Wikiposts

Auto insurance grief

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

thedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nice
Default Auto insurance grief

Hi all,

We moved to Florida last month after I went through DCF in London. Having a lot of problems obtaining the basics. Still have not received a social security number, although I did pass my Florida driving test (if driving round a parking lot could be construed as a test).

The latest cause for aggravation is auto insurance. Please could anyone recommend any auto insurance companies? I've wasted a lot of my time with Geico. Initially they were biting my hand off to insure me. I got a quote and everything. Later when I phoned them up to question something they suddenly decided that because I had only been in Florida for one month and only just passed my test that I was ineligible, despite their previous insistence that this wasn't a problem. It seems they are quite happy to use an Englishman to advertise their auto insurance, but not to insure them. I have been driving for 16 years with a no claims record, and 1 no fault claim when I was rear ended. It seems baffling that they will ensure a 16 year old, but not someone with 2 licenses and 16 years of experience.

thank you for reading any any advice
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auto insurance grief

Originally Posted by thedudeabides
Hi all,

We moved to Florida last month after I went through DCF in London. Having a lot of problems obtaining the basics. Still have not received a social security number, although I did pass my Florida driving test (if driving round a parking lot could be construed as a test).

The latest cause for aggravation is auto insurance. Please could anyone recommend any auto insurance companies? I've wasted a lot of my time with Geico. Initially they were biting my hand off to insure me. I got a quote and everything. Later when I phoned them up to question something they suddenly decided that because I had only been in Florida for one month and only just passed my test that I was ineligible, despite their previous insistence that this wasn't a problem. It seems they are quite happy to use an Englishman to advertise their auto insurance, but not to insure them. I have been driving for 16 years with a no claims record, and 1 no fault claim when I was rear ended. It seems baffling that they will ensure a 16 year old, but not someone with 2 licenses and 16 years of experience.

thank you for reading any any advice
www.progressive.com

I must say I cannot see the problem with Geico ...
unless you hid a material fact ..
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I always had a experience with progressive. When I was a teen with several accidents and not insurable with just about everyone, they insured me.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:32 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

We're insured with progressive.... When hubby put me on his insurance his premiums actually went down - despite the fact I was driving on a UK licence!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
www.progressive.com

I must say I cannot see the problem with Geico ...
unless you hid a material fact ..

Me, either. Hubby got insurance with them while still only having his Canadian license.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

thedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nice

thank you very much for your really helpful replies.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:06 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I found in NJ at least was that speaking to someone at the state office of the MVC, I was told that insurance companies were not allowed to refuse to insure me - now, I'm sure that they could charge what they liked, just not refuse. They told me if I had any problems to contact them and they would act on it. I didn't have a problem (although did have high rates), but it might be worth trying to find out if your state has similar rules.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:07 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
One thing I found in NJ at least was that speaking to someone at the state office of the MVC, I was told that insurance companies were not allowed to refuse to insure me - now, I'm sure that they could charge what they liked, just not refuse. They told me if I had any problems to contact them and they would act on it. I didn't have a problem (although did have high rates), but it might be worth trying to find out if your state has similar rules.
Your kidding ..not in Florida ...
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:20 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

State Farm
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:21 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Your kidding ..not in Florida ...
I forgot that Florida thinks it's in the Wild West, and that should be "you're".

I definitely suggest Progressive though - I was with Geico for a while, and Progressive gives me more coverage for less money.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Geico here!

Never had any problems with them or increases. We had one car that completley flooded out in Tropical Storm Allison (son's Mustang) and one motorcycle that got flooded in Tropical Storm Fran, Geico were great and very quick to sort it all out. I've always been happy with them.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Geico here!

Never had any problems with them or increases. We had one car that completley flooded out in Tropical Storm Allison (son's Mustang) and one motorcycle that got flooded in Tropical Storm Fran, Geico were great and very quick to sort it all out. I've always been happy with them.

Me, too, SM. Have been a client since the late 70's with the same policy number. Yes, pay a bit more but when needed they are johnny on the spot for a claim, insurance card, insuring new vehicles, etc.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Allstate
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:26 am
Ray

Originally Posted by lisa67
Allstate
Thats how I met Joycee .. she scammed me with an Allstate policy ...
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Allstate
I'll vote for Allstate too. They are the only people here in NC who accepted my UK driving history so their premiums were a fraction of what everyone else wanted to charge me.

Last edited by English Muffin; Oct 23rd 2008 at 2:40 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.