastic green card, but you have a whole year until you need to be concerned. The I-551 stamp in your passport is legal proof of your PR status for 1 year after entry.

Rene
Old Jul 1st 2020, 11:55 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, no where to check on it. Personally I think you are far too soon for the current climate, I wouldn't even worry about it until it's been 90 days. It's not like you need it right now, your stamp is good for a year.

I personally wouldn't have gone to the SSA yet either, as this can cause more problems if they end up having to manually verify you, but too late for that.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Palmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information.

I didn't really have a choice with my SSN. As we all know, its very difficult to do certain things in the US without one. I explained my situation to the person on the phone and they advised me to come to the office, especially as there was no record in their system whatsoever of my existence, so lets hope they can track back our conversations should it cause more issues.

I understand the validity on the stamp; I was just curious so I could put my mind at ease if there was a quickfire way of checking progress online somewhere. I also do not really like carrying around my passport on me, which I have needed to do at certain times as this is my only form of legal proof of my status.

I guess I will sit tight for a few months and hope it turns up in the mail.

Old Jul 1st 2020, 4:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Palmer30
.... I also do not really like carrying around my passport on me, which I have needed to do at certain times as this is my only form of legal proof of my status. ....
I understand your concern, but unless you live close to the Mexican border, the prospects of you being unexpectedly challenged to "prove your status" is as close to zero as makes no difference. ..... I have certainly never been challenged or questioned other than on specific and predictable occasions, such as when updating my SS card, applying for a mortgage, obtaining a DL, etc. Even when I have been stopped at a random, daytime (non-DUI) police or sheriff's pop-up check points, and the officer has asked, lightheartedly, about my accent, there has never been any question about my status or right to live in the US.

So far as getting your physical green card goes, you may be in for a considerable wait, as I hear that green cards for new immigrants were already taking 90-180 days, in 2019, so long before the coronavirus pandemic hit.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 1st 2020 at 4:31 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Just to update this thread and perhaps restore some confidence to anyone else in the same position as me; 59 days after entering the US at the POE, I have received my physical card in the mail today!
Very suprised it came this quickly based on other people experiences and the virus.
hooray!

Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Palmer30
Just to update this thread and perhaps restore some confidence to anyone else in the same position as me; 59 days after entering the US at the POE, I have received my physical card in the mail today!
Very suprised it came this quickly based on other people experiences and the virus.
hooray!
Congratulations, that's actually much sooner than many people have received their card in recent years.

I hope yours is correct - mine came after about six weeks (in 2001), but had two material errors - the card had my name altered, to a different word, like Jones changed to Bones, and they changed my nationality!
Old Jul 29th 2020, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

I must admit, the first thing I checked was for errors! Thankfully, it all looks good!

I hope you managed to get yours sorted out easily. I have heard the nightmare stories of cards arriving with mistakes!
Old Sep 8th 2020, 4:40 am
ech

PC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to beholdPC01 is a splendid one to behold

Mine came almost 6 months after entry so a mere 50 odd days is remarkable. You may have petitioned to work, so you might have got a red card in the post before your first green card arrived.

Last edited by PC01; Sep 8th 2020 at 4:43 am.