Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Atlanta Naturalization and Oath Ceremony

Atlanta Naturalization and Oath Ceremony

Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:21 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Atlanta Naturalization and Oath Ceremony

Originally Posted by meauxna
update SSA
Speaking of SSA - I just came back from the SSA to get my status changed. Unfortunately they told me they would need to put the change on hold for 10 business days from the naturalization date. Has anyone else had this happen? If this applies to everyone then I wish it would state somewhere on the SSA website or in the papers the immigration office gives you to wait for that amount of time. At least she says she'll file the papers at that time and I wont' have to come back, but it still would have been good to know.

Does anybody know if I have to wait to file for the passport until SSA clears things up on their end, or can I go ahead and file without my SS status being updated? (Or will they have the same "wait 10 business days" rule?)
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steffi
Speaking of SSA - I just came back from the SSA to get my status changed. Unfortunately they told me they would need to put the change on hold for 10 business days from the naturalization date. Has anyone else had this happen? If this applies to everyone then I wish it would state somewhere on the SSA website or in the papers the immigration office gives you to wait for that amount of time. At least she says she'll file the papers at that time and I wont' have to come back, but it still would have been good to know.

Does anybody know if I have to wait to file for the passport until SSA clears things up on their end, or can I go ahead and file without my SS status being updated? (Or will they have the same "wait 10 business days" rule?)
Sadegh turned in his new SS application the very same day he took the oath, they had a table set up right there for all the new USCs who wanted to update their SS status. They didn't mention anything about having to wait 10 days to do this, and he got his new card about 10 days later. He even had a name change involved.

You don't need your new SS status updated to get the US passport. Sadegh also applied for his US passport the same day as his oath ceremony, right after the ceremony we went right over to the passport office and sent the application off. He got it expedited, and receive his passport in under a week.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, the SSA was wrong; if you showed your natz certificate that should have been sufficient proof (I've not heard of this one before...).
Either way, if you've made the application change, just let them do their thing and your status will be updated.

The passport application does not depend on the SSA action & vice versa. You can apply for your pp immediately; they often have the forms etc right there at the oath ceremonies.

Sigh, nearly done with it.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:26 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info.

Another worrysome part was that when she had me sign the paper my name wasn't hyphened. I told her that was wrong and she said it's the same as my old SS card. I pulled out my card and told her "look, there's a hyphen on my old card". She told me she'd correct it. Who wants to take bets that I'll get a spelling error on my card?!

Good to hear though that the passport won't be an issue. With today's "snow storm" (by Atlanta standards) I'll plan to do that next week. Already got the form filled out and the photos ready.

Oh, also put my voter registration in the mail today, yay.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 1:21 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yay! Congratulations, Citizen Steffi!!!!

Gads, yer making me feel old here, what an amazing journey you've had.
Hope all is going well with the business & house and that you'll still drop in on us every now and again!

Passport, register to vote & update SSA & you are d o n e!
Oh, and the eventual call for jury duty.
It does bring back memories reading Steffi's update, seems like yesterday,we were starting out.

CONGRATS STEFFI!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 6:19 pm
K1 via London

Went to the post office to get my passport submitted!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Lucky ...
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
Oh yeah. What's the answer to question 3? I'm going to have to start learning all this stuff!
Nancy Pelosi
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:45 pm
K1 via London

Got my U.S. passport in the mail today! I thought this would "seal the deal" for me, but it still feels surreal! Maybe it'll feel real when I get to use it??

No news about the new social security card yet. No surprise there...
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Awwww, that's so cute!

Sadegh was excited to receive his US passport...but he REALLY felt the impact of it the first time he used. It was during a 6-hour layover in Amsterdam on his way to Turkey last year. He was soooo happy to be able to just walk out of the airport, go have lunch in Amsterdam and look around a bit, without a visa! He really felt the freedom of that moment.

Rene
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:55 pm
K1 via London

Yeah, it'll be crazy to use!

And it only took 3.5 weeks to get! My Naturalization Certificate also came in a seperate envelope.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steffi
Got my U.S. passport in the mail today! I thought this would "seal the deal" for me, but it still feels surreal! Maybe it'll feel real when I get to use it??
Love that big beautiful smile!

Congratulations, and yes, I think it will feel official the first time you use it. Better get a trip planned!!
DH says that was the best 'Welcome home' he ever had from a CBP dude.