Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Attending Interview with Spouse

Attending Interview with Spouse

Old Jul 23rd 2015, 10:21 am
Just Joined

alisongarf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Attending Interview with Spouse

Hello, hubby is UKC and has his marriage-based visa interview on 29 July. Can I attend the interview with him, and if so, how do I get permission from the US Embassy? I searched the Embassy London website but couldn't find details on how to request entry with him. It also wasn't in his interview invite letter.
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

sarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attending Interview with Spouse

Someone just posted about this. It really should be a sticky!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...cr-1-a-861492/
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Thank you!! Just went to the link provided and submitted the request.

Originally Posted by sarahincos
Someone just posted about this. It really should be a sticky!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...cr-1-a-861492/
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can be allowed into the building to wait in the waiting area. You won't be able to attend the actual interview.

Rene
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

sparkleandglitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Rene has a lot more experience than me, so I'm sure she's right that USC spouses not allowed to the interview proper. I wouldn't be surprised if my experience is not the norm.

It might be the CO's discretion, but my husband was allowed to go up to both counters (handing over documents and the second 'interview' bit). At the 'interview portion' our officer said that it was OK for Mr. Sparkle to be there and he could add comment/information, but that she would be directing all questions for me to answer.

These tips were mentioned by other posters somewhere else but I'll repeat just in case:
- Print out the email confirming that they have added you to the list and bring it with you on the day. It might not be necessary but it made things run smoothly on our interview day. Make sure you bring photo ID too.
- If you haven't had a reply confirming that they've been added, chase them up using the same enquiries web form.

My own tip:
- Bring your own snacks and a good book/entertainment. They had closed the snack stand (only hot drinks) and they were only showing an information presentation and cbeebies kids TV when we were there!!

Everyone may say that the applicant does not 'need' their USC spouse there, but I'm a massive worrier, so it helped to have someone hold my hand, confirm for the 100th time that I did have all the documents, and listen out for my number when we were waiting.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Sparkle!
Our interview is at 1pm. What time should we plan to arrive at the U.S. Embassy?
Old Jul 26th 2015, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alisongarf
What time should we plan to arrive at the U.S. Embassy?
In time for your interview. Anything more is up to you!

Ian
Old Jul 26th 2015, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, Sparkle!
Our interview is at 1pm. What time should we plan to arrive at the U.S. Embassy?
You're welcome
I wondered this too - some people with morning appointments talked of queues and I settled on arriving 30 minutes before. There was no line outside when we went.

Our interview was at 1pm, so I was aiming to get there at 12:30. Ended up dashing from bond street after I missed my intended train and getting there for 12:50 ( late running work phone calls!) This wasn't an issue for getting in (though it made me a bit flustered and stressed at the time). Although we probably got a later number for arriving later, people who arrived early probably waited just as long overall.

Personally, just like any other important appointment in life, I'd aim to be in the area (not at the embassy) 30-45 minutes before.
If you run late, you have some buffer time (like I did).
If you get there earlier and it's a nice day, you can sit in Grosvenor Square's park - next to the embassy building - until they allow you in, which is 30 minutes before your appointment. If the weather is awful, Bond Street tube with the M&S food and other shops is about a 10 minute walk away, so you can hang out there.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 3:55 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Take cash.

The card machines were broken when I went and apparently it happens fairly often.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by username.exe
Take cash.

The card machines were broken when I went and apparently it happens fairly often.
Good point - having cash also means you can pay in pounds and save paying commission for paying dollars on your credit/debit card
Old Jul 27th 2015, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Again -- thank you!!
What did you do with your phones? It's true we can't bring them into the embassy, right?
Old Jul 27th 2015, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

sarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond repute

I, too, was allowed to go to the counter with my husband and she said the same thing to me.

We ended up sitting in the park for about 45 minutes but were allowed in at 12:30! We were there for about 3 hours
Old Jul 27th 2015, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Again -- thank you!!
What did you do with your phones? It's true we can't bring them into the embassy, right?
Mobile phones, kindles and tablets are fine now, big bags and laptops aren't.
The Interview & documents required in support of the application | Embassy of the United States
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

catawampus is an unknown quantity at this point

Alison - how did the interview go!?!?!?
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Great -- approved!!!
The interview itself lasted less than 10 minutes. No trick questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.